Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010028 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13780 on: December 08, 2020, 07:22:59 pm »

It always boggles my mind why they decided that a truck engine needing premium is a good idea.

More POW-UH , better FE and potentially fewer emissions is my guess?  Probably even minute improvements makes a difference in CAFE, since the Big 2+1 sell so many trucks?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2014/10/premium-fuel-could-reduce-carbon-emissions/

CAFE is both the best and worst thing to happen to vehicles.     It's forced a lot of improvements, but also added complexity and problems.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: December 08, 2020, 07:25:49 pm »

It always boggles my mind why they decided that a truck engine needing premium is a good idea.

More POW-UH , better FE and potentially fewer emissions is my guess?  Probably even minute improvements makes a difference in CAFE, since the Big 2+1 sell so many trucks?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2014/10/premium-fuel-could-reduce-carbon-emissions/

CAFE is both the best and worst thing to happen to vehicles.     It's forced a lot of improvements, but also added complexity and problems.

Agreed.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13782 on: December 09, 2020, 10:31:59 am »
I hate it because it's just not my style. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it's not a car I'd ever have bought. I spent sub-$1,000 on my Volvo 240, and I've bought quite a few sub-$5,000 cars (my old G35, beige LS 400, even my 560SEL before I fixed it up)... but this is just "blah".

While beater-hunting sounds fun, this isn't anywhere near as cool as the stuff Revelations or Arthur Dent pick up. The requirements were simple: decent brakes and tires, and the ability to park it for week after week at manufacturers' lots while I drive testers, until my new Yukon comes in and I can start using my Lexus for this purpose again.

Firm and I tossed a new battery into it and it's probably good for this purpose, but I'm also trying to make it until the end of Jan on just this one tank of diesel!

Wait I thought you already had the Yukon?

Yukon 1 or Yukon 2? I just got rid of Yukon 1 last week, and the new diesel Denali is factory ordered - won't be here till sometime in January.

Is soundproofing better than on the Silverado? My top-trim tester 3 litre diesel truck sounded like a TopKick, but the mill pulled pretty well. The 6.2 V8 in this week's Escalade hauls *** and I'm only 3 l/100 km above what I got with the diesel Silverado so far.

Iunno about differences in the sound proofing, but I also had a 3L diesel Sierra a couple weeks ago, mine was an AT4, and the engine noise (outside and in the cabin) was my biggest complaint....Way better than diesels of 20 years ago, but still ugly sounding. I'd opt for the 6.2L (which is slightly cheaper) just for the V8 sound.

Yup, the Duramax clangs, pops and hisses like a big rig.

The Denali and Escalade are supposed to have ridiculously good sound insulation. I put about 1,500km on a Silverado High Country Duramax last summer and didn't notice it being much noisier than my 6.2 Yukon except under load. I observed 7.5-7.6L/100km without really trying, which yes, is about 3.0L/100km better than the 6.2 can do.

Even that arbitrary 3.0L/100km would make a difference considering the 6.2L takes premium, and considering the driving style and the mileage that I put on. I do long highway road trips into northern Ontario, where diesel prices aren't necessarily higher than in the city, but regular/premium gasoline can be significantly higher.

For long hauls the diesel makes sense. I was also in a Silevrado High Country (msrp 80k$) and the 2.5 hr highway bit I did was calm, but around town with all the lights and stop signs it's always under load and sounds like a school bus. I got 11.5 with the Duramax. I'm now in the 15's with the 6.2 'Slade.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13783 on: December 09, 2020, 11:03:26 am »
Getting the IS300 appraised for trade in.

A customer is trading in a 2015 XJR-L black on black/tan and in impeccable condition. I am going to buy it if I get financed.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13784 on: December 09, 2020, 11:08:38 am »

A customer is trading in a 2015 XJR-L black on black/tan and in impeccable condition. I am going to buy it if I get financed.

We will pray for you...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13785 on: December 09, 2020, 11:11:58 am »

We will pray for you...

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13786 on: December 09, 2020, 11:28:29 am »

We will pray for you...

Never a good sign when the guy with a FGC is being comparatively smug about reliability.   ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13787 on: December 09, 2020, 11:34:25 am »

We will pray for you...

Never a good sign when the guy with a FGC is being comparatively smug about reliability.   ;D

No, never is...know thyself :)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13788 on: December 09, 2020, 11:35:02 am »

We will pray for you...

:laugh:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: December 09, 2020, 11:36:08 am »

Aren't you better off selling the IS privately?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: December 09, 2020, 11:44:39 am »

I may be, depends on what they give me. If it is really low, then privately it will go. I want at least $10k for it, if not closer to $15k.

Dont know the value of the XJ yet, but the sales manager said they have nosedived in value lately.

I am apprehensive, because this manager has already :censor: me on two used car sales. Told him I was interested, and he sold them under me to wholesalers for LESS than what I was willing to pay.

I am praying too.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13791 on: December 09, 2020, 11:45:58 am »

I may be, depends on what they give me. If it is really low, then privately it will go. I want at least $10k for it, if not closer to $15k.

Dont know the value of the XJ yet, but the sales manager said they have nosedived in value lately.

I am apprehensive, because this manager has already :censor: me on two used car sales. Told him I was interested, and he sold them under me to wholesalers for LESS than what I was willing to pay.

I am praying too.

Maybe he didn't :censor: you, maybe he really likes you and wanted to help you...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: December 09, 2020, 11:48:08 am »

I am praying too.

Maybe he didn't :censor: you, maybe he really likes you and wanted to help you...

I was thinking the same thing...  :rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: December 09, 2020, 11:53:10 am »

I am praying too.

$10k on a trade in seems high even, no? Doubt they'd put it on their lot to sell, right? So they'd wholesale it off in the end and from my experience they usually just throw it up to see what offers they'd get for it. I know privately is a pain in the ass right now, but that's where you'd probably get the most cash.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: December 09, 2020, 12:07:14 pm »
I agree, but we will see where the money lands. The sales manager is a manual enthusiast and likes my car after he drove it, so I have that going for me. He knows how rare and desirable the car is, so I am hopeful.

If the value is too low, I will go private. Hassle, but yeah the money will be there.

Will update as things progress.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: December 09, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
I agree, but we will see where the money lands. The sales manager is a manual enthusiast and likes my car after he drove it, so I have that going for me. He knows how rare and desirable the car is, so I am hopeful.

If the value is too low, I will go private. Hassle, but yeah the money will be there.

Will update as things progress.

Why the “L” version? That seems limousine like. Is there a regular wheelbase version you can hold out on or is this particular car that good?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: December 09, 2020, 12:11:26 pm »
It's the long wheelbase version.  Much more room in the back seat.  EXACTLY what a young guy with no kids needs  :rofl2:

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: December 09, 2020, 12:12:30 pm »
It's the long wheelbase version.  Much more room in the back seat.  EXACTLY what a young guy with no kids needs  :rofl2:

Lol...he’s not a teenager

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: December 09, 2020, 12:13:39 pm »
BTW, this car had better be black.  IMO no other colour for such a baller vehicle.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: December 09, 2020, 12:22:13 pm »
I am not young anymore, and I have a girlfriend (whom will become my fiancee in the not too distant future I hope) that has a 5 year old.

So yeah, could be a good car for us.

And holding out for a short wheelbase version may take forever. These are rare and almost never change hands for ones in decent shape. I like the L anyways for the kid.