Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010243 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13700 on: November 12, 2020, 07:03:51 pm »
Replaced the front brake pads on the Acadia.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13701 on: November 12, 2020, 07:45:06 pm »
Deflated my winter Xice from 33 to 31.5 psi for a smooth no bump ride  :D  They were only available in XL load rating which likely led to stiffer sidewalls. As great as Michelin tires are on my next tire purchase I will make sure not to exceed the recommended tire load rating.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #13702 on: November 14, 2020, 11:12:18 pm »
Changed the oil, new frt rotors, pads, new rear rotors, pads, calipers and replaced the fog light bulbs with LED yellow bulbs on the Acura TSX.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13703 on: November 17, 2020, 11:14:16 am »
Speaking of LED...

my Merc has projector Halogen H7 headlights.

lights were pretty dim, and light patterns weren't great. 

so, i decided it was time for a light change on this thing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ApwjEBqUZ5k5PA279

got some LED H7 bulbs on amazon. (supposedly 40W each)

lifted the car, took the front wheels, and wheel well liners off...

took out the old H7..  it looks original..  i mean, even though it's 15 years old, it only has 50k on it, so it's conceivable the bulbs never been replaced.

it was a gigantic pain to install the LEDs in this thing, cuz you gotta get the bulb adaptors on the LED bulb baseplates...

after much cursing, finally got it done.

turn the lights on, and voila.   it's on, and no error codes... i was expecting some, nice surprise that it didn't..

only thing is,..  the light pattern seem to have dark spot in the low middle.  not sure how this will look on the road, as it's snowing, and i haven't taken it out on a drive with new lights yet.

oh... also, got a tire inflator on amazon, so i could refill winter tires on the lexus.  5 lbs loss across the board on all tires during storage, so not bad at all.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: November 17, 2020, 11:18:29 am »

I got a set of stock Pontiac 14" rims for $45 (for the set) with toasted tires. We are going to swap over the 14" winter tires from the Mustang spare rims to make the Fiero usable in the snow.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: November 17, 2020, 03:57:16 pm »
Oldest just took the Fusion away to get it turned back into an AWD car.  Exhaust leaks like a bithc...sounds cool...I thought it should be a free install (though I didn't ask) - garage tells me oh about $45.  Not life or death...but c'mon, you would've put it on back in March when you took it off.  When it was the ONLY thing that needed replacing in the end. Harumph... >:( 
No more burnin' the front tires off after this.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: November 17, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
Nice!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13707 on: November 18, 2020, 09:22:10 pm »
Speaking of LED...

took out the old H7..  it looks original..  i mean, even though it's 15 years old, it only has 50k on it, so it's conceivable the bulbs never been replaced.

it was a gigantic pain to install the LEDs in this thing, cuz you gotta get the bulb adaptors on the LED bulb baseplates...

turn the lights on, and voila.   it's on, and no error codes... i was expecting some, nice surprise that it didn't..

only thing is,..  the light pattern seem to have dark spot in the low middle.  not sure how this will look on the road, as it's snowing, and i haven't taken it out on a drive with new lights yet.

oh... also, got a tire inflator on amazon, so i could refill winter tires on the lexus.  5 lbs loss across the board on all tires during storage, so not bad at all.
Nice work!! I noticed the light pattern is a bit weird on mine as well. The drivers side seems to point a bit lower than the passenger side one. Very noticeable on dark back country roads.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: November 18, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »
Winter mode engaged for the first time in years.
New American Racing rims and Cooper Discoverer True North tires.
Cool! I was gonna try to grab a set of winters to run the SLK this winter as well, but then decided to store it last weekend. Meanwhile this Friday will be +14, perfect for a run with the top down.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #13709 on: November 18, 2020, 10:43:08 pm »
Speaking of LED...

Nice work!! I noticed the light pattern is a bit weird on mine as well. The drivers side seems to point a bit lower than the passenger side one. Very noticeable on dark back country roads.

That was normal back in the day. It was to help prevent dazzling oncoming traffic, plus the right headlight lit up the road edge better. Maybe the tech who last aimed the lights is an old timer?  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13710 on: November 18, 2020, 10:55:34 pm »
It's still normal.

Driver side headlight is always a bit lower.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: November 18, 2020, 11:29:36 pm »
^thats what I suspected, just very noticeable on the SLK, never noticed it that MUCH on any of my other cars.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: November 18, 2020, 11:44:00 pm »
Got the driveshaft installed yesterday...put it on storage insurance today.  Guess I'm not going anywhere, could've saved almost a grand by now had I done that in March.  :bang:
Gonna try to tell the kid that it means my car has to stay in the garage...them's the rules.  :shuffle:
Mom wants me to move mine out so he can park his inside for winter.  ::)
It is my garage, isn't it?  >:(
Maybe I'll pull the battery...can't move without a battery.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: November 18, 2020, 11:46:31 pm »
Got the driveshaft installed yesterday...put it on storage insurance today.  Guess I'm not going anywhere, could've saved almost a grand by now had I done that in March.  :bang:
Gonna try to tell the kid that it means my car has to stay in the garage...them's the rules.  :shuffle:
Mom wants me to move mine out so he can park his inside for winter.  ::)
It is my garage, isn't it?  >:(
Maybe I'll pull the battery...can't move without a battery.  ;D

This.

Period.

End of story.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:18 am »
I own by far the cheapest vehicle in the family. What is in the garage? My $1,200 Studebaker.  8)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13715 on: November 19, 2020, 12:28:17 am »
I own by far the cheapest vehicle in the family. What is in the garage? My $1,200 Studebaker.  8)

I'll proudly say my Mrs. Vantage's "shiny new Genesis" (and my daily crap) must sit outside so the "three used cars" can sit inside warm and away from the elements. Hard-locked the garage door for the season...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13716 on: November 19, 2020, 01:19:01 am »
Little unoptimal, but took the SLK out for a drive at night to check the new led bulbs.

It's foggy and snowing, so definitely wasn't optimal....  It was spooky with poor visibility for sure.  Snow reflects bright white lights from LEDs so little glare-y..

But, got it to a flat-ish empty road with fence to adjust the lights, and now I can actually see what's on the side of the road!

Huge improvement in that regard, and front visibility has improved as well.

Made sure the beams pointed downward and check against fences parallel to the road, so it should be ok, glare wise for the oncoming traffic. 

Looks pretty good as well, though it was entirely secondary to improving visibility for me.  The dark spots I noticed in the garage was not a factor at all on the road, which was good.

Only remembered that I only tightened lug bolts with light duty impacts after I got back in the garage.... Good thing I didn't go very far.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13717 on: November 19, 2020, 09:16:49 am »
^^^ The "perks" of DIY. If you screw up you know who did it  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: November 19, 2020, 12:39:40 pm »
^^^ The "perks" of DIY. If you screw up you know who did it  ;D

haha.  would have been super awkward if i lost a wheel out on the street in snow/fog and had to tow the car home less than 3 km.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13719 on: November 20, 2020, 12:13:21 pm »
New winters and steelies installed on the Frontier this morning.  Tires are Hankook I-Pike RW11 and seem to have decent reviews.   Purchased and installed at the local Nissan dealer.  They were about $100 more than the next best price for a similar setup at another local tire place.  The Nissan dealer was the only place that had hub-centric wheels so i went with them.  Costco had nothing available and the staff were useless when trying to inquire about availability.  No experts there for sure.  ::)

I didn't find any great deals but the rebates are a little better now.  Rebate for mine was $100.  Jezus the wheels/tires that came off are heavy! Luckily i could just roll them out of the box onto the ground and from there into the shed.  It was hard for me getting them stacked up.  I might just get someone else to change them in the spring.  :P