Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007647 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14920 on: July 13, 2021, 02:41:24 pm »
yeah, and like others mentioned, you might not get all the money spent on those mods if you don't let them know and have an issue. not necessarily about being able to still be insurable, just whether you have all the upgrades covered.

personally, i don't think me lifting my jeep and putting on bigger tires will increase it's value. maybe a grand more for "real" value, but i know it also decreases the market for the car. so i wouldn't expect more if i made an insurance claim.... makes me think it isn't that big a deal to let them know.
Yeah I'd say it's less about having the extra parts/upgrades covered and more having the vehicle covered as a whole.  Who cares if they don't reimburse you for the exhaust or lift kit, but get the appropriate amount for the vehicle at least.

If you have  "regular" auto insurance in Ontario will definitely not get the cost of any mods back.  If you modify your car in a way your insurance provider doesn't like, they will either drop your car from coverage if you tell them, or deny coverage if you have a claim and they look at the car.  Plus, they seem to mostly make up their own rules.
In most cases the "mods" have to be factory or dealer upgrades of some sort.
The other thing, local OPP have been stopping modified vehicles and taking them off the road along with large fines if any of the mods are deemed un-streetworty or not emissions compliant.  YMMV

I do have a modified car, my agent knows and makes sure I'm covered.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14921 on: July 13, 2021, 06:22:38 pm »
yeah, and like others mentioned, you might not get all the money spent on those mods if you don't let them know and have an issue. not necessarily about being able to still be insurable, just whether you have all the upgrades covered.

personally, i don't think me lifting my jeep and putting on bigger tires will increase it's value. maybe a grand more for "real" value, but i know it also decreases the market for the car. so i wouldn't expect more if i made an insurance claim.... makes me think it isn't that big a deal to let them know.

That 100% depends on the lift and tires. You get some chineseum lift off of wish.com and put on a pair of ill fitting Nitto mud grapplers, well, thats a couple of grand off. Now, you put on an AEV, Claytons, BDS or Teraflex lift kit and a proper set of wheels and tires, hell yeah, thats worth actual value.

Man do i see some horrible Jeeps. just had one body lift come in likely 4" up... exhaust was sitting so far down from the body it looked comical.

mine is full fox stuff, so it's alright. nothing over the top though but definitely not wish or even the procomp/rough country type stuff.. thinking tires i'll just go general grabbers... not certain on that though. need a decent daily driver so i don't start hating being on the road!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14922 on: July 13, 2021, 08:12:34 pm »

That 100% depends on the lift and tires. You get some chineseum lift off of wish.com and put on a pair of ill fitting Nitto mud grapplers, well, thats a couple of grand off. Now, you put on an AEV, Claytons, BDS or Teraflex lift kit and a proper set of wheels and tires, hell yeah, thats worth actual value.

Man do i see some horrible Jeeps. just had one body lift come in likely 4" up... exhaust was sitting so far down from the body it looked comical.

mine is full fox stuff, so it's alright. nothing over the top though but definitely not wish or even the procomp/rough country type stuff.. thinking tires i'll just go general grabbers... not certain on that though. need a decent daily driver so i don't start hating being on the road!

Can you get "factory" lift kits for either Jeep or Chrysler?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14923 on: July 13, 2021, 09:15:40 pm »

Yeah I'd say it's less about having the extra parts/upgrades covered and more having the vehicle covered as a whole.  Who cares if they don't reimburse you for the exhaust or lift kit, but get the appropriate amount for the vehicle at least.

If you have  "regular" auto insurance in Ontario will definitely not get the cost of any mods back.  If you modify your car in a way your insurance provider doesn't like, they will either drop your car from coverage if you tell them, or deny coverage if you have a claim and they look at the car.  Plus, they seem to mostly make up their own rules.
In most cases the "mods" have to be factory or dealer upgrades of some sort.
The other thing, local OPP have been stopping modified vehicles and taking them off the road along with large fines if any of the mods are deemed un-streetworty or not emissions compliant.  YMMV

I do have a modified car, my agent knows and makes sure I'm covered.

Visible mods such as lift kits are essentially not insurable for loss.  You can get "legal", but one isn't actually covered.  For most, they don't care, don't have any assets, and aren't likely going to be in an altercation anyways.   Don't even think wheel spacers would pass the greedy eye of an insurance adjuster. It's sad, but true.  Zero leeway these days.  :P     

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14924 on: July 14, 2021, 10:42:17 am »

Can you get "factory" lift kits for either Jeep or Chrysler?

yeah, the fox ones are in the mopar catalogue. they are considered "Jeep Performance Parts" the one i got still allows full factory warranty coverage and enabled extended warranties and all that, so it should be good.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14925 on: July 14, 2021, 11:33:24 am »

I was thinking of throwing some 33" Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on the ol' JK. Think they will be aggressive enough for anything I'll put it through but quiet enough on the highway.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14926 on: July 15, 2021, 02:00:40 pm »

I was thinking of throwing some 33" Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on the ol' JK. Think they will be aggressive enough for anything I'll put it through but quiet enough on the highway.

Are the Discoverers notably  more affordable than KO2s, Duratracs or Wildpeaks?  I've always been so impressed with what great all-round A/T tires those three are. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14927 on: July 15, 2021, 02:01:50 pm »

Youv'e done those Fox on your new Rubi? 

PS... somewhat related:  I love the Recon package shown at Chicago this week.  1.5" lift and 35's on a Rubi. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14928 on: July 15, 2021, 02:25:07 pm »

PS... somewhat related:  I love the Recon package shown at Chicago this week.  1.5" lift and 35's on a Rubi.

I love it when you talk redneck!  :-* :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: July 15, 2021, 07:22:11 pm »
I drove my Volt to the office because, electric blackout at home this morning and HQ apps estimated power to be back around 4:00pm. So, can't WFH today but guess what, i did not miss at all this 1hr go & 1 hr back traffic to/from work. :shuffle:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:30:38 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: July 15, 2021, 07:48:54 pm »

Pretty sure they lied and put on something way bigger.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14931 on: July 15, 2021, 08:15:31 pm »
lmao, yeah, that's not a 1.5" lift.  ;D

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: July 15, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Air cabin filtrer recommendation other than oem ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: July 15, 2021, 09:00:44 pm »

I've used POTAUTO Activated Carbon ones from Amazon many times.  They are my preferred.

When that's not available, I've used the FUN-DRIVING brand.

But for many years (when cabin filters could almost only be had by the OEM manufacturer), I just made my own with furnace filters.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:05:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: July 15, 2021, 09:20:24 pm »
Thanks for hints, let start online shopping ..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: July 15, 2021, 09:42:26 pm »

Which car?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14936 on: July 15, 2021, 10:15:14 pm »
I prefer Denso because they fit well and the manufacturer lists their dimensions, so you'll know if it fits before placing an order.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: July 15, 2021, 10:19:09 pm »

Which car?

2014 & 2015 Volt  ;)
POTAUTO MAP 1021C was b/o, so I picked the standard one
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:21:59 pm by me_2 »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14938 on: July 16, 2021, 12:05:44 am »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #14939 on: July 16, 2021, 12:25:58 am »

Fram
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...