Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008797 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14680 on: May 19, 2021, 09:59:48 pm »
Yeah, absolutely. It does bug me that the Reatta side window/b-pillar is forward slanted - vs. the Corvette which is a very similar design but slanted back...the Corvette gives the illusion of forward motion, where the Reatta looks kinda awkward. The bubble rear window looks damn near interchangeable  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14681 on: May 20, 2021, 08:06:16 am »
Yeah, absolutely. It does bug me that the Reatta side window/b-pillar is forward slanted - vs. the Corvette which is a very similar design but slanted back...the Corvette gives the illusion of forward motion, where the Reatta looks kinda awkward.

To every problem there is a solution :

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14682 on: May 21, 2021, 01:56:20 pm »
Finally swapped the tires on my Civic a few days ago. I was waiting for new hubcentric rings and they finally came in the mail this week. Noticed at that time that the LF outer CV boot was completely torn.

This was already the 3rd replacement axle on that side. The first one was clicking right out of the box, replaced under warranty. The 2nd one had a cv boot clamp break two years in and ~22k km, spewing the grease all over and was again replaced under warranty. The latest one lasted less than 2 years and under 20k km before the boot ripped, again creating a big mess. I'm done with cardone new cv axles. Clearly these are subpar quality and even though they have a lifetime warranty I'd rather not have to replace it every 2 years. The big mess of grease is a big pita nevermind the work to replace the axle. Replaced the axle today with a new part from Napa. Hopefully this one is better.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14683 on: May 21, 2021, 02:18:22 pm »
Finally swapped the tires on my Civic a few days ago. I was waiting for new hubcentric rings and they finally came in the mail this week. Noticed at that time that the LF outer CV boot was completely torn.

This was already the 3rd replacement axle on that side. The first one was clicking right out of the box, replaced under warranty. The 2nd one had a cv boot clamp break two years in and ~22k km, spewing the grease all over and was again replaced under warranty. The latest one lasted less than 2 years and under 20k km before the boot ripped, again creating a big mess. I'm done with cardone new cv axles. Clearly these are subpar quality and even though they have a lifetime warranty I'd rather not have to replace it every 2 years. The big mess of grease is a big pita nevermind the work to replace the axle. Replaced the axle today with a new part from Napa. Hopefully this one is better.

It's all that torque from the K20 that's shredding your CV's...  :rofl2:

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: May 21, 2021, 02:28:51 pm »
Haha, tor.....que.... Whats that??  :laugh:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14685 on: May 21, 2021, 02:32:25 pm »

You know, when the V-TAHHHHHKKKKKK kicks in and the car moves with authority for about 1000rpm and then you have to shift....that!!  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: May 21, 2021, 02:35:11 pm »

You know, when the V-TAHHHHHKKKKKK kicks in and the car moves with authority for about 1000rpm and then you have to shift....that!!  ;D

AHEM - 2600rpm - those Honda engines rev all the way up to 8100rpm, ya know.  Maybe you're just used to those low revving Ford/GM engines.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: May 21, 2021, 02:37:23 pm »
Ah yes...those Honda engines where the starter motor makes more torque than the engine!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: May 21, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »
Ah yes...those Honda engines where the starter motor makes more torque than the engine!

And yet still have more character than a cup of TB's coffee!

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: May 21, 2021, 03:59:54 pm »
The axle nut should be torqued to almost the same amount of torque the engine makes! Lol

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14690 on: May 22, 2021, 12:22:55 pm »
Changed the oil on the duramax diesel on Monday. I don’t use it much, only around 2200 km all last year and I changed the oil last May. After driving daily all week I rechecked the oil today, not bad for a diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14691 on: May 22, 2021, 12:38:03 pm »
Changed the oil on the duramax diesel on Monday. I don’t use it much, only around 2200 km all last year and I changed the oil last May. After driving daily all week I rechecked the oil today, not bad for a diesel!

I have no idea about what type of oils go into diesels.  Are there a bunch of different grades and weights?  Is there traditional and synthetic?  How long of intervals usually between changes?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14692 on: May 22, 2021, 12:56:56 pm »

I have no idea about what type of oils go into diesels.  Are there a bunch of different grades and weights?  Is there traditional and synthetic?  How long of intervals usually between changes?
Good old synthetic 15w40 or 5w40, Rotella is an old standby or GM stuff is good too.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14693 on: May 22, 2021, 03:30:42 pm »

I think a lot of modern diesels are pretty picky about oil.  Has to be an oil that is formulated for diesels.  But there are plenty to choose from
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: May 22, 2021, 09:14:36 pm »

Mine gets Rotella T5 synthetic 5W40. Some guys insist that 25,000 km between oil changes is fine. Not I. When I had my power stroke Ford I changed oil every 8,000km. I’d do the same with this GMC if I drive it enough. I’ll just change it annually unless I start driving it more.

In the big truck world (semis) most go 40,000km between changes.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14695 on: May 22, 2021, 09:27:44 pm »
Took my SS 1LE to the track for a lapping day, again. Spun out once but didn't have much drama otherwise as I get to know the car better. I also found that I had a much better time in Sport 2 than Sport 1 in PTM mode(VMango will probably have an idea what I am talking about). The less intrusive nannies turned out to be helpful.

My friend helped me sketch out some lines on the track map and I just had to forget it. I love contact lenses, but they can be a pain to put in, especially when I am in a hurry.

I will also need lessons to drive my car better, just has to do some research to see if lead-follow format + radio is as effective as in-car instruction...

I think a lot of modern diesels are pretty picky about oil.  Has to be an oil that is formulated for diesels.  But there are plenty to choose from
In case of newer GM diesel, they spec their engines to use Dexos 2(not to be confused with Dexos 1 Gen 2), which can be tricky to find depending on the viscosity. Dexos 2 also is specced for 2019+ Corvettes and V8 Camaros.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: May 22, 2021, 09:30:47 pm »

Many "professional" truckers see many times that number as they often use a secondary by-pass oil filter system to drastically increase oil life.

Mobil 1 had this diesel oil called Delvac 1. Drain internal was around 100k miles. One year when I was racing in endurance racing, I endeavored to use Delvac in my race bike..and not to an oil change for the whole year. This was on an FZR400 that revved 16k RPMs.

Sure enough...went the whole season without a change..and engine looked as new when it was opened up.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:37:57 pm by rrocket »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: May 22, 2021, 09:32:13 pm »

Many "professional" truckers see many times that number as they often use a secondary by-pass oil filter system to drastically increase oil life.
True. I’ve head some guys go 100,000km or more. No way I’d go that long. I don’t care how many filters I’m running.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: May 22, 2021, 09:34:03 pm »

The biggest difference, typically, is the additive package.

ZDDP additive pack is much higher, as there's no emission system to worry about. ZDDP can be hard on emission equipment.

They also have a more robust detergent package.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: May 22, 2021, 09:36:28 pm »
Actually for the most part I use rotella T5 in my gas truck too (suburban ran it for many years). It’s a better oil and if it’s formulated for high stress turbocharged diesels it’ll work for my gas. Many Subaru owners use it too.