Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009743 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13920 on: January 07, 2021, 01:27:38 pm »
Dunno...Same line fits all DTS 2006-2011, so those 2011's are barely 10 years old. I think the problem is that these lines are unique to DTS (and two model years of Buick Lucerne with the N* motor), so vehicle population is super low, nobody wants to support it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: January 07, 2021, 02:16:53 pm »
Dunno...Same line fits all DTS 2006-2011, so those 2011's are barely 10 years old. I think the problem is that these lines are unique to DTS (and two model years of Buick Lucerne with the N* motor), so vehicle population is super low, nobody wants to support it.
Part number?

I'm slow at work...I'll track one down.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13922 on: January 07, 2021, 02:31:01 pm »

The burst brake line is a hard line, but it has a couple flexy sections built into it to cope with engine bay vibrations...well, those unique lines are no longer available through GM. So my guy was able to make a new section and splice it in (don't ask me how because looking at the area, I have no idea how he got in there to do it), but warned me that with the flexy section the line might be under undue stress, so it would be good to find an OE style replacement....So I am working on that.

I thought manufacturers had to supply replacement parts for a few years after production, what happened to that?
Not enough profit in brake lines?  Take too long to need replacement?
Sometimes, yes. But I have seen some GM parts discontinued after only a couple of years after production. Not officially discontinued, but permanently "BO NO STOCK." So SOL.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13923 on: January 07, 2021, 03:48:17 pm »
Part number?

I'm slow at work...I'll track one down.

15912314 (which is the one I need and cannot find). 15912313 is the second line that runs next to the one I need, it's readily available...of course, though I am going to order one for future use.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: January 07, 2021, 08:49:24 pm »
A bit of seepage isn’t usually too big a deal, but is that a crack?

I double checked and there is no crack. :) Seepage isn't too bad however the serpentine belt right below it was replaced last year, I don't want oil dripping on it. Apparently due to the design of the pulley, bits of the belt can get into the engine if oil gets on it.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/why-you-cant-ignore-an-oil-filter-housing-leak-on-an-n51-n52-n54-or-n55-engine

I got a few quotes today, ranging from $200 - $700.  :o The range in pricing for car repairs is crazy. ::)

$200 is a Audi/VW/Porsche indie but does all Euro makes.
$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:53:49 pm by 1FGC »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13925 on: January 07, 2021, 09:18:46 pm »

I double checked and there is no crack. :) Seepage isn't too bad however the serpentine belt right below it was replaced last year, I don't want oil dripping on it. Apparently due to the design of the pulley, bits of the belt can get into the engine if oil gets on it.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/why-you-cant-ignore-an-oil-filter-housing-leak-on-an-n51-n52-n54-or-n55-engine

I got a few quotes today, ranging from $200 - $700.  :o The range in pricing for car repairs is crazy. ::)

$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer

I'm guessing the BMW indie is Duss Brothers.  Who is the Euro multi brand?
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13926 on: January 07, 2021, 09:20:13 pm »

$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer
It will chew up the belt, it did on Bella's.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: January 07, 2021, 09:32:06 pm »

$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer

I'm guessing the BMW indie is Duss Brothers.  Who is the Euro multi brand?

Autovation in Stittsville is the BMW indie. I think the owner is part of the Ottawa BMW Club. Autobahn Tuning in Manotick is the Audi/VW indie. Otto's BMW is the dealer.

It will chew up the belt, it did on Bella's.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Yes so I will get it replaced ASAP. Cheap fix anyway. The oil pan can wait.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13928 on: January 07, 2021, 09:40:34 pm »

$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer

Well, I guess that’s good news. The DIY doesn’t look too bad, but might get a little messy with the coolant.

$200 seems pretty reasonable if it’s a shop you trust. Maybe they’ve done a lot of these & know how to bang them out quick? But seems odd the BMW indie is over double the price.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: January 07, 2021, 09:44:37 pm »

$500 from a BMW indie
$700 BMW dealer

Well, I guess that’s good news. The DIY doesn’t look too bad, but might get a little messy with the coolant.

$200 seems pretty reasonable if it’s a shop you trust. Maybe they’ve done a lot of these & know how to bang them out quick? But seems odd the BMW indie is over double the price.

I have a feeling the BMW shop quoted me the price for a 135i (N54 turbo 6 engine). Theres more parts to remove on that engine, I believe theres an oil cooler.

But yeah, these guys sound like they know what they're doing. Online DIY guys say it can be done in one hour which I don't have an interest doing. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13930 on: January 08, 2021, 10:56:16 am »

I have a feeling the BMW shop quoted me the price for a 135i (N54 turbo 6 engine). Theres more parts to remove on that engine, I believe theres an oil cooler.

But yeah, these guys sound like they know what they're doing. Online DIY guys say it can be done in one hour which I don't have an interest doing. 

200 sounds almost TOO GOOD of a deal.
i've done my own oil filter housing seal couple years(or more now...i can't remember) on my S54 engine, and i think it took me more than an hour.. though i don't know how much different it is for N series engine, it can't be too different.

700 is ridiculous though... 

anyway, ordered trunk struts for both SLK and M3.  on and 1 fog light to replace the cracked one on the SLK. 

looking to buy some clear protective clear films for the fog..  do you guys know where i can get some for the lenses on the fog?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13931 on: January 08, 2021, 11:10:06 am »

200 sounds almost TOO GOOD of a deal.
i've done my own oil filter housing seal couple years(or more now...i can't remember) on my S54 engine, and i think it took me more than an hour.. though i don't know how much different it is for N series engine, it can't be too different.

700 is ridiculous though... 

anyway, ordered trunk struts for both SLK and M3.  on and 1 fog light to replace the cracked one on the SLK. 

looking to buy some clear protective clear films for the fog..  do you guys know where i can get some for the lenses on the fog?

You can buy 3M adhesive film on Amazon. I used small pieces on my MTB to stop cables rubbing.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #13932 on: January 10, 2021, 11:13:22 am »
So my cousin's kid is a big Subaru fan, especially WRX/STIs. So for his bday, she asked if any friends on FB could do a drive by at their house. She also posted to a local group on FB and got a pretty good response. Here is a vid put together by one of her neighbours who does it professionally (films for commercials). My car is the first one during the parade.

https://vimeo.com/498799951?fbclid=IwAR0dss71Udrw_rHcnSevOsccqG4Hwyr9zuLpmXgesuQoqqjjretwrD1W0Wg

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13933 on: January 10, 2021, 11:18:10 am »
So my cousin's kid is a big Subaru fan, especially WRX/STIs. So for his bday, she asked if any friends on FB could do a drive by at their house. She also posted to a local group on FB and got a pretty good response. Here is a vid put together by one of her neighbours who does it professionally (films for commercials). My car is the first one during the parade.

https://vimeo.com/498799951?fbclid=IwAR0dss71Udrw_rHcnSevOsccqG4Hwyr9zuLpmXgesuQoqqjjretwrD1W0Wg

Very cool.   This seems to be a birthday thing now, I see it pop up on my facebook feed now and then
Mr Pickypants

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: January 10, 2021, 02:28:34 pm »

Very cool.   This seems to be a birthday thing now, I see it pop up on my facebook feed now and then

I've seen friends and family do the drive by but never complete strangers just because a kid liked their car. You've seen others do that too?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13935 on: January 10, 2021, 02:43:29 pm »

I've seen friends and family do the drive by but never complete strangers just because a kid liked their car. You've seen others do that too?
Locally, a Jeep club did the same thing.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: January 10, 2021, 03:17:59 pm »

Cool! 👍👍

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13937 on: January 10, 2021, 03:23:22 pm »

Cool! [emoji106][emoji106]
Personally, I think a parade of WRXs is cooler. :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13938 on: January 10, 2021, 10:59:46 pm »

Usually it's the same people who hang out in parking lots for impromptu car meets.  They'll put out the word online and go do a drive by.   Looks the same as what you posted.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13939 on: January 11, 2021, 07:40:24 am »
A few weeks ago we had a whole bunch of RAM trucks do a driveby on our street.  I know there's a Winnipeg Ram owners club, so I'm guessing it was those guys doing a driveby for somebody's birthday. 

We live right next to a corner (just a corner, not an intersection), and every single Ram gunned it to fishtail around the corner, lol.  Typical truck stuff, ya know.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:42:24 am by Great_Big_Abyss »