Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009019 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14480 on: April 18, 2021, 12:17:45 am »
I have!

Have used their rotors before too.

Nothing to complain about either way.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #14481 on: April 18, 2021, 12:24:25 am »
I have!

Have used their rotors before too.

Nothing to complain about either way.

Thanks Ron.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14482 on: April 18, 2021, 12:38:45 am »
Rear suspension on the DTS uses a pair of lateral links to with a ball joint type end the goes into the big rear control arms....Boot on the ball joint bit was split on the right rear, and replacing the entire link is a bear of a job (requires moving the gas tank to get access to a bolt + an alignment). The boot just recently split, and the joint itself was still good, I also had a few random ball joint boots left over from another job that looked sorta the same size, so I popped the joint out of the control arm, pulled the old boot off and matched it up with one of my spares. Cleaned all the old grease out of the joint, slipped the new boot on, filled it with grease using a needle attachment on my grease gun, and put everything back together. Perfect.  $0 fix and only took about an hour and a half (including getting the wheel on/off, cleaning up, etc).

Clever! Not very often a mechanic job is easier and quicker than thought

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14483 on: April 18, 2021, 04:38:55 am »
Rear suspension on the DTS uses a pair of lateral links to with a ball joint type end the goes into the big rear control arms....Boot on the ball joint bit was split on the right rear, and replacing the entire link is a bear of a job (requires moving the gas tank to get access to a bolt + an alignment). The boot just recently split, and the joint itself was still good, I also had a few random ball joint boots left over from another job that looked sorta the same size, so I popped the joint out of the control arm, pulled the old boot off and matched it up with one of my spares. Cleaned all the old grease out of the joint, slipped the new boot on, filled it with grease using a needle attachment on my grease gun, and put everything back together. Perfect.  $0 fix and only took about an hour and a half (including getting the wheel on/off, cleaning up, etc).

:thumbup:

That's using your noodle.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14484 on: April 18, 2021, 09:23:32 am »
Good work Firm and carcrazy. 

I changed to the summers on the MDX and gave it an oil change. Didn’t realize it had been 23 months since the last one, about 11k. I just follow the maintenance minder on that one so never check dates/mileage.

Also picked up my truck yesterday from my FIL. Paint job is done and looks fantastic. I have to change out the winters on that one too. I’ll get some pics of the fresh paint when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:26:27 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14485 on: April 18, 2021, 11:27:01 am »
Arrest him!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14486 on: April 18, 2021, 12:25:01 pm »
Went out for a drive and crossed the break in point

Stopped to give praise to the horsepower gods.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: April 18, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »
That blue is beautiful Vman. 

Got the tires swappped and took a couple pics of the new paint. Lots of metallic in the sun. If I’m ambitious I’ll get some sealant on it today. Right now it’s bare paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: April 18, 2021, 02:49:26 pm »
^^He did a nice job.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: April 18, 2021, 02:50:54 pm »
Replaced the fragile center interior cover on the 90. This part is also called the tombstone. Plastic becomes very brittle after 31 years.
Ordered it from Mazda with a new heater control panel last week.
I am quite happy as the cracks were starting to annoy me. At the same time I installed a small cubby below the radio as it was only a blank cover
before. This part I actually scavenged from the old Nissan which now has a double  din radio. Surprised it fit in the mazda's space.
Here are some crappy pictures.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14490 on: April 18, 2021, 02:51:48 pm »
Here is the new one.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14491 on: April 18, 2021, 03:02:53 pm »
I remember that piece being cracked on my old Miata. Nice refreshing there!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: April 18, 2021, 03:10:27 pm »
Bought a convertible yesterday, snowing today  :rofl2:

Tires are NOT good in the slick/snow.  ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: April 18, 2021, 03:13:38 pm »
I remember that piece being cracked on my old Miata. Nice refreshing there!

It is  fragile plastic and many people will install an aftermarket radio on these. This increases the chances that it will be broken.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14494 on: April 18, 2021, 04:13:11 pm »
Replaced the front rotors and pads. Had to replace a caliper too and I got one in a rush from my local PartSource (in fact I decided to replace both).

It's a Centric rebuild. It fit OK, came with all hardware and it looks pretty well with some sort of coating (not sure how log will last but at this point don't look past a year or so).

Thinking to replace the rears as well and probably Centric too. Anyone here used Centric remanufactured calipers before?

Nice! Calipers is one the categories I manage for CTC/PartSource. We were with Cardone for many years and when I took over in 2019 I immediately moved the business to Centric. Reman is reman, it's never going to be perfect 100% of the time, but Centric's quality and support has been way more consistent. Some have a coating, some don't, it depends on the casting material and what the OE speced for the vehicle. Many reman calipers are bare/uncoated and they'll flash rust almost immediately, some customers don't understand that.

We also have a line of Raybestos 100% New calipers, usually about a 30-40% premium, but no casting charge, lifetime warranty, and a zinc plating that'll never corrode (I've had a set on the Escalade rear for 3 years now, no corrosion).

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14495 on: April 18, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »

Got the tires swappped and took a couple pics of the new paint. Lots of metallic in the sun. If I’m ambitious I’ll get some sealant on it today. Right now it’s bare paint.

That looks great, very nice job!

Can you seal it right away? I recall something about not waxing/sealing fresh paint for a couple months, but it might depend on the type of paint or something...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14496 on: April 18, 2021, 05:05:55 pm »

Looks great.  Nice to see an old Tundra looking so clean (most of them still look great, TBH).  Was it a full repaint, or just a correction?

One thing, shouldn't the 5.7 badge be below the body crease?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: April 18, 2021, 06:10:30 pm »

Can you seal it right away? I recall something about not waxing/sealing fresh paint for a couple months, but it might depend on the type of paint or something...

Good point Firm, I’ll double check with the FIL

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: April 18, 2021, 06:13:14 pm »

Looks great.  Nice to see an old Tundra looking so clean (most of them still look great, TBH).  Was it a full repaint, or just a correction?

One thing, shouldn't the 5.7 badge be below the body crease?

Good eye GBA. FIL mentioned that when I went to pick it up. Just makes mine unique, ha ha. Full repaint, including a couple sections of new metal welded in due to rust. Should have taken a pic of the box as he lined that also. Looks sweet.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14499 on: April 18, 2021, 06:14:15 pm »

Good point Firm, I’ll double check with the FIL

I've always heard 90 days.