Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009192 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14420 on: April 03, 2021, 05:02:49 pm »
Took my Camaro to the track again, but this time I pushed it a bit harder.

Excellent!

Looking pretty good for taking on 15 Canadian winters I think.

It sure does. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14421 on: April 03, 2021, 05:31:53 pm »
Took my Camaro to the track again, but this time I pushed it a bit harder.

Ended up pushing it way too hard and went over the edge(pun intended). Understeered off the track once in one session, and I got too hot wearing a jacket in the first afternoon session and started to mess up. Spun out twice in that session.

Luckily, there is no damage other than a lot of rock chips on the front driver wheel since I ran into a lot of rocks outside the track. I think I will leave them as they don't look too horrible from a distance and I might do it again in the future.
Good stuff! I went off with my 951 a couple times when I was on the track & it just makes you better later.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: April 03, 2021, 05:33:46 pm »
Roof box & winter tires removed here.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: April 03, 2021, 06:08:47 pm »
Kinda sad though.... I always lament the end of winter. Or more specifically, ski season.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: April 03, 2021, 08:05:58 pm »
As long as I can transition directly into golf season... I'm good. Was debating going up the the hill in the SLK with the roof down & the skis sticking up outta the passenger seat :rofl:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: April 03, 2021, 08:32:27 pm »
Got a set of clearance Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+'s from Crappy Tire today. The last 4 left in the city...I just have to find a shop to install now since I don't want them working on my car.

DOT code is 0520 for all 4 so pretty new.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:42:44 pm by 1FGC »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14426 on: April 03, 2021, 09:07:53 pm »
Got a set of clearance Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+'s from Crappy Tire today. The last 4 left in the city...I just have to find a shop to install now since I don't want them working on my car.

Nice, perhaps the best AS you can buy...clearance no less!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: April 03, 2021, 09:47:59 pm »

Nice, perhaps the best AS you can buy...clearance no less!

Yes, I currently have the AS3's (previous generation) on my car and they were fantastic performance tires, especially in the rain. Wear was OK, I got pretty close to the treadwear guarantee.

I've had Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear, Yokohama, Kumho, Dunlop and Continental tires on various cars. Michelin's always left me the most satisfied.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14428 on: April 03, 2021, 10:16:17 pm »
I have the AS3+ on the XKR, no complaints and they seem to be wearing very well. Impressed with how quiet they are for such a wide tire.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14429 on: April 03, 2021, 10:21:14 pm »

Yeah, AS3+ is great, but it’s been replaced by the Pilot Sport AS4 now.

But I’m guessing you knew that and went for the AS3+ because you got a great deal on them. I’d be tempted to do the same.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14430 on: April 04, 2021, 07:58:24 pm »
Washed my truck for the first time in a long time. Took it to the father in law and he’s going to do some body work and paint it. Rear fenders are getting rusty and have a couple other rust spots. Weird because I’ve never seen  another rusty Tundra of this gen.

The Mrs has been chatting with her dad for a while to paint it, I had no idea. Love that lady. Guess I’m keeping the old girl (the truck)  for a while longer. I really have no desire to replace it, especially now that it’s getting fresh paint.
Went and had a look at the progress today.  Bodywork is coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14431 on: April 04, 2021, 08:01:31 pm »
Great job with the Camaro Jim!

Nice job actually using that Camaro!  O0 Those are such great cars on the track.

Much less exciting here, I spent a good 1/2 day spring cleaning the Escalade. Wash, polish, wax, scrubbed the mats and emptied the winter gear. Polished the chrome wheels, even waxed the door jams.

Question for you. You said you get your cars oil sprayed, and I got the Tundra done recently. What do you use to get the oil off? I gave the truck a wash recently and the oil that had run off the tailgate for example was super sticky, it was actually very hard to get off. I was using a decent soap too.

What's the best way of washing it and not getting it over all the mitts/sponges?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14432 on: April 04, 2021, 08:04:49 pm »
Bridgecity, must have missed the previous posts about the truck, are you getting it painted the same color?  How many kms do you have on it now.  The paint and body work could get you through until the hybrid Tundra.comes out a couple of years from now.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: April 04, 2021, 09:11:02 pm »
Washed my truck for the first time in a long time. Took it to the father in law and he’s going to do some body work and paint it. Rear fenders are getting rusty and have a couple other rust spots. Weird because I’ve never seen  another rusty Tundra of this gen.

The Mrs has been chatting with her dad for a while to paint it, I had no idea. Love that lady. Guess I’m keeping the old girl (the truck)  for a while longer. I really have no desire to replace it, especially now that it’s getting fresh paint.
Went and had a look at the progress today.  Bodywork is coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...hows the undercarriage/frame?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:10 pm »
JM, Only 207k kms on it now. Mechanically, the truck has been very solid and still is. It’ll last a while yet.  To be honest, I’ve got no interest in a truck with a turbo.

It’s getting painted a very similar colour. FIL isn’t tearing the truck right down, so the door jambs and under the hood would be the old colour and I’d like it to match closely.

I’ve been thinking about replacing the head unit just to have something more modern with CarPlay but we’ll see.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: April 04, 2021, 09:15:56 pm »

Interesting...hows the undercarriage/frame?

It’s got a nice patina like any vehicle of this vintage.  ;D  Actually frame was coated by Toyota as I guess there some cases of frame rust. Dealer said my frame was mint. FIL also commented on how well the truck is put together and how the panels are designed.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14436 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:39 pm »
Great job with the Camaro Jim!

Nice job actually using that Camaro!  O0 Those are such great cars on the track.

Much less exciting here, I spent a good 1/2 day spring cleaning the Escalade. Wash, polish, wax, scrubbed the mats and emptied the winter gear. Polished the chrome wheels, even waxed the door jams.

Question for you. You said you get your cars oil sprayed, and I got the Tundra done recently. What do you use to get the oil off? I gave the truck a wash recently and the oil that had run off the tailgate for example was super sticky, it was actually very hard to get off. I was using a decent soap too.

What's the best way of washing it and not getting it over all the mitts/sponges?

I just wash it off like normal (handwash), but I keep two sponges in the bucket; one is greasy I use it wherever there's excess oil or grease and a clean sponge for the non-greasy areas. Once it gets too dirty I toss the greasy one, demote the clean one and replace it with a new one. Sponges are cheap....I buy the 'peanut' sponge from CT for $2.99; slice it down the middle vertically and then again horizontally to get 4 good sized sponges (the peanut sponge itself, in one piece, is way too big for car washing).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: April 04, 2021, 09:38:42 pm »
I have the AS3+ on the XKR, no complaints and they seem to be wearing very well. Impressed with how quiet they are for such a wide tire.
Yep..liked them on the Porsche
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14438 on: April 06, 2021, 09:13:37 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEAAVyL0nK4

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14439 on: April 06, 2021, 10:54:36 am »
 :rofl2: