Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009928 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13960 on: January 15, 2021, 09:41:16 am »
So I haven't 'done' anything but research, but I figured I'd check to see what my truck is worth.  NOT because I want to get rid of it, but rather because sometimes I like to know what I'm sitting on.  I did a Canada-Wide search on AutoTrader (Canada-wide because Manitoba only has 4-5 2018+ Tundra's for sale, so the numbers are skewed - they're mostly sitting above MSRP) for 2018-2019 Tundras, and sorted by price low-high.  Most SR5+ trims with 70 - 100k kms are sitting at low to mid $40k.  TRD Off-Road (my truck) and Limiteds are sitting at $44-$48k.  But all those trucks have ~70k kms, which I would say is average for the year).  My truck currently has 26 000kms, and is in pretty much perfect condition, so I think it's safe to say it's worth at the high end of what the TRD Off-Roads are going for, which would be ~$48k. 

Given MSRP for the truck was $54k, but I paid $42k + fees & tax, even had I paid full MSRP, the truck has only lost 11% of its value from MSRP.  What I actually paid (including freight, fees & taxes) was right around $50k, so I've only lost about 4% of what I paid to depreciation.  Obviously trade-in value would be lower than that. 

That being said I've more than made up for that lack of depreciation in gas money ($5760 spent on fuel over the life of the truck) LOL. 

Maybe somebody like REV who has access to used vehicle values can double check my numbers.  AutoTrader could be completely off, or I might be inadvertantly biasing the numbers.

I just checked the "sold" listings on one of the auction sites and your numbers are bang on. Tundras are nuts for retaining value.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13961 on: January 15, 2021, 12:30:40 pm »
So I haven't 'done' anything but research, but I figured I'd check to see what my truck is worth.  NOT because I want to get rid of it, but rather because sometimes I like to know what I'm sitting on.  I did a Canada-Wide search on AutoTrader (Canada-wide because Manitoba only has 4-5 2018+ Tundra's for sale, so the numbers are skewed - they're mostly sitting above MSRP) for 2018-2019 Tundras, and sorted by price low-high.  Most SR5+ trims with 70 - 100k kms are sitting at low to mid $40k.  TRD Off-Road (my truck) and Limiteds are sitting at $44-$48k.  But all those trucks have ~70k kms, which I would say is average for the year).  My truck currently has 26 000kms, and is in pretty much perfect condition, so I think it's safe to say it's worth at the high end of what the TRD Off-Roads are going for, which would be ~$48k. 

Given MSRP for the truck was $54k, but I paid $42k + fees & tax, even had I paid full MSRP, the truck has only lost 11% of its value from MSRP.  What I actually paid (including freight, fees & taxes) was right around $50k, so I've only lost about 4% of what I paid to depreciation.  Obviously trade-in value would be lower than that. 

That being said I've more than made up for that lack of depreciation in gas money ($5760 spent on fuel over the life of the truck) LOL. 

Maybe somebody like REV who has access to used vehicle values can double check my numbers.  AutoTrader could be completely off, or I might be inadvertantly biasing the numbers.

I just checked the "sold" listings on one of the auction sites and your numbers are bang on. Tundras are nuts for retaining value.

You'll appreciate that when it's time to buy a new one...in twenty years.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13962 on: January 15, 2021, 12:56:30 pm »

My wife has told me in no uncertain terms that the next new vehicle is going to be hers, so I'm in this truck for the long haul.  Not that I'm upset about that.  Everytime I drive it (which isn't all that often anymore - it's more of a toy now) I'm reminded that it's the perfect truck for me. 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13963 on: January 15, 2021, 01:09:35 pm »

My wife has told me in no uncertain terms that the next new vehicle is going to be hers, so I'm in this truck for the long haul.  Not that I'm upset about that.  Everytime I drive it (which isn't all that often anymore - it's more of a toy now) I'm reminded that it's the perfect truck for me.

So the Civic is your daily? Great little econobox for what it is!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: January 15, 2021, 01:17:23 pm »

Oh yeah, totally.  Most of my daily trips are short - 5 minutes or less, and I hated putting those trips on the truck.  This includes my drive to work.  And I do that drive four times a day, as I come home for lunch every day.  Then there are errands to the grocery store, pet store, liquor store, etc. 

I occasionally take the truck out for longer treks as a treat, or if I need a truck to move something, or when it has snowed a fair bit.  And during the warmer months the truck is our vacation-mobile, pulling our trailer to various parks.  But for the past year, it stays parked most of the time, going out maybe only a couple times a month. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #13965 on: January 15, 2021, 01:30:33 pm »
Is it really cheaper to maintain a second vehicle just to save mileage on the Tundra?  Since the depreciation hit on the truck is so negligible, I'd rather just spend my time in the nicer vehicle.  I know the fuel consumption is significant, but YOLO  :P

A family friend used to lease a Yukon SLT and then bought a Smart car to tool around in, just to save on fuel costs.  I really don't think he was coming ahead...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13966 on: January 15, 2021, 01:49:19 pm »
Is it really cheaper to maintain a second vehicle just to save mileage on the Tundra?  Since the depreciation hit on the truck is so negligible, I'd rather just spend my time in the nicer vehicle.  I know the fuel consumption is significant, but YOLO  :P

A family friend used to lease a Yukon SLT and then bought a Smart car to tool around in, just to save on fuel costs.  I really don't think he was coming ahead...
Like Buying Blenheim Palace and only living in the kitchen to save on heating costs...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: January 15, 2021, 02:36:29 pm »

Running costs/mileage on the Tundra wasn't the issue.  I would have no problem racking up the mileage on the truck.  It was all the short little sub 5 minute trips (which I consider automotive abuse) and parking my nice (and rather large) truck in supermarket parking lots where any mouthbreather could hit the corner of it or put in a door ding.  With the Civic I can do all that stuff guilt free.  The Civic takes the abuse of daily use, keeping the truck nice for longer drives.  My goal is for this truck to be one of those cherry 15 year old trucks that Rev gets his hands on from time to time. 

Plus we now have the added benefits of having two vehicles, which has proven to be handy from time to time, and will become more useful if my wife eventually goes back to the office post COVID. 

And the car doesn't cost all that much to run.  It's less than $200/month when you factor in gas, insurance and maintenance. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:38:29 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: January 15, 2021, 02:49:08 pm »

Running costs/mileage on the Tundra wasn't the issue.  I would have no problem racking up the mileage on the truck.  It was all the short little sub 5 minute trips (which I consider automotive abuse) and parking my nice (and rather large) truck in supermarket parking lots where any mouthbreather could hit the corner of it or put in a door ding.  With the Civic I can do all that stuff guilt free.  The Civic takes the abuse of daily use, keeping the truck nice for longer drives.  My goal is for this truck to be one of those cherry 15 year old trucks that Rev gets his hands on from time to time. 

Plus we now have the added benefits of having two vehicles, which has proven to be handy from time to time, and will become more useful if my wife eventually goes back to the office post COVID. 

And the car doesn't cost all that much to run.  It's less than $200/month when you factor in gas, insurance and maintenance.

Ah, I didn't clue in that without the Civic you would be down to just one vehicle  It is certainly nice to have two as a family, for sure.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: January 15, 2021, 02:53:53 pm »

For some of us Plebeian's it is our main car.  :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: January 15, 2021, 02:59:57 pm »
Ah, I didn't clue in that without the Civic you would be down to just one vehicle  It is certainly nice to have two as a family, for sure.

We made one vehicle work for 4-5 years, and while not ideal, most of the time it was just fine.  This year, with COVID, and my wife working from home, one vehicle would have been perfectly acceptable. 

Having two vehicles does give us additional options with regards to logistics.  When I went on my canoe trip with the boys this fall, my truck was the only vehicle that we could comfortably fit the 3 boats, all our gear, and 4 people, so it's the vehicle we used.  Without the Civic my wife would have been without a vehicle for 5 days.  I'm planning to do more of these guy trips this summer, so that's one less source of guilt for me. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:57 pm »
Posted for sale on Kijiji.

Let's see what happens.

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/lexus/used/#vip=18524891
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:45:43 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: January 15, 2021, 03:26:14 pm »
I thought you were waiting...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: January 15, 2021, 03:29:34 pm »
On a totally unrelated note, I found an ad for what should be a very rare, well maintained car! Someone here should buy it...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-lexus-is300-manual-lsd/m100505

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:46 pm »
Posted for sale on Kijiji.

Let's see what happens.

Good luck!  Nice ride, I don't think I had seen photos posted before.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: January 15, 2021, 03:39:11 pm »
I was, but part of waiting is to patiently list the car for sale. Wont take lowballs, but if someone wants it for what I want for it...will not argue and will drive a beater Corolla in the interim.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:14 pm »
I was, but part of waiting is to patiently list the car for sale. Wont take lowballs, but if someone wants it for what I want for it...will not argue and will drive a beater Corolla in the interim.

Best part is you can buy a beater Corolla for $4k, drive it for a year, then sell it for $4k.  They don't depreciate past $4k.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13977 on: January 15, 2021, 03:56:51 pm »
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13978 on: January 15, 2021, 04:32:21 pm »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: January 15, 2021, 05:56:30 pm »
On a totally unrelated note, I found an ad for what should be a very rare, well maintained car! Someone here should buy it...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2004-lexus-is300-manual-lsd/m100505
Haha I just saw this, man you are fast. Must get notifications or something...