Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009034 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14500 on: April 18, 2021, 07:00:53 pm »
That blue is beautiful Vman. 

Got the tires swappped and took a couple pics of the new paint. Lots of metallic in the sun. If I’m ambitious I’ll get some sealant on it today. Right now it’s bare paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks great!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: April 18, 2021, 07:01:51 pm »
Went out for a drive and crossed the break in point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great buddy! Beautiful car!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #14502 on: April 18, 2021, 07:06:41 pm »
Replaced the front rotors and pads. Had to replace a caliper too and I got one in a rush from my local PartSource (in fact I decided to replace both).

It's a Centric rebuild. It fit OK, came with all hardware and it looks pretty well with some sort of coating (not sure how log will last but at this point don't look past a year or so).

Thinking to replace the rears as well and probably Centric too. Anyone here used Centric remanufactured calipers before?

Nice! Calipers is one the categories I manage for CTC/PartSource. We were with Cardone for many years and when I took over in 2019 I immediately moved the business to Centric. Reman is reman, it's never going to be perfect 100% of the time, but Centric's quality and support has been way more consistent. Some have a coating, some don't, it depends on the casting material and what the OE speced for the vehicle. Many reman calipers are bare/uncoated and they'll flash rust almost immediately, some customers don't understand that.

We also have a line of Raybestos 100% New calipers, usually about a 30-40% premium, but no casting charge, lifetime warranty, and a zinc plating that'll never corrode (I've had a set on the Escalade rear for 3 years now, no corrosion).

CT has the rears listed on the site but PartSource doesn't. Any idea why? Will call PS anyway maybe they have them after all.
I hope they look the same - same finish as the fronts.

With only the fronts done, the brake feel is very good.

Man, whomever gets this car when I finally get rid of it, will be a lucky bugger.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:14:55 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: April 18, 2021, 07:22:12 pm »
New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 on the GTI.

They got the balancing right, car drives smooth and steering is sharp again after 16" winters.

Car tracks straight but I think I'll still do an alignment for peace of mind.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14504 on: April 18, 2021, 08:50:58 pm »
Replaced the front rotors and pads. Had to replace a caliper too and I got one in a rush from my local PartSource (in fact I decided to replace both).

It's a Centric rebuild. It fit OK, came with all hardware and it looks pretty well with some sort of coating (not sure how log will last but at this point don't look past a year or so).

Thinking to replace the rears as well and probably Centric too. Anyone here used Centric remanufactured calipers before?

Nice! Calipers is one the categories I manage for CTC/PartSource. We were with Cardone for many years and when I took over in 2019 I immediately moved the business to Centric. Reman is reman, it's never going to be perfect 100% of the time, but Centric's quality and support has been way more consistent. Some have a coating, some don't, it depends on the casting material and what the OE speced for the vehicle. Many reman calipers are bare/uncoated and they'll flash rust almost immediately, some customers don't understand that.

We also have a line of Raybestos 100% New calipers, usually about a 30-40% premium, but no casting charge, lifetime warranty, and a zinc plating that'll never corrode (I've had a set on the Escalade rear for 3 years now, no corrosion).

CT has the rears listed on the site but PartSource doesn't. Any idea why? Will call PS anyway maybe they have them after all.

Man, whomever gets this car when I finally get rid of it, will be a lucky bugger.

Ugh. Partsource website is hot garbage, it's new and they're taking some time to get the bugs worked out. I just looked and I *think* the PS site is referencing old catalogue data since it's pulling in the old Cardone part numbers into the listing.....I'll flag it to IT to investigate :)

If you call PartSource they'll be able to get them for you.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14505 on: April 18, 2021, 08:58:50 pm »
Threw the summers on the Jeep finally and my dads Sequoia.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:28 pm »

Ugh. Partsource website is hot garbage, it's new and they're taking some time to get the bugs worked out. I just looked and I *think* the PS site is referencing old catalogue data since it's pulling in the old Cardone part numbers into the listing.....I'll flag it to IT to investigate :)

My good buddy is the Chief Information Security Officer over at Canadian Tire now, will break his balls a little as well :roll:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: April 20, 2021, 05:16:48 pm »
Made an appt. to get the oil lines/seals on the turbos fixed next week.  Leaking a wee bit o'oil so better now than too late. 
Figure might as well get them to do a trans flush and filter and maybe even the t-case.  Though I can probably do it and the diffs myself.
Gonna be another $1000+ bill.  Cheaper than turbos (though wouldn't that be fun to upgrade since they basically gotta take 'em off anyway  :D If only there was time and more importantly, money.  :-\)

Then I gotta figure out what I can do about the surface rust on the rockers (inside/under where you can't see) and then make an appt to get the cab corners fixed.  And if it wasn't so damn much money...I'd consider going for a newer aluminum one...would like the 7.2kw Hybrid - but stupid Ford only puts the stupid little tank on it.  Idiots.  >:(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: April 20, 2021, 05:57:18 pm »
Ordered a clutch kit and a flywheel for the A5.

Ouch...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:46 pm »

Got the rear calipers from PartSource (Centric) but at first they gave me one Centric and one Cardone. I refused the Cardone and they brought me a Centric from another store.
While I had the Cardone in my possession I had a pick inside the box - the caliper and the bracket were painted in different color and seemed like it wasn't very well cleaned up before refinishing.
Anyway, the Centric looks much nicer and all the hardware is new and included in the package.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: April 20, 2021, 06:08:16 pm »

Ouch...

Where from?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: April 20, 2021, 06:08:41 pm »

Ouch...

Where from?

RockAuto

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:47 pm »

Ouch...

Where from?

RockAuto

How do they compare with places like germanparts.ca for German cars? Do they have good selection from parts for common German OE/aftermarket suppliers?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: April 20, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »

Ouch...

Where from?

RockAuto

How do they compare with places like germanparts.ca for German cars? Do they have good selection from parts for common German OE/aftermarket suppliers?

The answer is "sometimes".  I have ordered from GermanParts.ca  They will get you OEM/Tier 1 supplier parts.  But their online selection is limited.  That being said, they can order in ANY OEM part so long as you provide the part number.  There's usually some back and forth, too.

I'll probably hit them up, for fun, to see what their price is for the pilot and throw out bearing.  But again...I put the part number in at their website, and neither came up.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #14514 on: April 20, 2021, 09:29:31 pm »
Did you check FCP Euro?
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #14515 on: April 22, 2021, 12:15:15 am »
Put on the summer tires today. 

Sad fact:  the winter tires were on for 6 months and 2 days; total distance driven combined (Malibu and Enclave), less than 3100 km  :(

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: April 25, 2021, 12:56:15 am »
After Wednesday annual oil change, brake cleaning/lubrification and sure, summer shoes back, "Ma Belle Brune" got her first official bath this Saturday.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: April 25, 2021, 05:19:52 pm »
Put the battery in it. Ran it up to temp. Drove it around the block.  Put it back where it was for another month.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #14518 on: April 26, 2021, 01:40:30 am »
Bought the wrong headlight bulbs for it...  (And yes, I replaced them a couple of times before with the correct ones...)

(Bought H7 instead of H11...   :shake: ::) :rofl2:)

I think I had a '93 850-shaped brain-fart...

This is probably the most stereotypically "gay" thing I have ever done when it comes to vehicle maintenance...  I feel like gay-bashing myself over this.  :rofl:

Potentially saves his boyfriend hundreds of US $$$ by suggesting he get a new gas cap for his 2007 Jetta to help it pass emissions testing (had the desired effect), but can't buy the right friggin' bulbs for his own car...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:02:02 am by Scaerio »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: April 27, 2021, 05:12:17 pm »
Whoohoo!  Truck "oil leak" wasn't the turbos!  Valve cover gasket and the vacuum pump or something...under $200ish for parts, way less labour than the turbo's would've been.  Also had them to a filter/trans flush and refill and transfer case fluid replacement.   ;D  Yay!! 

Next project: get the cab corners fixed up.  Just have to decide if I do it cheap (local shop or maybe fiberglass and you tube tutorials! lol) or not cheap (cut out and full replacement).

Anyone ever used phosphoric acid on rust?  Can you paint right over it or does it need to be washed off after you've dissolved all the rust (thinking of the back of the rocker panels).