Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007447 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14980 on: July 24, 2021, 07:13:44 pm »
Lost a dust cap on one of the trailer bearings on our way home from Blue Lake.  It spurred me to repack the bearings on both sides.  They were still in decent shape, but a bearing repack is something that can't be done too often.  I have nightmares of changing out a bearing on the side of he highway because one has burnt out due to poor maintenance.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: July 27, 2021, 07:27:46 pm »
Finally got around to changing out the cabin filter.

I don't think I'll wait as long next time. Yikes!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:05:25 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: July 27, 2021, 08:04:39 pm »
A bit dusty....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14983 on: July 27, 2021, 08:04:57 pm »
tortoise out for a Sunday drive...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: July 27, 2021, 08:05:56 pm »
A bit dusty....
I have no idea how it was still moving any air.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14985 on: July 27, 2021, 08:06:56 pm »

tortoise out for a Sunday drive...

A consequence of parking under a giant tree.... And putting off changing it...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #14986 on: July 28, 2021, 12:07:53 am »
Finally got around to changing out the cabin filter.

I don't think I'll wait as long next time. Yikes!

Looks like it works :)

Was this the Highlander? Any idea what direction the air flows through the filter (up or down)?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14987 on: July 28, 2021, 12:59:01 am »
It was the Golf. The air flows down.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #14988 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:23 am »
It was the Golf. The air flows down.

Thank you.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14989 on: July 28, 2021, 08:48:36 am »
I sent away for an Auto Trader quote on my car...you know, in case I want to buy a new one and sell or trade what I have!!!  Boy, can they go fack themselves or what!!
Ouch!

I know a dealer would have to see it first...but if all they'd offer is the high end?? Pissoff. No way this is worth barely over $3000. I was going to post it for $14,500 - OBO of course - figured WTF, if a 2010-12 Civic Si is still a $12-13,000 car with similar kms...why is mine only worth half - or apparently less than half (probably - no idea what Auto Trader's estimated Si price would be).
I mean...it's WAY more car than an Si and just as or more reliable too!

The only door ding the car has ever gotten...

Listen to that rumble...needs to be fixed.  ;D

$3000...that's less than the facking transfer case I replaced...barely more than the driveshaft it really needed instead.  For that, I'll keep it.   

It looks so nice though...what could you possibly replace it with that would be better?  Nothing...amIright? (stupid wants vs needs...certainly don't need a diff car or another payment)

Lost a dust cap on one of the trailer bearings on our way home from Blue Lake.  It spurred me to repack the bearings on both sides.  They were still in decent shape, but a bearing repack is something that can't be done too often.  I have nightmares of changing out a bearing on the side of he highway because one has burnt out due to poor maintenance.

My oldest, being the farmer at heart that he is, has "forced" re-greasing/packing the bearings on the camper every spring, no matter what. Easy job too: attach grease gun to nipple, squeeze new grease in until old grease is all forced out. Cheap insurance! He says.  This year we noticed that 2 of the wheels had some wiggle in them, so he showed me how to tighten them up (good thing he spent 10 yrs on a farm - oh wait, he still works there too - I wouldn't have known that otherwise), and now we're all good...'til next spring.  He even keeps a spread sheet of when each motorized item got its last oil change...OCD anyone?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:44:09 am by BWII »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14990 on: July 28, 2021, 08:50:47 am »
Will consider Lightning in trade though...obviously.  ;D  And cash. Pfft!  ::) :P

:rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14991 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:09 am »
^good looking car... but it's still a Ford at the end of the day  :stick:  :rofl:

At this point you just have to drive it until it dies  :rofl:

Quick look on Autotrader & around here that's about a $6k car with that mileage.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14992 on: July 28, 2021, 09:20:13 am »

My oldest, being the farmer at heart that he is, has "forced" re-greasing/packing the bearings on the camper every spring, no matter what. Easy job too: attach grease gun to nipple, squeeze new grease in until old grease is all forced out. Cheap insurance! He says.  This year we noticed that 2 of the wheels had some wiggle in them, so he showed me how to tighten them up (good thing he spent 10 yrs on a farm - oh wait, he still works there too - I wouldn't have known that otherwise), and now we're all good...'til next spring.  He even keeps a spread sheet of when each motorized item got its last oil change...OCD anyone?

While I don't discount the effectiveness of a yearly greasing, I'm not entirely sure that a grease zerk located at the outside of the wheel would effectively grease the inside bearing of each wheel. 

I also don't have zerked dust caps, so a bearing re-grease involves removing the crown nut and repacking each bearing assembly by hand.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14993 on: July 28, 2021, 09:47:06 am »
^good looking car... but it's still a Ford at the end of the day  :stick:  :rofl:

Quick look on Autotrader & around here that's about a $6k car with that mileage.

Well that's a regular Fusion...mine's a Sport - for which I found 4 on Auto Trader, one with half as many km for around $12-13k, one with 180k for around $7000 IIRC (minutes ago...and it's gone - my memory that is).  Another one, same as mine with 120k for $9999...exactly the same.  Yeah...keep it 'til it dies.  :'( My nephew wants it...my kid said "$2500!!"  Ashhole.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14994 on: July 28, 2021, 09:49:53 am »

While I don't discount the effectiveness of a yearly greasing, I'm not entirely sure that a grease zerk located at the outside of the wheel would effectively grease the inside bearing of each wheel. 

I also don't have zerked dust caps, so a bearing re-grease involves removing the crown nut and repacking each bearing assembly by hand.

I think being mine's a bigger trailer, it has those easy lube axles where all you do is take off the wheel, attach the grease gun, and squeeze it 'til it's all new shiny red lube coming out.  Old stuff is gone, new replaces it.  I would guess a tent trailer wouldn't have those, so yeah, more work on your part.  If I had to do it that way, I'm sure I'd drop half the bearings in the dirt and not be able to find them again. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14995 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:18 pm »

Well that's a regular Fusion...mine's a Sport - for which I found 4 on Auto Trader, one with half as many km for around $12-13k, one with 180k for around $7000 IIRC (minutes ago...and it's gone - my memory that is).  Another one, same as mine with 120k for $9999...exactly the same.  Yeah...keep it 'til it dies.  :'( My nephew wants it...my kid said "$2500!!"  Ashhole.

here's what you are up against... https://www.downtownchrysler.ca/en/inventory/used/vehicle/2011/ford/fusion/leather-sunroof/8632615 from a dealer for 3745

agree to keep it till it dies.

so got the tires on mine. looks proper now. went with 35" General Grabbers. i'll get a pic up at some point.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14996 on: July 28, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »

here's what you are up against... https://www.downtownchrysler.ca/en/inventory/used/vehicle/2011/ford/fusion/leather-sunroof/8632615 from a dealer for 3745

AND that one has lower miles. 

Gotta face the music, as much as you love your Fusion, you're encountering one of the downsides of owning a Ford long term - resale.  Those things are going for less money than a 15 year old base model Civic. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14997 on: July 28, 2021, 04:23:17 pm »

Gotta face the music, as much as you love your Fusion, you're encountering one of the downsides of owning a Ford long term - resale.  Those things are going for less money than a 15 year old base model Civic.

Give it to Chaos he'll get you $15K for it!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14998 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:01 pm »

Give it to Chaos he'll get you $15K for it!

Sell the Sonic, it's probably an easier sell anyway, demote the Fusion to Sonic replacement and get yourself something fun. Problem solved.

For the record, I like your specific Fusion (color/spec) but unlike those old base model Civics, there's nobody out in the market seeking out a 10 year old Fusion Sport. Buyers in that range are looking for a 'cheap sedan' and are not going to pay much of a premium for a fancy 'sport' model or whatever.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14999 on: July 28, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
Sell the Sonic, it's probably an easier sell anyway, demote the Fusion to Sonic replacement and get yourself something fun. Problem solved.

For the record, there's nobody out in the market seeking out a 10 year old Fusion Sport. Buyers in that range are looking for a 'cheap sedan' and are not going to pay much of a premium for a fancy 'sport' model or whatever.

I know...blows either way.  It's what you get for picking the "sporty" version of a domestic.  Hard pill to swallow...but I'd be the idiot who buys the last gen Fusion Sport too because, well, TURBOS!  And it'd probably be cheaper to own and operate and way more reliable than a(n) FGC...but I'd still be stuck with a car that despite taking care of it...would be worth less than a 15 yr old Cadenza.  :-[ :-X :-\ :'(

No pics - can't prove it's a Sport.  If it is though...shi# for that money I should buy it.  Less than my t-case and driveshaft combined.  ::) Parts car!  ;D  Or off road beater abuse car.
What could be so wrong with it that it's so cheap?  Should tell my brother...though he can't leave the province, so there is that.  :-\ :rofl: