Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009998 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13760 on: November 30, 2020, 10:44:10 am »

We bought some extra Fiero rims for $45 as no one wants 14" rims. Put on the winters from the Mustang 14" rims. Just in time for the snow to melt and the boy's schooling to be moved online.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13761 on: November 30, 2020, 11:13:14 am »
Sweet! I doubt there are many Fieros running around on winter tires these days.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13762 on: November 30, 2020, 11:21:07 am »
We bought some extra Fiero rims for $45 as no one wants 14" rims. Put on the winters from the Mustang 14" rims. Just in time for the snow to melt and the boy's schooling to be moved online.  ;D

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13763 on: November 30, 2020, 12:38:15 pm »
I just noticed on a Volt FB group, there was a newer OTA this end of November. They are not very specifics on the update, hard to tell what are the fixes...

https://my.gm.ca/gmc/en/how-to-support/maintenance/over-air-software-updates
I wonder if Camaro will get anything. Will have to check next year when I take it out of the storage.
How long did the update take? Wonder why they make you sit in the car and push the brake/clutch or open/shut the door every 20 minutes?
It took about 40 minutes.

The brake/clutch pressing is just so the car doesn't cut the power in ACC mode after 20 minutes and damage your head unit.

The official recommendation is to just go do your own thing and set up a timer so you come back and open the door every 20 minutes.

That's an all-factory look. Love it!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:40:10 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13764 on: November 30, 2020, 01:39:29 pm »

This looks awesome. I have a "lesser model" set of 17" winters for the Lexus that save the car from ugly steelies... grabbed an alloy set since the chrome on the wheels Ron had was all peeled and causing leaks.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13765 on: November 30, 2020, 03:14:57 pm »
Reminds me of the one winter (2015/16) where I repurposed some space Sonoma rims and snow tires for the TA. I thought it looked kinda cool

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13766 on: December 05, 2020, 05:50:03 pm »
Brought this stupid thing home in the interim until my new '21 Yukon Denali gets here. Diesel, manual transmission, crank windows. It's a turd but it's a perfectly acceptable means of transportation.

Brand new brakes, new wheel bearings, new control arms, CV boots, a windshield, etc. All it needed was a battery, and conveniently, our friend Firm had a brand new battery in this exact size hanging around in his garage. Generally haggard but not rusty!

So what's gone so wrong? You seem to hate this thing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: December 05, 2020, 05:59:13 pm »
Brought this stupid thing home in the interim until my new '21 Yukon Denali gets here. Diesel, manual transmission, crank windows. It's a turd but it's a perfectly acceptable means of transportation.

Brand new brakes, new wheel bearings, new control arms, CV boots, a windshield, etc. All it needed was a battery, and conveniently, our friend Firm had a brand new battery in this exact size hanging around in his garage. Generally haggard but not rusty!

So what's gone so wrong? You seem to hate this thing
Probably because it's a POS compared to what he's used to driving! LOL

I feel his pain...my Prime is a nice car. But it sure isn't a Lexus! Not even an old Lexus.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:44:40 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13768 on: December 05, 2020, 06:10:05 pm »
I hate it because it's just not my style. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it's not a car I'd ever have bought. I spent sub-$1,000 on my Volvo 240, and I've bought quite a few sub-$5,000 cars (my old G35, beige LS 400, even my 560SEL before I fixed it up)... but this is just "blah".

While beater-hunting sounds fun, this isn't anywhere near as cool as the stuff Revelations or Arthur Dent pick up. The requirements were simple: decent brakes and tires, and the ability to park it for week after week at manufacturers' lots while I drive testers, until my new Yukon comes in and I can start using my Lexus for this purpose again.

Firm and I tossed a new battery into it and it's probably good for this purpose, but I'm also trying to make it until the end of Jan on just this one tank of diesel!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13769 on: December 06, 2020, 12:14:17 am »
Spent the day detailing and photographing the 85 Lebaron in preparation for its review by ICBC to get collector plates. Has to be 100% stock so I installed the factory radio (previous owner had installed a CD player). They are fussy so fingers crossed they declare it in good enough condition to be eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:drool: :fall:

How'd I miss this?  Mopar's SAAB 900 Turbo - I love these - especially in Shelby Lancer form...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:25:53 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13770 on: December 06, 2020, 12:25:40 am »
So I added up the maintenance and repair costs of my car during my ownership using my paper records inputed into an Excel sheet.

2012 128i. Bought in July 2016 with 45k. Came with 3 years of a BMW all-inclusive warranty.

After 5.5 years of ownership and 90k of driving:

Total Repairs (out of pocket): $2540
Total Maintenance: $5530

Maintenance includes all fluids, filters, tires and brakes. The warranty really saved my ass because that amount could've easily tripled.  :o

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: December 06, 2020, 10:34:39 am »
I hate it because it's just not my style. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it's not a car I'd ever have bought. I spent sub-$1,000 on my Volvo 240, and I've bought quite a few sub-$5,000 cars (my old G35, beige LS 400, even my 560SEL before I fixed it up)... but this is just "blah".

While beater-hunting sounds fun, this isn't anywhere near as cool as the stuff Revelations or Arthur Dent pick up. The requirements were simple: decent brakes and tires, and the ability to park it for week after week at manufacturers' lots while I drive testers, until my new Yukon comes in and I can start using my Lexus for this purpose again.

Firm and I tossed a new battery into it and it's probably good for this purpose, but I'm also trying to make it until the end of Jan on just this one tank of diesel!

Wait I thought you already had the Yukon?

Yukon 1 or Yukon 2? I just got rid of Yukon 1 last week, and the new diesel Denali is factory ordered - won't be here till sometime in January.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13772 on: December 08, 2020, 11:34:35 am »

Yukon 1 or Yukon 2? I just got rid of Yukon 1 last week, and the new diesel Denali is factory ordered - won't be here till sometime in January.

Is soundproofing better than on the Silverado? My top-trim tester 3 litre diesel truck sounded like a TopKick, but the mill pulled pretty well. The 6.2 V8 in this week's Escalade hauls *** and I'm only 3 l/100 km above what I got with the diesel Silverado so far.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:34 pm »

Is soundproofing better than on the Silverado? My top-trim tester 3 litre diesel truck sounded like a TopKick, but the mill pulled pretty well. The 6.2 V8 in this week's Escalade hauls *** and I'm only 3 l/100 km above what I got with the diesel Silverado so far.

Iunno about differences in the sound proofing, but I also had a 3L diesel Sierra a couple weeks ago, mine was an AT4, and the engine noise (outside and in the cabin) was my biggest complaint....Way better than diesels of 20 years ago, but still ugly sounding. I'd opt for the 6.2L (which is slightly cheaper) just for the V8 sound.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13774 on: December 08, 2020, 12:34:07 pm »

Iunno about differences in the sound proofing, but I also had a 3L diesel Sierra a couple weeks ago, mine was an AT4, and the engine noise (outside and in the cabin) was my biggest complaint....Way better than diesels of 20 years ago, but still ugly sounding. I'd opt for the 6.2L (which is slightly cheaper) just for the V8 sound.

Yup, the Duramax clangs, pops and hisses like a big rig.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13775 on: December 08, 2020, 06:47:26 pm »

The Denali and Escalade are supposed to have ridiculously good sound insulation. I put about 1,500km on a Silverado High Country Duramax last summer and didn't notice it being much noisier than my 6.2 Yukon except under load. I observed 7.5-7.6L/100km without really trying, which yes, is about 3.0L/100km better than the 6.2 can do.

Even that arbitrary 3.0L/100km would make a difference considering the 6.2L takes premium, and considering the driving style and the mileage that I put on. I do long highway road trips into northern Ontario, where diesel prices aren't necessarily higher than in the city, but regular/premium gasoline can be significantly higher.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13776 on: December 08, 2020, 06:50:43 pm »

The Denali and Escalade are supposed to have ridiculously good sound insulation. I put about 1,500km on a Silverado High Country Duramax last summer and didn't notice it being much noisier than my 6.2 Yukon except under load. I observed 7.5-7.6L/100km without really trying, which yes, is about 3.0L/100km better than the 6.2 can do.

Even that arbitrary 3.0L/100km would make a difference considering the 6.2L takes premium, and considering the driving style and the mileage that I put on. I do long highway road trips into northern Ontario, where diesel prices aren't necessarily higher than in the city, but regular/premium gasoline can be significantly higher.

Does it require DEF, and if so, how much does that add to the per litre cost?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13777 on: December 08, 2020, 06:52:07 pm »

Does it require DEF, and if so, how much does that add to the per litre cost?

From what I understand, DEF fill-ups are done at oil change intervals and cost me nothing because lease. This is yet to be 100% confirmed, however.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13778 on: December 08, 2020, 07:10:53 pm »

It always boggles my mind why they decided that a truck engine needing premium is a good idea.

It's one thing if 87 is recommended but it can make more power on 91 if you have the spare cash like the Mazda6 I am borrowing right now, but it's another if the truck is recommended to run on 91.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: December 08, 2020, 07:13:55 pm »

It always boggles my mind why they decided that a truck engine needing premium is a good idea.

More POW-UH , better FE and potentially fewer emissions is my guess?  Probably even minute improvements makes a difference in CAFE, since the Big 2+1 sell so many trucks?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2014/10/premium-fuel-could-reduce-carbon-emissions/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:16:56 pm by rrocket »