Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008573 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14660 on: May 13, 2021, 08:45:51 am »
front LCA and a bunch of other stuff.

More performance orientated?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14661 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:11 am »
The front LCA OEM design on the 2012 Mustang was bad. It took forever for aftermarket versions to become available. I needed new ball joints so I figured might as well do the entire LCA. The Mevotech quality looks good and is the same part for GT and GT500.

My car is a performance pack so I made sure that each part was perf pack or better. GT500 rear LCA etc. I bought front and rear new sway bar bushings, end links and more.
I'm still looking for new suspension. I almost bought an Eibach/Bilstein combo but missed out on the pricing.

Nice, looking forward to hearing your impressions after everything is installed.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14662 on: May 15, 2021, 10:04:59 pm »
Busy day with some family stuff, but got an early start to make time to squeeze in some car jobs. Phase 1 of the engine bay cleanup in the Vette (degreaser soak, scrub and hose), oil change in the Vette, and then my semi-annual paint correction/polish/wax on the DTS. It had a pretty light winter, so I only had a few abrasions to pull out of the top surfaces, then just a good polish and a wax.

I wasn't great about taking pics today, all I got was this direct side shot of the vette (which still is in desperate need of paint attention)...Really digging the lines of these early coupe C4's more and more

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14663 on: May 15, 2021, 11:15:12 pm »
Thanks Guys, she has her battle scars, but it's all part of the charm of an old family hauler like this :)
I'm not a fan of those trucks but I understand their appeal and charm.

And I really respect the way you've kept it up.

Good job, man!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14664 on: May 15, 2021, 11:18:25 pm »

I had to bounce a few times on the end of my 3 foot breaker bar, but the axle-nut came loose  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14665 on: May 15, 2021, 11:23:42 pm »
I'll be happy when the rattling and clunking stops. The rest is a bonus.
#MontrealPotholes
https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-b12-suspension-pro-kit-12-14-gt500-395-46-207371.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2012

That's how I'd roll. Or something else from their website.

Steeda really know Mustang suspension.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14666 on: May 16, 2021, 04:19:14 am »
That's the exact kit that I wanted and is OOS at Rockauto. I used to the "email when me when available" function but who knows if/when they'll get any.
It was $1000 CAD there plus shipping.
The Koni kits from Steeda are nice too

You might find this build interesting...they're getting into the suspension now with springs and shocks next.

Been a really good series so far.

https://motoiq.com/project-budget-400whp-s197-mustang-track-car-part-6-going-through-the-suspension-with-steeda/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:48:50 am by rrocket »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14667 on: May 16, 2021, 07:45:31 am »
Gave the truck a good hand washing yesterday...found a spot at the end of the box where it appears some twatwaffle opened their door against it ever so lightly, and then proceeded to have sex in their car/truck.  Maybe they were practising their turn table skills...I dunno...  :P

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14668 on: May 16, 2021, 07:55:58 pm »
Finally took the NB out for a spin around the neighbourhood this afternoon.  On Saturday I insured it and drop the top and just as I was going to take it out, it started to rain.  >:(

I think I might put the new top on ours before I take it out.   Can't go anywhere so why put it on the road? :(

Are you going to put the correct colour roof back on that car ?  The blue is so unique.

I 've done 2 of those roofs.  For me it was easier with the  top frame removed from the car.

Lots of vids of it.

Yup, got a blue roof.   I'll have to watch a video or two, doesn't look too easy.

I think you should be able to handle it. After all the wrenching you have done on your  other vehicles. ;D

Did you buy a top with the rain rail  already attached ? Makes install go easier. Most times you shouldn't reuse the old one,they become brittle.

New top in a box came with the car, I just patched the old one and never installed the new one, until now I guess.    Doubt it has a rain rail if that's separate.  Is that a dealer part?    I'll have to pull it out of the box and have a good look

If it's a Robbin's it might have the rail included. I wouldn't want to guess what Mazda would want for that part.

https://mossmiata.com/rain-rail

Well, it is a Robbin's and it does have the rain rail.   
I finally got the old one off, it's a bit of a PITA to remove.  I found one of the tension cables was broken and the other doesn't look that good, where is a good place to find them for a decent price and delivery?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14669 on: May 16, 2021, 08:25:26 pm »
^^ You have been busy. I think it will be easier to replace removed from the  car. good move  :thumbup: The first  top I replaced did not need new tension cables. The other one on a friends car I believe did but he ordered the parts. I'll find out where he ordered from.

Robbins probably sells them or  a quick look on fleabay.

Doesn't look like much Boot usage on that old top by the fade.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:27:23 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #14670 on: May 16, 2021, 11:17:52 pm »
7th and final tire swap at my garage this weekend is my car, lol. The cotter pin kept breaking on my larger shop jack so had to make do with the smaller one shown in the pic. Made things move a lot slower having to lift one corner at a time. Depending on the car's jack points, I could lift the entire front and/or back end at once with my larger jack.

Edit: oops, forgot to add the pic
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:57:02 am by JG20 »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: May 16, 2021, 11:49:36 pm »
Figured a good way to hide the wires for the bed lights.  Was installing a tailgate seal and had enough left over to cut 18 3/4 pieces of sticky seal, and came up with this foolproof plan!   ;D
Self explanatory, eh?

So from this mess (it was worse as nothing held them in place before at all)

To this  O0

Is it perfect? Nah, of course not, but it's a 100% better than it was before.

Much brighter if you run TWO wires too instead of relying on shi#ty ground at the back...thanks for nothin' Chris Fix!  >:(

I suppose I need a picture in the dark...hmmm...dog has to pee soon...

Ah-ha!  See...I do...like a full moon in your box!  :think:  Sure, why not.

Even the switch lights up...awww...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:05:55 am by BWII »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: May 17, 2021, 07:41:12 am »
^nice work!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: May 17, 2021, 08:18:04 am »
Finally took the NB out for a spin around the neighbourhood this afternoon.  On Saturday I insured it and drop the top and just as I was going to take it out, it started to rain.  >:(

I think I might put the new top on ours before I take it out.   Can't go anywhere so why put it on the road? :(

Are you going to put the correct colour roof back on that car ?  The blue is so unique.

I 've done 2 of those roofs.  For me it was easier with the  top frame removed from the car.

Lots of vids of it.

Yup, got a blue roof.   I'll have to watch a video or two, doesn't look too easy.

I think you should be able to handle it. After all the wrenching you have done on your  other vehicles. ;D

Did you buy a top with the rain rail  already attached ? Makes install go easier. Most times you shouldn't reuse the old one,they become brittle.

New top in a box came with the car, I just patched the old one and never installed the new one, until now I guess.    Doubt it has a rain rail if that's separate.  Is that a dealer part?    I'll have to pull it out of the box and have a good look

If it's a Robbin's it might have the rail included. I wouldn't want to guess what Mazda would want for that part.

I finally got the old one off, it's a bit of a PITA to remove.  I found one of the tension cables was broken and the other doesn't look that good, where is a good place to find them for a decent price and delivery?

Just heard back from my buddy. He got his tension cables from Moss.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14674 on: May 17, 2021, 10:34:24 am »

All you need now is a clear tarp, and you got yourself a hot tub!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: May 17, 2021, 01:38:33 pm »

Lots of vids of it.

Just heard back from my buddy. He got his tension cables from Moss.

Thanks.  I tried the dealer with no luck, have to buy the whole frame or top or something.   Ordered from Moss, not cheap for what they are, $66USD for both.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: May 17, 2021, 03:29:38 pm »
^^ Yeah you could buy an entire car for what the dealer would want. That being said I have bought other parts from the mazda dealer that were actually cheaper compared to buying  U.S. mazda dealer parts.

The tension cables I believe are the same for NA and NB as are the tops. Only real difference are  the windows as 1st  generation came with plastic zip out rear window as opposed to safety glass. My first generation has a black cloth top and glass rear window,obviously replaced by the previous owner.

Have fun.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: May 17, 2021, 10:15:18 pm »
^^ Yeah you could buy an entire car for what the dealer would want. That being said I have bought other parts from the mazda dealer that were actually cheaper compared to buying  U.S. mazda dealer parts.

The tension cables I believe are the same for NA and NB as are the tops. Only real difference are  the windows as 1st  generation came with plastic zip out rear window as opposed to safety glass. My first generation has a black cloth top and glass rear window,obviously replaced by the previous owner.

Have fun.

For some reason the cables seemed to be different parts for NA vs NB, dunno

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: May 18, 2021, 08:04:46 am »
^^ Weird ?  Maybe same part but different part number ? I've seen that happen. Oh well ,as long as you have the ones specific to your car you will be good to go.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14679 on: May 19, 2021, 09:07:01 pm »
Busy day with some family stuff, but got an early start to make time to squeeze in some car jobs. Phase 1 of the engine bay cleanup in the Vette (degreaser soak, scrub and hose), oil change in the Vette, and then my semi-annual paint correction/polish/wax on the DTS. It had a pretty light winter, so I only had a few abrasions to pull out of the top surfaces, then just a good polish and a wax.

I wasn't great about taking pics today, all I got was this direct side shot of the vette (which still is in desperate need of paint attention)...Really digging the lines of these early coupe C4's more and more

After seeing the Reatta in another post I can really see the dna between the two.  Especially in the B-pillar.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:11:53 pm by KD »