Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009677 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14100 on: January 24, 2021, 11:25:17 pm »
^^ Link works for me. It was for a vehicle pre-heater. Webasto makes them, too: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

I've always been intrigued by these, but they're really spendy.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14101 on: January 24, 2021, 11:33:58 pm »
^^ Link works for me. It was for a vehicle pre-heater. Webasto makes them, too: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

I've always been intrigued by these, but they're really spendy.

I wonder if adding such a device to a lease would botch the warranty / lease terms...

I don't think it's a huge issue for the Yukon since it has remote start and I've also checked off the block heater accessory, but yeah, these are definitely fascinating.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14102 on: January 25, 2021, 12:32:33 am »
Wow, I remember something like that in our old air cooled VW.

I got very fond of a cheap plug in electric heater when I lived up north, that together with a block heater was great. Put it all on a timer to kick in a few hours before I drove to work

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14103 on: January 25, 2021, 06:18:48 am »
Never been on 144 ,
In the winter it would be pretty empty  :o

Offline vreniS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: none, but would like to get one soon
« Reply #14104 on: January 25, 2021, 07:07:01 am »
I helped my dad to change wheels :D our old ones had to be removed

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14105 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
Had a wheel alignment done on my friend's Mazda6. The front toes are a bit out of whack but it's fine otherwise.

I initially didn't want to do it, but let's just say that I have been driving this car a little hard and my conscience wouldn't let me rest if I don't check the alignment on it.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14106 on: January 25, 2021, 07:06:17 pm »
Put the new winter tires on the 328d wagon. Michelin has been trying to get us to review the new X-Ice Snow, so this was a great chance to put them through the ringer.

Snowfall tomorrow!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: January 25, 2021, 07:12:04 pm »
Put the new winter tires on the 328d wagon. Michelin has been trying to get us to review the new X-Ice Snow, so this was a great chance to put them through the ringer.

Snowfall tomorrow!

I'm an X-Ice slappy...so these (from the testing I've seen) should be unstoppable with your AWD
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: January 25, 2021, 07:19:35 pm »

Snowfall tomorrow!

I'm an X-Ice slappy...so these (from the testing I've seen) should be unstoppable with your AWD

I really hope so. I've had decent luck with the General Altimax on the Lexus as well as the 285-45r22 Blizzak DMV2 that I run on my Yukon (they're currently waiting for Yukon 2).

I was actually also surprised by the Sailun Ice Blazer if you're looking for a pure value tire, too.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14109 on: January 26, 2021, 03:29:20 pm »

Snowfall tomorrow!

I bought a set of these for the Subaru this year.  Replaced either xi2 or xi3, can't remember (still sold that set for $250 on kijiji).  Anyway, we've gotten less snow this year than I can ever remember, so not exactly putting them through their paces, but at least on dry pavement we're very happy.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14110 on: January 26, 2021, 03:33:29 pm »
The old-school mastercraft unit will charge it, leave it on long enough to get a few volts in it and then swap over to one of the smart chargers. That, or if you have a running car, hook up the booster cables and let the running car run for ~15 minutes or so. That'll be enough to put a surface charge on the dead battery so the 'smart' charger will kick on when you connect it.

After at least 24 hours on the mastercraft charger with another battery in parallel, it might be starting to take a charge.

Now, should I change to my Ctek and recondition?  Or just regular charge?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14111 on: January 26, 2021, 08:36:08 pm »
The old-school mastercraft unit will charge it, leave it on long enough to get a few volts in it and then swap over to one of the smart chargers. That, or if you have a running car, hook up the booster cables and let the running car run for ~15 minutes or so. That'll be enough to put a surface charge on the dead battery so the 'smart' charger will kick on when you connect it.

After at least 24 hours on the mastercraft charger with another battery in parallel, it might be starting to take a charge.

Reconditioning, in most cases, uses pulses to try and break-down build up (sulfation) on the plates...It can't hurt. I think most high-end smart chargers (CTEK included) will automatically go into reconditioning whether you set it or not if it detects that the battery needs it.

To answer your question, yeah, I'd probably switch it over to the CTEK at this point.

No guarantees with a battery at this point, it might come back to be serviceable again, it might not. Deep discharges like this are really not good for a starting (non-deep cycle) battery. 

Offline spanishred637

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Infiniti Q50
« Reply #14112 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:16 pm »
Just changed my front pads.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14113 on: January 27, 2021, 03:44:44 pm »

Reconditioning, in most cases, uses pulses to try and break-down build up (sulfation) on the plates...It can't hurt. I think most high-end smart chargers (CTEK included) will automatically go into reconditioning whether you set it or not if it detects that the battery needs it.

To answer your question, yeah, I'd probably switch it over to the CTEK at this point.

No guarantees with a battery at this point, it might come back to be serviceable again, it might not. Deep discharges like this are really not good for a starting (non-deep cycle) battery.

They're not good for Deep Cycle batteries, either.  You don't really want to discharge a deep cycle down past 50%. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14114 on: January 27, 2021, 05:39:25 pm »
Took Mrs. Railton Infiniti into the dealer to look at a loud noise coming from the front fan area.
They ended up replacing g the whole twin electric fan assembly including shroud. Glad I wasn’t paying for that!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14115 on: January 27, 2021, 05:51:51 pm »

Those cheap load testers are useful things to have kicking around to see if there is any guts left

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14116 on: January 27, 2021, 06:03:09 pm »

Those cheap load testers are useful things to have kicking around to see if there is any guts left

Yeah, they are. I have one here and it's come in handy a couple times. Trans Am has a little lamp with a slider switch in the trunk area....at least once a year I accidentally leave it on, or knock it into the on position with something, and totally drain the battery. I usually test it before putting it back in service to make sure it's still good, so far it's held up (just a basic MotoMaster unit) but don't know how many more complete drain cycles it's got left, lol.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14117 on: January 27, 2021, 06:04:52 pm »

Yeah, they are. I have one here and it's come in handy a couple times. Trans Am has a little lamp with a slider switch in the trunk area....at least once a year I accidentally leave it on, or knock it into the on position with something, and totally drain the battery. I usually test it before putting it back in service to make sure it's still good, so far it's held up (just a basic MotoMaster unit) but don't know how many more complete drain cycles it's got left, lol.

I always think I should have one of those in my tool box.

But I'd use it so infrequently...I've just never bought one.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: January 27, 2021, 06:06:57 pm »

I always think I should have one of those in my tool box.

But I'd use it so infrequently...I've just never bought one.

I probably wouldn't pay for one, I have a lot of weird battery related stuff from when I was take care of that category at CT.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #14119 on: January 27, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
On sale they are not too badly priced:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/100a-battery-load-tester/product/PA0008494031

Can save a lot of dicking around