Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008546 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14740 on: May 30, 2021, 08:36:14 am »
Same here! Snow foam cannon woot!

Which one did you use? Seemed to do a great job, or did that hi gloss look take a bit more work? Truck just glows

I use the Autoglym stuff in the snow foam attachment. Then a wipe down with a Meguiars sealant afterwards. Even I was surprised at the result!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14741 on: May 30, 2021, 09:00:11 am »
Put gas in the car for the first time in more than six months.  $1.31 a litre???  When did that happen???

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14742 on: May 30, 2021, 11:15:37 am »
Put gas in the car for the first time in more than six months.  $1.31 a litre???  When did that happen???

Right after I bought a motorhome with a 7.4 liter engine. :P
Mr Pickypants

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14743 on: May 31, 2021, 09:14:56 am »
Just curious if anyone's used touch up paint from NAPA.  I guess they can mix up small bottles if you have the paint code for your vehicle.  Would save me a few bucks and I don't want to apply it with the pen tool that you get with the dealership paint anyway.  Yay nor nay?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14744 on: May 31, 2021, 09:24:49 am »
Washed the truck (yesterday).  Nice and calm outside, not too hot, in the shade, perfect...did it on the lawn so as to put the water to good use rather than on the driveway.
Almost done doing the soapy part...Gustaf, the God of Wind decides, yup, now's a great time to blow oak pollen ALL over your ride! Hahahahahahaha!!!  Is there a tornado nearby!? WTF?
Facking Gustaf.
Rinse off, again...
Get fresh pail of water and clay bar and put Dawn in water for slippery - a little tip: that was a facking mistake.  :P About 3/4 of the way to finishing that part, the clay bar is starting to disintegrate...I guess Dawn really is great for dissolving all sorts of shi#.  Passenger side of truck looks like I rubbed it with Olive oil or maybe margarine.  Looks like next wash will be with Dawn, again.
Anyway...claying...birds.  Swoop.  Poop.  Facking birds!  Rinse...
Gustaf - Hahahah FU!! And facking oak pollen again (for those not familiar with oak pollen, or what it comes along with, think of a centipede in about size, covered in little...screw that, here's a picture: car wash PITA.)
ARGH! and GRRRRRRRRRRR!  Rinse, and rush to dry it off before Gustaf lets another one rip.
Finally get it all done, wind died down...all dried off...looking sharp...oh FFS! Another bird... >:( :banghead: Clean that off...move to garage. 
No time for ceramic coating (says it needs to sit for 2-3 days?? Sheesh...we aint got 2-3 days to let it sit)...and I'm tired and I need to rewash to get the streaks off anyway. 
Next time.
At least it looks good from afar.

Also washed & waxed the kids Mustang.  I must be a glutten for punishment...it just looks so nice when it's clean and he was working so...surprise!!  ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14745 on: May 31, 2021, 09:28:32 am »
Also...can anyone recommend a good DA polisher? I want to try my hand at that.  And then also, what products do you use?  I've got some old Turtle Was polishing compound, but it's so old it probably pre-dates a few of you guys.  ;D  There's probably better stuff out there by now.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14746 on: May 31, 2021, 09:37:13 am »
Washed the truck (yesterday).  Nice and calm outside, not too hot, in the shade, perfect...did it on the lawn so as to put the water to good use rather than on the driveway.
Almost done doing the soapy part...Gustaf, the God of Wind decides, yup, now's a great time to blow oak pollen ALL over your ride! Hahahahahahaha!!!  Is there a tornado nearby!? WTF?
Facking Gustaf.
Rinse off, again...
Get fresh pail of water and clay bar and put Dawn in water for slippery - a little tip: that was a facking mistake.  :P About 3/4 of the way to finishing that part, the clay bar is starting to disintegrate...I guess Dawn really is great for dissolving all sorts of shi#.  Passenger side of truck looks like I rubbed it with Olive oil or maybe margarine.  Looks like next wash will be with Dawn, again.
Anyway...claying...birds.  Swoop.  Poop.  Facking birds!  Rinse...
Gustaf - Hahahah FU!! And facking oak pollen again (for those not familiar with oak pollen, or what it comes along with, think of a centipede in about size, covered in little...screw that, here's a picture: car wash PITA.)
ARGH! and GRRRRRRRRRRR!  Rinse, and rush to dry it off before Gustaf lets another one rip.
Finally get it all done, wind died down...all dried off...looking sharp...oh FFS! Another bird... >:( :banghead: Clean that off...move to garage. 
No time for ceramic coating (says it needs to sit for 2-3 days?? Sheesh...we aint got 2-3 days to let it sit)...and I'm tired and I need to rewash to get the streaks off anyway. 
Next time.
At least it looks good from afar.

Also washed & waxed the kids Mustang.  I must be a glutten for punishment...it just looks so nice when it's clean and he was working so...surprise!!  ;D

You know, when I was young and still living at my Dad's house, I was the one who'd wash and wax my DAD's truck.  Not the other way round.  It was kind of a way of saying 'thanks for putting up with my :censor:'. 

You're doing it all backwards, BW!!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: May 31, 2021, 01:16:47 pm »
Yeah, that may be.  But...I've never washed my dad's car and I've never let anyone else wash mine.  Took me a long time to even let my wife help me with the drying portion (but I don't ask for anyone's help so not like she does any anyway).  Just go away...and leave me alone.  I got it.  Not sure why I washed his car other than I can't stand looking at it when it's dirty.  Black cars look best when shiny...

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14748 on: May 31, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »
Also...can anyone recommend a good DA polisher? I want to try my hand at that.  And then also, what products do you use?  I've got some old Turtle Was polishing compound, but it's so old it probably pre-dates a few of you guys.  ;D  There's probably better stuff out there by now.

The detailing aristocracy in here will probably disown me, but as a CTC man I've been getting by with what I can get a great deal on....I was using an old Simoniz 8" unit for many years, it was difficult to control and I found the 8" pad too big for most cars. I recently bought this little Simoniz Platinum 6" unit and love it....easy to handle, variable speed, nice small pad for maneuverability, no complaints.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simoniz-platinum-dual-action-corded-polisher-6-in-0396534p.html#srp

I don't recall exactly what I paid for it...but it was probably around $100 on sale (+ my employee discount on that).

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14749 on: May 31, 2021, 03:02:04 pm »

The detailing aristocracy in here will probably disown me, but as a CTC man I've been getting by with what I can get a great deal on....I was using an old Simoniz 8" unit for many years, it was difficult to control and I found the 8" pad too big for most cars. I recently bought this little Simoniz Platinum 6" unit and love it....easy to handle, variable speed, nice small pad for maneuverability, no complaints.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simoniz-platinum-dual-action-corded-polisher-6-in-0396534p.html#srp

I don't recall exactly what I paid for it...but it was probably around $100 on sale (+ my employee discount on that).

Judging by the results you got on your Corvette, I'd say you're not doing too badly!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14750 on: May 31, 2021, 09:36:49 pm »
Ordered 2 of these last night and arriving tomorrow.  Amazon ... it's a monster.   Oddly no sales tax.  Must be Chinese made.

https://www.amazon.ca/MATCC-Removable-Chenille-Microfiber-Supplies/dp/B082F3MRVY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=MATCC+62%27%27+Car+Wash+Mop+Car+Wash+Brush&qid=1622511252&sr=8-3

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14751 on: June 03, 2021, 02:13:33 pm »
^^ Yeah you could buy an entire car for what the dealer would want. That being said I have bought other parts from the mazda dealer that were actually cheaper compared to buying  U.S. mazda dealer parts.

The tension cables I believe are the same for NA and NB as are the tops. Only real difference are  the windows as 1st  generation came with plastic zip out rear window as opposed to safety glass. My first generation has a black cloth top and glass rear window,obviously replaced by the previous owner.

Have fun.

For some reason the cables seemed to be different parts for NA vs NB, dunno

I got the cables and started prepping for installation, that's when I figured out I don't have the "Installation kit", bits of velcro, pop-rivets and bow-end caps.  I think I can improvise, might call Moss Miata and see about the end caps.  One other thing, which I'm often running into lately is trying to find certain things in Canada that are not available, probably for banned ingredients or somthing.  Anyhow, Robbins says to use 3M 08011 weatherstrip adhesive, which doesn't seem to be available in Canada, but 80119 is, so I have to find out if it's the same stuff.

Ran into the same thing for a Wurth Eurogel sealant and some Valvoline grease, can't seem to find it in Canada.

Went to the 3M Canada website and contacted the technical people by email.  They sent me a phone number to call.  The number is in the US and they don't even have listings of 80119 in their info.  He told me Canadian Tire carries 08011, but then he also told me NAPA did too, but they don't have it on their websites.
Contacted 3M by chat, was given a number in Canada and left a message.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: June 03, 2021, 03:04:37 pm »
^^ Been a while since I did mine . I think I used a fabric glue that you spray on, contact cement spray adhesive.
When I do a search on the 3M adhesive a Permatex product comes up at Canadian tire. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-weatherstrip-adhesive-yellow-80br-59-ml-0383746p.html

Maybe that would work.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: June 03, 2021, 04:56:38 pm »
Because of where I park at home to charge my car, it's getting blasted by the sun.

So I ordered a custom fit sunshade to keep interior temps down.

Looks good, thick and insulated.  Came with a decent pull string storage bag.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14754 on: June 03, 2021, 05:24:57 pm »
Because of where I park at home to charge my car, it's getting blasted by the sun.

Ordered from who?

I have a custom fit shade from WeatherTech and it's great.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: June 03, 2021, 05:34:27 pm »

Ordered from who?

I have a custom fit shade from WeatherTech and it's great.

Oh right, man.  Sorry.

Yea, I looked at the WeatherTech but the total cost was pretty expensive for a sunshade.  And they wanted $25 for the storage bag.   ::)

The one I got is American made from a company called AutoTech.  Seems to be of high quality.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0918M4WSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14756 on: June 03, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »
I use those sunshades a lot in the summer, not the custom ones, I just get the universal units from CTC, they come in a few different sizes and I've generally been pretty happy with the fit. Definitely saves the dashboards from getting fried, and makes it a lot more pleasant to get in the car and it's not a million degrees inside. Escalade is in the sun most of the day, but with dark tint all around and the sunshade up it stays surprisingly cool inside - being white in color helps too I am sure.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: June 03, 2021, 06:04:29 pm »
^^ Been a while since I did mine . I think I used a fabric glue that you spray on, contact cement spray adhesive.
When I do a search on the 3M adhesive a Permatex product comes up at Canadian tire. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-weatherstrip-adhesive-yellow-80br-59-ml-0383746p.html

Maybe that would work.

I'd probably give that a try...I even looked in the CTC system to see if I could find a few units of 80119 hanging around in a store or warehouse, but I am not getting any hits on the number at all.

I had (have) a similar issue with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive...it's by far the best stuff for headliner jobs. When I did the Vette a month or so ago I couldn't find any anywhere, CTC has it but any store within a reasonable distance was out of stock with no ETA...Amazon didn't have it, Wal-mart, Tractor Supply etc. I got lucky and my dad had half a can that was enough to do my job....But now I owe him a can.... Super annoying when the hardest part of a job is just getting the damn materials.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: June 03, 2021, 06:12:16 pm »
I use those sunshades a lot in the summer, not the custom ones, I just get the universal units from CTC, they come in a few different sizes and I've generally been pretty happy with the fit. Definitely saves the dashboards from getting fried, and makes it a lot more pleasant to get in the car and it's not a million degrees inside. Escalade is in the sun most of the day, but with dark tint all around and the sunshade up it stays surprisingly cool inside - being white in color helps too I am sure.

I looked at off the shelf, but the windshield shape in the Prius would have been a shabby fit.

Also...this is really thick.  There is foam sandwiched on the inside.   And the black exterior finish on the side facing the interior is soft to the touch.   Apparently, you flip it in the winter and the black side faces out towards the sun.  Nice seam all around the edge, too.

Will it block better than an off the shelf one?  Beats me...but probably in this situation due to the perfect fit.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: June 03, 2021, 06:33:56 pm »

Maybe that would work.

I'd probably give that a try...I even looked in the CTC system to see if I could find a few units of 80119 hanging around in a store or warehouse, but I am not getting any hits on the number at all.

I had (have) a similar issue with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive...it's by far the best stuff for headliner jobs. When I did the Vette a month or so ago I couldn't find any anywhere, CTC has it but any store within a reasonable distance was out of stock with no ETA...Amazon didn't have it, Wal-mart, Tractor Supply etc. I got lucky and my dad had half a can that was enough to do my job....But now I owe him a can.... Super annoying when the hardest part of a job is just getting the damn materials.

Haha, I have two big cans of 3M Super 77 sitting here on a shelf

I sent a message to Robbins asking for advice, still haven't heard back from 3M Canada.