Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007296 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15040 on: August 13, 2021, 10:52:38 am »
Pins are all lubed.  Squeezing the piston in on this one was hard - much harder than the others. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15041 on: August 13, 2021, 11:09:33 am »
Pins are all lubed.  Squeezing the piston in on this one was hard - much harder than the others.

Then you probably need a new caliper if its semi jammed.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: August 13, 2021, 11:14:38 am »
Well...the car's worthless...so...meh... :P ::) ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: August 14, 2021, 12:36:01 am »
Yesterday when I was done I made it out of the garage...4 feet fwd, then back into the garage...screeeeeech!!
 :P ::) Dammit...

So this AM...pull it apart - figured it was front left and I was right but it wasn't what I thought it was. 
Doesn't take much to scratch the surface either, eh?

Turns out one of those aftermarket whatchamacallits slid off its mooring...

Good thing I still had the old ones in the garbage can!
Yup, that's crap!

Now it's all good as it should be.  No dragging sounds from anywhere...so hopefully I'm done for a bit.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #15044 on: August 14, 2021, 09:50:38 am »
Brought it in for an oil change and a new battery.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15045 on: August 14, 2021, 10:26:39 am »
Brought it to our detailer for a nose to tail paint correction and wax. No more ceramic for me. I like wax.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15046 on: August 14, 2021, 10:54:55 am »

And what did they say? (a little odessa humour for you)  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15047 on: August 14, 2021, 11:36:48 am »
Not worth making a new thread about it, so I'll post here.

My Dad bought a new truck two days ago.  He traded in his 2016 Chevy Colorado (V6) on a 2021 Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 5.3L V8.

A few weeks ago he and my Mum traded in their 10 year old Class C Sprinter RV and bought a new 17' Jayco couples travel trailer.  At 4500lbs, it's no lightweight, but was within the Colorado's tow rating.  Last week they went for their first trip in it to Fundy National Park, and well, my Dad reported back that he averaged about 42L/100kms!!!  :o  Apparently the V6 in the Colorado was working VERY hard pulling that little trailer up the hills. 

He had money left over from trading in the RV (trade in value was about $75k, and the new trailer was only about $40k), so I guess he decided that a bigger truck was in order.

So the Silverado Custom is essentially a 'base model' truck.  The Custom trim adds some exterior bits to the base WT trim, making it look like a nice truck, rather than a true base model.  Optional 5.3L V8 (with the old 6-speed), oil cooler, brake controller and G80 locking diff.  I think because the engine is working a lot less hard than the V6 in the Colorado, he'll get much improved fuel economy while towing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15048 on: August 14, 2021, 09:16:33 pm »
Not worth making a new thread about it, so I'll post here.

My Dad bought a new truck two days ago.  He traded in his 2016 Chevy Colorado (V6) on a 2021 Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 5.3L V8.

A few weeks ago he and my Mum traded in their 10 year old Class C Sprinter RV and bought a new 17' Jayco couples travel trailer.  At 4500lbs, it's no lightweight, but was within the Colorado's tow rating.  Last week they went for their first trip in it to Fundy National Park, and well, my Dad reported back that he averaged about 42L/100kms!!!  :o  Apparently the V6 in the Colorado was working VERY hard pulling that little trailer up the hills. 

He had money left over from trading in the RV (trade in value was about $75k, and the new trailer was only about $40k), so I guess he decided that a bigger truck was in order.

So the Silverado Custom is essentially a 'base model' truck.  The Custom trim adds some exterior bits to the base WT trim, making it look like a nice truck, rather than a true base model.  Optional 5.3L V8 (with the old 6-speed), oil cooler, brake controller and G80 locking diff.  I think because the engine is working a lot less hard than the V6 in the Colorado, he'll get much improved fuel economy while towing.

Good looking truck. 42L/100km is crazy...4500lbs is about the weight of the enclosed utility trailer (loaded) I use for work events and pulling it with the 5.7L Ram I get about 21L/100km...Ontario driving though, so flatter elevations.

Unloaded, a 5.3L GM gets very comparable, if not better, mileage than the V6 Colorado in my testing.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #15049 on: August 14, 2021, 11:01:20 pm »

And what did they say? (a little odessa humour for you)  ;D

;)

When they called to say the oil/filter change and battery were done, they mentioned that according to the service manual, it is due for new spark plugs.  The car runs fine - I've never noticed any performance issues re: loss of power or decreased fuel efficiency.  It's been fed premium fuel ever since I have owned it.  Anyway, I declined to get the new plugs today.  The car is due for a new timing belt and all the trimmings that go with that job (water pump, etc.) next summer, so I figure when the engine is all apart for that procedure, they can change the plugs as well.

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: August 15, 2021, 06:50:33 am »
So as Arthur Dent would know there is a crappy car rally held in Southern Alberta every year (except last year-thanks Kenny!) called the Great Beater Challenge-Stupid Cars, Stupid Cheap, Stupid Fun
This is going to be my third time running in it-this time with some classic Virgil Exner styling.
We literally dragged it out of a junkyard near Turner Valley for the princely sum of $250
And yesterday she made her first excursion out on the roads since 1985.

https://greatbeaterchallenge.com/

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: August 15, 2021, 08:27:37 am »

No...no...don't do it man...you can't!!  :-[ OK OK I give!!  :surrend: :'(  I...I...I like it...that's a nice looking truck... :-\ Never thought I'd hear those words outta my head.  :shake: Nice purchase for your dad (& mom).  :cheers:

Unloaded, a 5.3L GM gets very comparable, if not better, mileage than the V6 Colorado in my testing.

Many years ago, with the first iteration of the Colorado, my employer traded the (due for an upgrade) Chevy 1500 w/a 5.3 in for one and IIRC it had the 5 cyl engine, because the guy driving it put on a lot of miles every year for his particular job, and "we can save money on fuel" (I didn't think so at the time).  It was almost as basic as you could get, AC & CC and other than that, cheapass work truck. 

Well...less than 6 months later they swapped it for a new 1/2 ton with a 5.3 because wouldn't ya know it...the full size was actually better on gas, marginally as it might have been, and so much more comfortable (the guy driving it wasn't young and wasn't Colorado sized), that it did not stay long in our employ, and now the guys that do get co trucks, all get full size trucks.  Little didn't make them better, and if you need to carry something, at least you've got a box that you can carry something in.

So as Arthur Dent would know there is a crappy car rally held in Southern Alberta every year (except last year-thanks Kenny!) called the Great Beater Challenge-Stupid Cars, Stupid Cheap, Stupid Fun
This is going to be my third time running in it-this time with some classic Virgil Exner styling.
We literally dragged it out of a junkyard near Turner Valley for the princely sum of $250

That is bloody awesome in all its ugly Virgil Exner gloriousness...you should def win the Best Worst Ugly Cheap Car award.  Talk about an eye catcher...it's like...

But in an oddly satisfying way... ;D

The Scoffers surely won't understand.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: August 15, 2021, 08:36:56 am »

You did the Vice Grip Garage type of thing. :thumbup:

It's amazing what will actually still run and  drive after a bit of work.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15053 on: August 15, 2021, 01:09:58 pm »

:bow:

I'm very surprised no one grabbed the hubcaps while the car was in the junkyard.

Slant six powered, I'm assuming?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: August 15, 2021, 01:42:38 pm »

Nice!!! That is impressive. Similar to the '61 Laurentian we got on the road after the early 80s. At least you were smart and actually had a test drive. The GBC was literally the test for our Pontiac. My boys and I will be participating this year again. Sadly in the '92 Mustang but I do have a theme for I've been working on.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15055 on: August 15, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
I actually don't know what that is. My 60s/70s car knowledge is very minimal - is it a Valiant?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15056 on: August 15, 2021, 03:07:03 pm »
I actually don't know what that is. My 60s/70s car knowledge is very minimal - is it a Valiant?

Yes.

Offline redmont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 civic, '16 f150
« Reply #15057 on: August 15, 2021, 10:32:16 pm »
Today, I fitted new headlight bulbs on my Fusion. I also ordered a stainless steel exhaust tip from 4wheelonline.

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: August 16, 2021, 06:27:54 am »
Yes slant six powered. And technically its a 1960 Valiant V200-when Valiant was its own line and not yet a Plymouth.
Good thing I ran around in it-leaking heater core and about a million leaks in the rad. Going to have to find a donor radiator as it really is not fixable.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: August 16, 2021, 10:45:41 am »
We just bypassed the heater core on the Pontiac. Amazingly the radiator held.