Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009510 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14180 on: February 11, 2021, 08:27:11 pm »
And a change of scenery!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14181 on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:05 pm »
Took Miss Peanut for a toodle around town for 30 minutes, just to top up the battery.  I really miss driving my car to work every day.  Right now, I only drive her once a week, if that.

I usually take mine to for a grocery run to Kemptville on Sundays to get the fluids moving and charge up the battery - gets a nice combo of highway and b-road driving.

Yeah, I try to drive a longer distance to get groceries, just to avoid the short runs right now.  My local store is 2 km away, which isn’t far enough.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14182 on: February 12, 2021, 09:29:57 am »
Gave Bagheera an oil change, new belts, lubed joints and hinges, and programmed a new key for it. Should be good to go until spring.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14183 on: February 12, 2021, 09:41:34 am »
Gave Bagheera an oil change, new belts, lubed joints and hinges, and programmed a new key for it. Should be good to go until spring.

Maintenance of that car should consist only of regularly sprinkling this around the interior:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: February 12, 2021, 09:57:14 am »

Maintenance of that car should consist only of regularly sprinkling this around the interior:

lmao, I do have Jaguar cologne  :rofl2:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14185 on: February 12, 2021, 10:13:21 am »
^ Holy :censor: you're all in then.   :rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:23 am »
^ Holy :censor: you're all in then.   :rofl2:
I am lol.

Update: The key my stupid parts department ordered for me was for a Euro frequency. Idiots. New key on BO will get in god knows when. Also, during verification of the key blade, the technician broke the door lock cap on my driver's door. Now a new one needs to be ordered, painted, and installed with a new bracket. FML. At least everything else went OK.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14187 on: February 12, 2021, 11:14:15 am »

Jaguar, it works 60% of the time, every time!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: February 12, 2021, 11:17:53 am »
:rofl:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: February 12, 2021, 11:30:20 am »
So the middle boy left the interior light on in his Fiero for a few hours. I thought maybe I should toss the charger on it for a bit. I wonder it starts fine in -30C that we have been stuck in this week.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14190 on: February 13, 2021, 05:35:51 pm »
-30 or under overnight temp last couple of days and my Lexus is dead.

Won't start.   

Plugged in the 2amp charger and block heater for 3 hous and still won't start.

I guess I will have to leave the charger on overnight.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: February 13, 2021, 05:38:38 pm »
-30 or under overnight temp last couple of days and my Lexus is dead.

Won't start.   

Plugged in the 2amp charger and block heater for 3 hous and still won't start.

I guess I will have to leave the charger on overnight.
Try to use your portable booster pack to start it? I hope you have one...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14192 on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:23 pm »
Looks like I am not going anywhere for the next few days, LOL.

Let's hope this melts quickly as I am getting my Camaro out in 10 days.

In other news, I purchased a little essential oil diffuser that attaches to the vent. Thought it would be nice to have some pleasant scent in my car without using anything artificial/synthetic. Will see how that works out.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14193 on: February 15, 2021, 12:42:48 pm »
I set my Scangauge to report engine oil temperature and I checked my oil temp at engine startup Sunday morning.

Air temp was -15F.  Our parking lot outlets are powered 24/7, which I appreciate.  Coolant temp was 50F and oil temp was 55F, opposite of what I expected.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:12:51 pm by Bubba »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14194 on: February 15, 2021, 01:35:09 pm »
I set my Scanguage to report engine oil temperature and I checked my oil temp at engine startup Sunday morning.

Air temp was -15F.  Our parking lot outlets are powered 24/7, which I appreciate.  Coolant temp was 50F and oil temp was 55F, opposite of what I expected.

Interesting. Can it tell oil temp and pressure while driving?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14195 on: February 15, 2021, 02:04:30 pm »
I set my Scangauge to report engine oil temperature and I checked my oil temp at engine startup Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the coding for oil pressure yet.  The engine oil and transmission oil temps are available while driving.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:12:34 pm by Bubba »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14196 on: February 15, 2021, 02:11:38 pm »
Thanks

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: February 15, 2021, 02:22:19 pm »

Unfortunately, I haven't found the coding for oil pressure yet.  The engine oil and transmission oil temps are available while driving.

We're you able to do this by programming an X gauge or does it automatically appear on your scan guage ? I have one too. Mostly use it for  fuel economy and coolant temperature as the civic doesn't have  a temp gauge.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14198 on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:16 pm »

We're you able to do this by programming an X gauge or does it automatically appear on your scan guage ? I have one too. Mostly use it for  fuel economy and coolant temperature as the civic doesn't have  a temp gauge.

The Scangauge site (www.scangauge.com) has "X-Gauge" commands, specific to automakers.  Here's the Honda page: https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/honda-acura/

If you do try to add them to your Scangauge, print the instructions and have them in the car with you.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: February 15, 2021, 02:44:03 pm »
Started my truck today for the first time in 8 days. It’s been sitting outside because we’ve been using half the garage for other projects and it doesn’t get used much lately. Not surprising, the battery was almost dead from sitting in this deep freeze. Hooked up the Noco booster pack and away she went.

Battery was dead again 4 days later in these -30 to -40 temps. This time I charged it until was reading fully charged. It is dead again today after sitting for 24 hrs. I guess the cold killed it.