Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010162 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13720 on: November 22, 2020, 12:20:39 am »
Changed oil in the truck.  Drained it...hmmm...is that oil on the turbo?  Probably why it smells like burning oil when you drive it....hmmm... (kid googles it - it could just be anti freeze - uhm, no, burning oil is distinct, if it was antifreeze it would smell entirely different.  Well then if it's not coming out the exhaust, it could be an o-ring, cheap part, easy fix...get it done!!  Yikes...and here I was *hoping* this was my chance to put on 2 new better aftermarket turbos!! Moah Powah!! - You don't need more power dad, it has plenty enough as it is...pretty sure he's not, or no longer, my son... :think: "doesn't need more power"  Who are you?!?!)

Replaced the filter...and about to pour in the oil when I realize all I have on my shelves is 5/20 when it calls for 5/30.  It's cold out now right?  Shouldn't matter, right?  Nah...it's good.  Not like we're towing anything, or anything else really. 

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13721 on: November 22, 2020, 08:13:31 pm »
Watched it get covered in snow...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13722 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:07 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13723 on: November 23, 2020, 12:45:39 am »
monumentally idiotic... 
drove the merc again at night to test out the LED lights.

idiotic part was driving it without tightening the lug bolts again.....  i forgot to tighten it last time and forgot again...  drove it right home, and this time, tightened it up before i forget again. 

LED lights great though.  it wasn't snowing today so i could actually see how far the new lights being thrown and how wide...    so much better than previous halogen. 

this is only initial impression though as it's just off amazon, and may not last very long.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13724 on: November 23, 2020, 01:46:00 am »
^^^ I feel there is a connection between your LEDs and lug bolts  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #13725 on: November 28, 2020, 07:11:48 pm »
Spent the day detailing and photographing the 85 Lebaron in preparation for its review by ICBC to get collector plates. Has to be 100% stock so I installed the factory radio (previous owner had installed a CD player). They are fussy so fingers crossed they declare it in good enough condition to be eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13726 on: November 28, 2020, 07:35:58 pm »
^^ wow, just wow.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13727 on: November 28, 2020, 07:50:54 pm »
Brought this stupid thing home in the interim until my new '21 Yukon Denali gets here. Diesel, manual transmission, crank windows. It's a turd but it's a perfectly acceptable means of transportation.

Brand new brakes, new wheel bearings, new control arms, CV boots, a windshield, etc. All it needed was a battery, and conveniently, our friend Firm had a brand new battery in this exact size hanging around in his garage. Generally haggard but not rusty!

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
The MkIVs have such a cult following.

The interiors were so much nicer than the competition at the time.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13729 on: November 28, 2020, 08:34:21 pm »
^^ wow, just wow.

No kidding. Freaks me out that something in my living memory looks like it should be in a museum

My first digital watch had glowing numbers like that

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: November 28, 2020, 08:56:29 pm »
Spent the day detailing and photographing the 85 Lebaron in preparation for its review by ICBC to get collector plates. Has to be 100% stock so I installed the factory radio (previous owner had installed a CD player). They are fussy so fingers crossed they declare it in good enough condition to be eligible.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: November 28, 2020, 09:01:35 pm »
^^ wow, just wow.

No kidding. Freaks me out that something in my living memory looks like it should be in a museum

My first electronic calculator was the same way. I think it had AA batteries which didn't last very long. #old_school_cool  8)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: November 28, 2020, 09:10:04 pm »
Noticed missing weights inside my winter wheels. I blame the brake dust removing spray which corroded the weights so some flew off. Anyways, was in the area and stopped by my tire guy's garage. Dude is super busy - "make an appointment". Man, give me a strip of weights and I will be on my way  :D  Just finished installing them. Hopefully it'll bring the balance back to zen level.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #13733 on: November 28, 2020, 10:18:59 pm »
Installed new tailgate struts on the Outlander today. The ones I had before were crappy from day one - hard to close and when opening the hatch would come loaded and eventually hit you if unaware. Cheap aftermarket stuff installed by the dealer some 2 years ago as the OEMs were super expensive ($100+ IIRC) and I couldn't find Stabilus at the time (OEM brand).
Anyway I came across a pair of Stabilus on Rockauto few days ago, selling for just under $16 a pop which was the cheapest of all options so I bought them right away. $48 shipped, tax in so pretty good deal.  Surprisingly they are made in Germany too. They went in perfectly and work like a charm (as they should). I can now close the hatch with one finger. Wife will be happy too as she was bitching about it for some time and rightfully so.

Also installed rear jack pads on the GTI from Audi A3. The pinch welds started to look pretty rough and found out that some owners bought the A3 jack pads which fit the MK7 Golf/GTI. Ordered them from Latvia on eBay for a fraction of what the Audi dealers are charging for the same parts here and even US. The rear ones are very easy to install - snap into 2 holes on the undercarriage. The fronts require a bit more work and more parts. Fronts are yet to come but will have to wait until spring anyway. No planned trips to the dealer anytime soon so the pinch welds are safe for now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:22:39 pm by carcrazy »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: November 28, 2020, 10:46:45 pm »
Both rear punch weld jack supports on the golf are totally trashed. Not sure if it was the dealer or Costco.

Oddly it seems to be a pretty common issue with the Mk.7.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13735 on: November 28, 2020, 10:58:19 pm »
^^ wow, just wow.

I was 7 when this car was new and thought they were pretty cool (neighbour next door had one) Was pretty advanced for the time, turbocharged, EFI, digital trip computer, and above all it talked to you. My mom bought a new car in 85, it was still carbureted (a Tercel).

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13736 on: November 29, 2020, 12:08:58 am »

:drool: :fall:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13737 on: November 29, 2020, 12:10:50 am »
Brought this stupid thing home in the interim until my new '21 Yukon Denali gets here. Diesel, manual transmission, crank windows. It's a turd but it's a perfectly acceptable means of transportation.

Brand new brakes, new wheel bearings, new control arms, CV boots, a windshield, etc. All it needed was a battery, and conveniently, our friend Firm had a brand new battery in this exact size hanging around in his garage. Generally haggard but not rusty!

Enjoy the 1,000 km per tank.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13738 on: November 29, 2020, 10:00:36 am »

I wonder if kids today or in the future will know what to do with manual windows? I spec'd them on the Exige as it was one less thing to go wrong on a hand-built car with English electrics!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13739 on: November 29, 2020, 10:28:00 am »

I wonder if kids today or in the future will know what to do with manual windows? I spec'd them on the Exige as it was one less thing to go wrong on a hand-built car with English electrics!

Dude, we had an intern at DoubleClutch.ca a few years ago that lost his mind and was SnapChatting the window crank on a Nissan Micra press car to all of his friends. I just did the math, he'd have been born in '96-97.