Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009337 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14220 on: February 19, 2021, 03:11:06 pm »
Installed new battery in truck, from Costco  , $140 and less  1/2 hour to install
Only pain is taking back the core
The dealer want $250 for battery and $66 to install

Every time I've bought a new battery, I bring my tools and just change the battery in the parking lot, lol.  I bring the core in when I go to buy the new battery.  Did it on the Altima once when it was -25C.  The Civic I pulled that trick but it was springtime, so nicer weather.

You might be a redneck if   :rofl2:
https://youtu.be/JOMxWMlf8Es

Bahaha, the Altima was in a Costco parking lot, too.  So good.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14221 on: February 19, 2021, 03:13:10 pm »
Sent the seats for the Porsche off to be redone, as well as the targa top.

Head unit came in (Continental TR-7412UB), as did the shift knob and a few other doodads.

Are you just getting them restitched?  Sport seats?

With regards to hooking up the  head unit,  there should be a small amp in the passenger footwell IIRC.  Old paper cones in speakers are probably gone too if original,  I think rear are 4x6".

Nah, the car came with some horrible "NOS" brand yellow seats right out of the 90s. I found a mint set of sport seats for the correct year on Kijiji for peanuts, but they need to be dyed black (they're light grey) and touched up a bit.

The head unit is not original - there are some Blaupunkt speakers in the doors, and sub in the "frunk". The factory amp has been bypassed and there's a JL Audio one by the sub in the frunk.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14222 on: February 19, 2021, 05:50:01 pm »
washed and detailed the Jag last evening, wow it shines up nice  :drool:

now it is dirty and covered in salt again  ::)

So, time well spent, then?
absolutely, for the evening it looked so pretty and I got a layer of salt off of it

For me the detailed washes don't start until spring and the roads have been cleaned up.  For winter it's just a run through the touchless wash, or $10 at the wand wash.

This is my routine, just blow the salt off till the weather is nice. Zero point in going all out with the salt and gravel on the roads.

Yup.  But then again, neither you nor I drive Jaaaags.

That is true....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14223 on: February 19, 2021, 06:39:00 pm »
washed and detailed the Jag last evening, wow it shines up nice  :drool:

now it is dirty and covered in salt again  ::)

So, time well spent, then?
absolutely, for the evening it looked so pretty and I got a layer of salt off of it

For me the detailed washes don't start until spring and the roads have been cleaned up.  For winter it's just a run through the touchless wash, or $10 at the wand wash.

This is my routine, just blow the salt off till the weather is nice. Zero point in going all out with the salt and gravel on the roads.

Yup.  But then again, neither you nor I drive Jaaaags.

That is true....

lmao love it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14224 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:47 pm »
The A3 e-tron had dropped to half a tank on what has been a slow year for putting mileage on it - probably no more than 1,000 km. So I filled it up with fresh premium - previous fill-up was in March 2020 before the pandemic was declared. The 8.8 kWh battery does just fine on short errands!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14225 on: February 20, 2021, 11:50:52 am »
Science!

Strong winds out of the south today.  On the Perimeter, I drove into, and away from, the 37 km/h headwind at 100 km/h.

I still have the Sonata's grill completely closed.  Ambient temp: -11°C.

Headwind:
L/100km: 7.8
Coolant temp: 195°F
Engine Oil temp: 201°F

Tailwind:
L/100km: 6.5 (+16.7%)
Coolant temp: 193°F
Engine Oil temp: 201°F
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14226 on: February 22, 2021, 08:10:08 pm »
So this is an interesting one... I came home and heard a faint squealing in my garage. Sounded like a siren. Traced it to the Vantage's alarm in the garage... it's been under its cover and plugged into a trickle charger (plugged into a cig port in the trunk) since like, early November.

Tried to unlock it with the remote, no dice. I keep the trunk "half closed", and the button on the decklid to release it fully doesn't work... won't do anything.

The CTEK trickle charger indicates it's charging, but obviously she's dead.

Somehow the alarm shut itself off as I was hitting buttons on the remote aimlessly... but got in and tried to get the accessory on, no dice.

I discovered a jump point under the hood, which obviously released, so I connected the M5's trickle to that jump point and going to let it sit a bit and see if I can get the doors to unlock/etc.

Grumble.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14227 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:07 pm »
Interesting, seen this on the odd Jag in our shop. Some module might be draining the battery.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14228 on: February 22, 2021, 11:16:00 pm »
How much charge can it get thru the 12V outlet in the trunk though? Not sure that would be enough to keep it juiced up over the winter with all the electronics that still draw current while it hibernates.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: February 23, 2021, 12:07:40 am »
How much charge can it get thru the 12V outlet in the trunk though? Not sure that would be enough to keep it juiced up over the winter with all the electronics that still draw current while it hibernates.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Fair, but it’s been staying sufficiently juiced up every winter thus far. And the guys on the Aston boards say these things are notorious for parasitic drains, so the recommendation is to keep a trickle plugged in if you’re not driving the car for any more than a few days.

Update; I got a booster pack from Firm’s place down the street, connected it to the jump point under the hood. Got enough juice to unlock the trunk and pull the 12V out. Let it sit for a bit, then connected a more powerful charger under the hood and covered the car back up. Left the doors all unlocked this time around.

Still, the battery is of unknown age and may very well be original from 2007 (the car only has like 16,000 miles) so it’s worth a change out in the spring when I can get the car out, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:09:24 am by TheHire »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: February 23, 2021, 08:26:25 am »
Yeah, that battery may be pooched. Glad you got it sorted enough to make the car move when you need it.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14231 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:56 am »
A British car do what a British car does  ;)

The TR6's battery is out of the car and on a trickle charger for all of winter. The car is hibernating without any juice in it, don't think I'll mess up its electronics  :rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14232 on: February 23, 2021, 08:35:37 am »
A British car do what a British car does  ;)

The TR6's battery is out of the car and on a trickle charger for all of winter. The car is hibernating without any juice in it, don't think I'll mess up its electronics  :rofl:

That will be even better for it's electronics with no juice... less chance of that old Lucas stuff catching on fire...  :rofl:  :run:

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14233 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:52 am »
Filled up the gas tank for the first time in 2021 last night.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Bjorg

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1967 Mustang GT
« Reply #14234 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:37 am »
I bought a new set wheels and tires from some website for my car. Need to replace it today due to climate here in Texas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:00:25 pm by Brig »

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #14235 on: February 23, 2021, 04:52:38 pm »
After 7 years, my battery finally called it quits. It was holding its own until I moved in Dec and my driving habits changed. The car was sitting for days on end, and it really struggled during the -20 weather we had a few weeks ago. I hadn't driven the car since Friday, and even though it was a mild wknd, today it couldn't cope. (Cue the lilies. :'( )

I took it to the local Chev dealer, mainly to start a local history for the car. I might have saved a few bucks going to a local jobber, but I couldn't be bothered.

So now I guess I will have to keep the car for another 7 years to get my monies worth!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:14:52 pm by Davep »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14236 on: February 25, 2021, 12:44:56 pm »
I got my Camaro out of the storage. Have to say, I missed driving an NA V8 with manual pretty badly.

Won't drive it that much this week, though. I am getting a wheel repaired, then an alignment tomorrow, then I will install the intake over the weekend and get the dealer to flash the intake tune on Monday.

Will also see if I can wash my friend's car better before it goes into the storage. He decided to park it in a garage so it's worth the effort to see what I can do.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14237 on: February 25, 2021, 05:06:28 pm »
I got my Camaro out of the storage. Have to say, I missed driving an NA V8 with manual pretty badly.

Won't drive it that much this week, though. I am getting a wheel repaired, then an alignment tomorrow, then I will install the intake over the weekend and get the dealer to flash the intake tune on Monday.

Will also see if I can wash my friend's car better before it goes into the storage. He decided to park it in a garage so it's worth the effort to see what I can do.
Hot damn that is a great looking car.  I can see why you missed it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: February 25, 2021, 09:12:38 pm »
Ordered some exhaust parts for my truck at Rockauto today. Say it will arrive on Friday. The shop I go to could have repaired the truck today at a cost  of $740 but they did not have bolt on parts. They would have to fab something up. They suggested Rockauto . It will end up being 300 bucks cheaper just have to wait for the parts. Last year I had to source a muffler for it through Wrench Monkey.
Getting a bit harder to find parts for it.
One of the reasons why I am searching for something a bit newer.

Still waiting for my parts. Stuck in the Bronx. ::)  Have the exhaust held together with baling wire. ;D

Wish this was closer and no Covid. Close to what I have now and 15 years newer. https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/toyota/tacoma/?utm_content=web_ResultsSearch&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=kijiji#vip=18999608&utm_campaign=xpromo_srplisting
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14239 on: February 26, 2021, 10:58:55 am »
Ordered some exhaust parts for my truck at Rockauto today. Say it will arrive on Friday. The shop I go to could have repaired the truck today at a cost  of $740 but they did not have bolt on parts. They would have to fab something up. They suggested Rockauto . It will end up being 300 bucks cheaper just have to wait for the parts. Last year I had to source a muffler for it through Wrench Monkey.
Getting a bit harder to find parts for it.
One of the reasons why I am searching for something a bit newer.

Still waiting for my parts. Stuck in the Bronx. ::)  Have the exhaust held together with baling wire. ;D

I bought a cat-back system for mine last year, think it was Bosal, for about $230.   Got if from my local guy who runs a one-man parts business (Mike at Import Auto Supply if near Kingston). 
 I find the shipping cost of large parts like that often rule out Rockauto and I go local.
Mr Pickypants