Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008926 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14540 on: April 29, 2021, 04:29:28 pm »
Completed spring cleaning and waxing on my 2015 Kia Forte 5.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: April 29, 2021, 04:33:22 pm »
That's (still) a good looking little hatch.   :thumbup:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14542 on: April 29, 2021, 06:59:44 pm »

I agree.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #14543 on: April 29, 2021, 07:06:05 pm »

I agree.

Yep I must say I still think it is a cool looking car. Always liked the lines. Amongst other things I like the short hood on it. I find it quite distinctive. Many designs try and incorporate long hoods (even the new Forte). I guess more people like it that way.

Love the wheels as well.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14544 on: April 29, 2021, 07:14:50 pm »
interesting conundrum i'm having...

so i replaced the front BFG tires on my merc soon after i got it, with set of pirelli P zero ASP.(all season high performance tire)
i was a fxking idiot choosing that, no foresight whatsoever, cuz it doesn't come for OE size rears.(245/35/18 such rare size!!!)

i found out thanks to Gurgie that 255 works for the rear, and pirelli makes that size! perfect, but...

i'm trying to order it and i cannot find it anywhere... OKtire, kaltire, trailtire, canadian tire, costco, not even tirerack has it...  they say ETA is end of May or could be later.

1010tire does, but they are asking $100 more per tire than normal($270 ish is normal)...  hmm.  should i cave and get it from there or just wait until someone has it in stock for month or so, and drive around my merc with bold rears.  choices choices.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14545 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:17 pm »

so i replaced the front BFG tires on my merc soon after i got it, with set of pirelli P zero ASP.(all season high performance tire)
i was a fxking idiot choosing that, no foresight whatsoever, cuz it doesn't come for OE size rears.(245/35/18 such rare size!!!)

i found out thanks to Gurgie that 255 works for the rear, and pirelli makes that size! perfect, but...

i'm trying to order it and i cannot find it anywhere... OKtire, kaltire, trailtire, canadian tire, costco, not even tirerack has it...  they say ETA is end of May or could be later.

1010tire does, but they are asking $100 more per tire than normal($270 ish is normal)...  hmm.  should i cave and get it from there or just wait until someone has it in stock for month or so, and drive around my merc with bold rears.  choices choices.
Is the tire size really hard to find in the performance tire world?  Reason I ask is there are loads of choices in that category.  I’m pretty happy with my General Tire Gmax RS on my GLI. 

Personally if it’s only a few weeks to wait I would likely just stick it out with the bald tires, unless you are planning on any long trips.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14546 on: April 29, 2021, 07:24:13 pm »

Bummer.  I was surprised on how hard it was to find winters for the Frontier. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: April 29, 2021, 07:26:43 pm »

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/pirelli-pzero-nero-all-season/9933
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14548 on: April 29, 2021, 07:38:38 pm »

Is the tire size really hard to find in the performance tire world?  Reason I ask is there are loads of choices in that category.  I’m pretty happy with my General Tire Gmax RS on my GLI. 

Personally if it’s only a few weeks to wait I would likely just stick it out with the bald tires, unless you are planning on any long trips.

oh there are loads of choices for sure, but i'm trying to stick with pirelli on the merc, just because.  ;D
for size 245/35, generally only UHP summers exists, and ones i got for the front are "all season" just so i could drive it in spring and fall without worrying about going up my driveway...i got stuck once on 2 inch compacted snow, on flat ground on my current summer rear.  no i wasn't stupidly driving around when it was snowing, long story.  :P

yeah, i would likely have to wait anyway for tire even if i find online retailer somewhere that has it anyway. 

thanks RR, but that one's "nero", ones i got for the front are not neros.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: April 29, 2021, 08:02:54 pm »

oh there are loads of choices for sure, but i'm trying to stick with pirelli on the merc, just because.  ;D
for size 245/35, generally only UHP summers exists, and ones i got for the front are "all season" just so i could drive it in spring and fall without worrying about going up my driveway...i got stuck once on 2 inch compacted snow, on flat ground on my current summer rear.  no i wasn't stupidly driving around when it was snowing, long story.  :P

yeah, i would likely have to wait anyway for tire even if i find online retailer somewhere that has it anyway. 

thanks RR, but that one's "nero", ones i got for the front are not neros.

https://pmctire.com/en/tires/pirelli/pzero-all-season-plus/pirelli-pzero-all-season-plus-255-35r18-94y-xl.tire

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14550 on: April 30, 2021, 02:11:24 pm »
My brother just picked up his brand new 2022 Odyssey EX-L RES.  Tried to trade in his 2005 EX-L Odyssey, but the dealership offered him $1000 for it.  He's keeping it for now to haul large items and tow the occasional trailer.  Insurance in NB for the van is a mere $150/yr for liability only. 

He shopped between the Pacifica, the new Sienna, and the Odyssey.  The Toyota dealer didn't have any Sienna's for him to test drive, and he was swayed over to the Odyssey by the fantastic V6 (probably with a little encouragement from me). 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14551 on: April 30, 2021, 02:42:19 pm »
My brother just picked up his brand new 2022 Odyssey EX-L RES.  Tried to trade in his 2005 EX-L Odyssey, but the dealership offered him $1000 for it.  He's keeping it for now to haul large items and tow the occasional trailer.  Insurance in NB for the van is a mere $150/yr for liability only. 

He shopped between the Pacifica, the new Sienna, and the Odyssey.  The Toyota dealer didn't have any Sienna's for him to test drive, and he was swayed over to the Odyssey by the fantastic V6 (probably with a little encouragement from me).

Great purchase!  Hopefully he didn't deal with the craptastic dealership in Moncton...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14552 on: April 30, 2021, 02:46:42 pm »
Fundy Honda in SJ.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14553 on: April 30, 2021, 03:20:23 pm »
Literally any other dealer is better than our local Honda stealership.  They've lost a lot of business over the years to Cumberland Honda across the border in Amherst, NS.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: April 30, 2021, 04:06:26 pm »
Probably cause it knows it got replaced as my driver had starter issues on the Mustang this morning. (kids diagnosed as dead battery, I charged without checking) It just spins. So starter solenoid, flywheel teeth, starter gear teeth? We'll hopefully know this weekend.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14555 on: May 01, 2021, 11:22:45 am »
Probably cause it knows it got replaced as my driver had starter issues on the Mustang this morning. (kids diagnosed as dead battery, I charged without checking) It just spins. So starter solenoid, flywheel teeth, starter gear teeth? We'll hopefully know this weekend.

Whapping it with a soft-faced hammer is always a good first step.

Try turning the engine a couple of degrees and try again.

(you know all this stuff, don't know why I'm telling you)
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14556 on: May 01, 2021, 12:48:19 pm »

Someone reading this thread may not know. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14557 on: May 01, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »

Someone reading this thread may not know.

I read it and still don't know  ???

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14558 on: May 01, 2021, 01:18:18 pm »
IIRC in those starters if something in the lever to engage the starter gear breaks it'll do what you stated.   
Easier than changing a ring gear.

Vague memories of Mustangs in my past :-\

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14559 on: May 01, 2021, 02:51:41 pm »
 Installed  a Rostra cruise control on the 90 miata. Since  there is no speed sensor to connect to ,had to install a pickup coil  and magnet on the driveshaft.  I assume this is what antique car owners do. It did end up working although I was at  first skeptical. A few years ago I installed a similar cruise unit  on the Mazdaspeed but it did have a vehicle speed sensor . Much easier process.

Wanted to do this for awhile especially for trips on the highway.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata