Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007511 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14960 on: July 17, 2021, 09:27:40 am »
Some people go the other way

meh, it's done obviously for style, so while i totally don't like it, to each their own in that regard.

LOL. That Jeep is pointless AND ruined.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14961 on: July 17, 2021, 09:48:02 am »
I seriously hope that is a photoshop joke, and not further evidence of the impending doom of the human species.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14962 on: July 17, 2021, 10:03:03 am »
I seriously hope that is a photoshop joke, and not further evidence of the impending doom of the human species.

Seeing how the tires are too clean and the wording on them matches from front to back, most likely a 'shop. But it doesn't mean someone somewhere wouldn't have their Jeep scraping asphalt as we speak  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14963 on: July 17, 2021, 10:10:44 am »
Washed the Fusion for the first time since last year...damn it's still a sharp looking car...
Dirty girl (not sure how to make an image from Imgur videos...)

Soaked it in dish-soapy water...

rinsed...washed again with rags and soap...washed again with some purple power mixed in with the water and dish soap...rinsed and dried...trying to remove all waxes etc...

Exhaust clip...sitting for so long is soo good for a car...I should sell it...but then what...

Then took out my new DA polisher, did a few spots to remove some overspray and see if it made a difference, which is near impossible to tell on white paint...and then ceramic coated it and now it sits in the garage.  Finally.

Also washed the Sonic...mmmm...Sonic...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14964 on: July 17, 2021, 11:06:01 am »
Washed the Fusion for the first time since last year...damn it's still a sharp looking car...

Also washed the Sonic...mmmm...Sonic...

The Fusion and Sonic are both good looking cars.  That's a lot of work.  You're going to need a vacation from your vacation.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14965 on: July 17, 2021, 03:11:23 pm »
I started the Fusion at 7:30 in the AM...went to the pool for an hour or so in the afternoon...an finished it around supper time.  The Sonic...less than 30 minutes start to finish.  Gotta love the who cares car.  Not so much that I start at the wheels first...but soft brush at the end of the garden hose?  Fack it!  It's a Sonic.  Funny thing is how tough that paint is.  No swirl marks (I'm over 50 - my eyes are shi#)...fack you, it says, right back.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14966 on: July 17, 2021, 08:59:22 pm »
That Fusion is unusually good looking; the pearl white, those wheels, the skirt kit, it all works very well.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14967 on: July 17, 2021, 09:30:08 pm »
Went to update the S&S thread for the 96 Firebird and realized there isn't one....So I guess I'll put this here for now.

Since Firm Jr came into the picture Mrs.Firm really hasn't been driving her Firebird much at all, it spent the better part of the last two years up on the lift, so I brought it down a couple months back and have basically been using it as my driver for the last two months or so. Wanted to burn off the old gas in it and make sure it hadn't developed any issues from too much sitting around. Fortunately, it's been fine...No BS, just a fun pleasant car to live with. I commuted in this car right up until getting the DTS 3 years ago, and only stopped using it because our climate is so harsh on cars and I didn't want to ruin Mrs.Firm's first car.

Anyway, the one annoyance it did develop this season was a rattle in the factory muffler, I guess a baffle or something broke lose and would rattle around at a certain RPM. Given this was is a just the V6 (3.8L) Firebird, the factory muffler is single outlet with a tailpipe tucked up behind the bumper. I didn't want that, and I didn't want anything aftermarket that was going to make it sound obnoxious (or like someone tried to pimp out a V6). So the Firebird Formulas, which were the V8 version of the same car/body, had a dual outlet setup with really nice tasteful looking quad tips. It would be a direct fit upgrade, and would fit the bumper perfectly. So I set out to find one.....

Not many good condition factory exhaust setups hanging around for 25 year old firebirds, but I put a wanted post out on the local F-body group, a good friend of mine saw it, happened to have a mint condition assembly, and even dropped it off at my place!

I cleaned and painted the new assembly and finally today the rain stopped for long enough for me to get it installed. Simple job given that it's a direct swap....but getting the old unit out without breaking or cutting anything was a crappy messy job. Anyway, it all worked out pretty sweet and I am very happy with the final product. On the factory V6 muffler the car was very quiet, now it's got slightly more 'burble' but doesn't sound 'not-stock'....Sounds a lot like a 97-03 Grand Prix GT (with factory duals). 

Love the OEM+ type upgrades, and while I am not the type to upgrade/modify something just for the sake of it, I do like the opportunity to upgrade stuff when the OE parts need replacement anyway. The f-body platform is perfect for it because 82-02 were basically the same platform, so tons of different variants to pick and choose from, and everything interchanges pretty well. The now has a 94-96 Formula muffler setup, 01/02 WS6 Trans Am sway bars and shocks and 98/99 Z28 wheels.

The factory setup....Terrible shot, but you can just barely see the tailpipe on the left side.

The new setup:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #14968 on: July 17, 2021, 09:33:33 pm »
Looks amazing - it's always good to have friends who share and support (enable? ;D) one's hobbies!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14969 on: July 17, 2021, 11:02:20 pm »
Looks amazing - it's always good to have friends who share and support (enable? ;D) one's hobbies!

I'll second that on both counts.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14970 on: July 18, 2021, 12:35:37 am »
I washed it. 

Offline redmont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 civic, '16 f150
« Reply #14971 on: July 19, 2021, 04:47:28 am »
I just replaced the plugs and gave the engine bay a quick wash.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: July 19, 2021, 06:30:51 pm »
Washed up the MSM. Maybe tomorrow I'll put some of that Fast Finish on it.

I always seem to park it upside down. :-[ sorry
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:33:07 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14973 on: July 19, 2021, 06:56:48 pm »
I washed it. 

Proper looking sedan.   :thumbup:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14974 on: July 20, 2021, 11:59:14 am »
I washed it. 

Proper looking sedan.   :thumbup:

I'd like to find out who the chief designer was, so I can send them a thank you email.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: July 20, 2021, 02:41:01 pm »
I had to race to town over lunch to get a battery for the Sonic.  138k km & 8.5 yrs on the original...not bad.  $201 + tax...not an AGM far as I can tell, but so what, factory one lasted longer than the last AGM I bought (for the Fusion).

Turns upside right when you click the picture...I thought maybe you were just draining the water.
I wish my wife didn't have such a disdain for these things...coulda bought a nice red MSM last year for around 11sies.  I'm pretty sure it was even her cousin since they have a few and it was a Gord and he was from Steinbach...what are the chances?  Such a great looking little car.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14976 on: July 20, 2021, 02:45:56 pm »
$201?  Yikes. 

MB Battery on Logan is a wholesale place that also sells to the public.  Battery for the Civic cost something like $84 there. 

And you don't need AGM for a car.  That's a waste of money.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: July 20, 2021, 03:41:47 pm »
I had to race to town over lunch to get a battery for the Sonic.  138k km & 8.5 yrs on the original...not bad.  $201 + tax...not an AGM far as I can tell, but so what, factory one lasted longer than the last AGM I bought (for the Fusion).

Turns upside right when you click the picture...I thought maybe you were just draining the water.
I wish my wife didn't have such a disdain for these things...coulda bought a nice red MSM last year for around 11sies.  I'm pretty sure it was even her cousin since they have a few and it was a Gord and he was from Steinbach...what are the chances?  Such a great looking little car.

If you had of bought last year you might be up some this year if it was low mileage.

I did wash it with the top down. ;D

I think I got the picture thing sorted. It's all how you hold it. Damn I phones.
True it does turn upside right but looks stupid when posted.

Maybe I'll post a picture after the Fast Finish. That stuff was Rrocket approved.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:43:31 pm by Seafoam »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: July 21, 2021, 12:58:05 am »
$201?  Yikes. 

MB Battery on Logan is a wholesale place that also sells to the public.  Battery for the Civic cost something like $84 there. 

Costco was $235 (AGM) and my buddy at one of those auto supply places was $265 (AGM)...unfortunate thing about living here is that there's nothing in town, and nothing within an hour away that would be cheaper (granted I didn't call all sorts of places either - my time is worth something, and it needed it today). The GM dealer had one - their GM "Gold" - and it's a 25 minutes drive in, change it on the lot, 25 minutes home and back before lunch is over.  Barely.  Cdn Tire doesn't have anything - at least according to their website.

I could shop Wpg too, but then it's 20-40 bucks for gas ($40 - would take the truck), if it's over lunch, another $20-$50 depending where and how many go...Costco run, another $4-500...it's cheaper local in the end  ;D ;D :P :-\

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: July 21, 2021, 12:59:22 pm »
$201?  Yikes. 

Depends on the application. Cars with batteries that are mounted in trunks need proper ventilation. A regular  lead acid battery needs to be ventilated.