Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009422 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14200 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:08 pm »
Was worried about the RX having no block heater and no trickle charger, but it made it through this Edmonton cold snap without issue. Got started and ran for some errand every couple days, and that seemed to keep things warm enough, at least inside an unheated garage

Still -30 with the windchill, but things look like they'll be warming up fast now

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14201 on: February 15, 2021, 02:58:02 pm »
^ya, I think that was my issue; I let it sit for 8 days with -40 nights and didn’t start it. Batteries need exercise, especially when cold.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: February 15, 2021, 06:49:40 pm »
I set my Scangauge to report engine oil temperature and I checked my oil temp at engine startup Sunday morning.

Air temp was -15F.  Our parking lot outlets are powered 24/7, which I appreciate.  Coolant temp was 50F and oil temp was 55F, opposite of what I expected.

Interesting. Can it tell oil temp and pressure while driving?

Unfortunately, I haven't found the coding for oil pressure yet.  The engine oil and transmission oil temps are available while driving.

We're you able to do this by programming an X gauge or does it automatically appear on your scan guage ? I have one too. Mostly use it for  fuel economy and coolant temperature as the civic doesn't have  a temp gauge.

The Scangauge site (www.scangauge.com) has "X-Gauge" commands, specific to automakers.  Here's the Honda page: https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/honda-acura/

If you do try to add them to your Scangauge, print the instructions and have them in the car with you.

Thanks , I'll check that out.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14203 on: February 15, 2021, 08:34:06 pm »

In other news, I purchased a little essential oil diffuser that attaches to the vent. Thought it would be nice to have some pleasant scent in my car without using anything artificial/synthetic. Will see how that works out.

I was given one of these as a bit of swag from a press event/vehicle launch. I've been trying it in the BMW. I can't even tell that it's there...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:19 pm »
Ordered some exhaust parts for my truck at Rockauto today. Say it will arrive on Friday. The shop I go to could have repaired the truck today at a cost  of $740 but they did not have bolt on parts. They would have to fab something up. They suggested Rockauto . It will end up being 300 bucks cheaper just have to wait for the parts. Last year I had to source a muffler for it through Wrench Monkey.
Getting a bit harder to find parts for it.
One of the reasons why I am searching for something a bit newer.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14205 on: February 16, 2021, 03:47:26 pm »

In other news, I purchased a little essential oil diffuser that attaches to the vent. Thought it would be nice to have some pleasant scent in my car without using anything artificial/synthetic. Will see how that works out.

I was given one of these as a bit of swag from a press event/vehicle launch. I've been trying it in the BMW. I can't even tell that it's there...

I just gave it a try today. It's pretty strong right now but I think I over-oiled it a bit. Will see how well it holds up in the long run.

It's obviously dependent on the oils you use. I am trying on that has solid reviews on Amazon. So far so good.

Snow is melting rather quickly, which is nice. Shoveled some snow out of the way and the roads are pretty clear now for me to drive. Looks like I should be able to get my Camaro out next week just as planned.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14206 on: February 19, 2021, 11:33:18 am »
Installed new battery in truck, from Costco  , $140 and less  1/2 hour to install
Only pain is taking back the core
The dealer want $250 for battery and $66 to install

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14207 on: February 19, 2021, 11:38:18 am »
Installed new battery in truck, from Costco  , $140 and less  1/2 hour to install

Every time I've bought a new battery, I bring my tools and just change the battery in the parking lot, lol.  I bring the core in when I go to buy the new battery.  Did it on the Altima once when it was -25C.  The Civic I pulled that trick but it was springtime, so nicer weather.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14208 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:42 am »

Every time I've bought a new battery, I bring my tools and just change the battery in the parking lot, lol.  I bring the core in when I go to buy the new battery.  Did it on the Altima once when it was -25C.  The Civic I pulled that trick but it was springtime, so nicer weather.

Yup, easiest way to do it. Unless the engineers decided to get cute and make it hard to access by taking crap off to get to it....like on the FIL stupid, terrible, no good, very bad Journey. Tire has to come off, take off fender liner, yet another reason I so deeply dislike that horrible thing.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14209 on: February 19, 2021, 11:54:02 am »
washed and detailed the Jag last evening, wow it shines up nice  :drool:

now it is dirty and covered in salt again  ::)
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: February 19, 2021, 12:03:09 pm »

So, time well spent, then?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14211 on: February 19, 2021, 12:12:35 pm »

I did the same last night.  Old battery was from Costco, purchased August 2014.  It had a 100 month pro rated warranty so I got back 25% of the original purchase price ($85) plus $10 for the core.  New battery was $130+ tax I believe. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: February 19, 2021, 12:17:49 pm »

absolutely, for the evening it looked so pretty and I got a layer of salt off of it

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: February 19, 2021, 12:23:53 pm »

absolutely, for the evening it looked so pretty and I got a layer of salt off of it

For me the detailed washes don't start until spring and the roads have been cleaned up.  For winter it's just a run through the touchless wash, or $10 at the wand wash. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: February 19, 2021, 12:36:41 pm »

For me the detailed washes don't start until spring and the roads have been cleaned up.  For winter it's just a run through the touchless wash, or $10 at the wand wash.
my washes are free here at the shop, or in my driveway (when it is above 0 outside). Also, cant do touchless wash with my ceramic coat, need waxless soap.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14215 on: February 19, 2021, 12:40:37 pm »

This is my routine, just blow the salt off till the weather is nice. Zero point in going all out with the salt and gravel on the roads.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: February 19, 2021, 12:44:03 pm »

This is my routine, just blow the salt off till the weather is nice. Zero point in going all out with the salt and gravel on the roads.

Yup.  But then again, neither you nor I drive Jaaaags.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14217 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:33 pm »
Sent the seats for the Porsche off to be redone, as well as the targa top.

Head unit came in (Continental TR-7412UB), as did the shift knob and a few other doodads.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14218 on: February 19, 2021, 02:09:50 pm »
Sent the seats for the Porsche off to be redone, as well as the targa top.

Head unit came in (Continental TR-7412UB), as did the shift knob and a few other doodads.

Are you just getting them restitched?  Sport seats?

With regards to hooking up the  head unit,  there should be a small amp in the passenger footwell IIRC.  Old paper cones in speakers are probably gone too if original,  I think rear are 4x6".
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14219 on: February 19, 2021, 03:02:53 pm »

You might be a redneck if   :rofl2:
https://youtu.be/JOMxWMlf8Es