Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010354 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13660 on: November 08, 2020, 08:38:49 pm »
Took advantage of very nice weather today and did the tire swap on the Acadia.

I noticed that the front brakes are getting pretty low. I just  replaced the front brake pads and rotors about a year and a half ago (~30k km). Any recommendations on good pads? Thinking of trying Wagner thermo-quiet. These last ones were power stop ceramic and I have no complaints on performance but it would ne nice if they lasted a bit longer. On the plus side the rotors are still in excellent shape so no need to replace those yet.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13661 on: November 08, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »
Took advantage of very nice weather today and did the tire swap on the Acadia.

I noticed that the front brakes are getting pretty low. I just  replaced the front brake pads and rotors about a year and a half ago (~30k km). Any recommendations on good pads? Thinking of trying Wagner thermo-quiet. These last ones were power stop ceramic and I have no complaints on performance but it would ne nice if they lasted a bit longer. On the plus side the rotors are still in excellent shape so no need to replace those yet.

I am a bit biased, but the MotoMaster OEPlus pads from Canadian Tire are honestly one of the better quality pads on the market. They go on sale every few weeks too. I've got them on the DTS and have been very happy with them.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13662 on: November 08, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
Gorgeous weather. Took the XKR out for the last run of the season, but a good ~100km drive with Firm Jr on Saturday morning. Also, I'd gotten my hands on a plate frame from the Jaguar dealer in St. Petersburg that had originally sold the car new, so I finally put it on. I really like it, especially since it's color scheme matches the car.

Damn sun ruined my shot:

Also gave the DTS a good wash:

and a bit of work on the MGA project, but I put that in the S&S.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13663 on: November 08, 2020, 09:14:49 pm »
You mean your fabulous detailing job on the Jag enhanced the sun's rays, which your shot.  ;)

Yes, I have drafted talking points, speeches, and press releases for Ministers and the PM.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:27:52 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13664 on: November 09, 2020, 01:50:25 pm »
Welp, I put my Camaro away in the storage. Gonna be driving my friend's Mazda 6 for the meantime.

I gave his car a wash yesterday, and I also managed to finally use up most of the old gas so I can put some new gas in. Will also put some new wiper blades in as I think the old ones are probably no good after sitting for forever.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13665 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »
That's a pretty sweet winter beater that your friend is letting you borrow.

When you mentioned dead battery (and I assumed a litany of problems, not sure why), I assumed it was an older car, not a brand new one, lol!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13666 on: November 09, 2020, 04:14:50 pm »
Still a gorgeous sedan.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #13667 on: November 09, 2020, 05:12:24 pm »

When you mentioned dead battery (and I assumed a litany of problems, not sure why), I assumed it was an older car, not a brand new one, lol!

that's a pretty sweet friend!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: November 09, 2020, 05:35:19 pm »
Friend with benefits?  And you're not even getting screwed... :think:

???

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13669 on: November 09, 2020, 07:55:19 pm »

Well, he let it sit outside for almost a year and that's why the battery died. Car runs pretty well now, no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Still a gorgeous sedan.

I know! That's why I am taking care of it, I actually like this car a lot as far as a Sedan goes.

that's a pretty sweet friend!

We have known each other for a while and he knows I like cars and take care of them, so that's why he's letting me use it. I was there when he bought the Mazda 6 brand new.

He lamented that his car is sitting and rotting and I initially joked about driving it for him for the winter. Eventually we actually got it to work and put a license plate on his car.

Friend with benefits?  And you're not even getting screwed... :think:

???

He is a dude.

I am way too invested into cars, maybe. Besides, my field doesn't exactly allow me to know a lot of girls.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #13670 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Swapped the tires for both Civic and Forester to winters. I would have done next this weekend, but my BIL is going to bring his car for a swap so I just did it last weekend.
I was in a rush and made a dumb mistake of not checking the rotation direction of the WS80s for the Civic. I only realized it when I was done with the swap and topping up the air that I put ALL of them backwards.   :o

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13671 on: November 10, 2020, 08:29:03 am »
Swapped the tires for both Civic and Forester to winters. I would have done next this weekend, but my BIL is going to bring his car for a swap so I just did it last weekend.
I was in a rush and made a dumb mistake of not checking the rotation direction of the WS80s for the Civic. I only realized it when I was done with the swap and topping up the air that I put ALL of them backwards.   :o

Drive in reverse everywhere.  Problem solved.   ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #13672 on: November 10, 2020, 10:25:32 am »

Drive in reverse everywhere.  Problem solved.   ;D

I definitely thought about that while taking off the first one again.

One more think, one of the tires seems to have a slow leak. It was 12 psi, but it looks okay once I got it back to 33 psi. I'll have to keep an eye on it every time I go out.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13673 on: November 11, 2020, 07:27:18 pm »
A few weeks ago wife went down and back from Toronto and said there was a high pitched scraping sound occasionally coming from the rear of the MDX.  So I had it on the highway a few times and no sound.  Issue over.   Last Friday we had to attend Toronto and not 30 minutes into the trip the sound resurfaced and I had to listen to it most of the trip.  Knew it was the rear brake.  What a :censor: off.  Only 37K km.  Thought the rotor was done and then had thoughts that the caliper would seize on and stop the vehicle.  $$$$

Diverted to my cottage which is closer.  Got it in the building and could not believe it.  Outside pad on rear passenger side, GONE, but disc still in decent shape.  Caliper not seized.  Left it there and commandeered by son new F!50 which I really enjoy driving.  After an insane amount of nonsense at the local Honda Dealer in the OS the next day I acquired a set of Nissin OE rear pads that fit a Honda Odyssey of that same year. $84.  Good to go.

Go to install them and the pads are seized into the assembly.  Consequently, need to disassemble everything.  Vehicle has seen only two winters so all bolts are not a problem.  The pads needed to be hammered out of the caliper which I wrote off to the tremendous amount of salt treated with magnesium chloride used daily in my region.  Snow flake hits a roadway and out comes the salt.   ::)

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-canadas-addiction-to-road-salt-is-ruining-everything  (owen sound specific)

So in go the new pads but can't retract the piston.  :o  OK, crack the bleed screw ... nope. :o  Those iffin electric brakes.  >:(   So the solution is to decouple the motor from the backside of the caliper.  Seems easy right?  2 T25 bolts. Can't get at them enough to apply good pressure.  Then realized Honda LOCKTITED them!  B*STARDS!   

Finally got those bolts out; not very enjoyable and put everything back.  At which time I realized that the calipers had some pretty sloppy casting because I had to grind the new OE pads in order for them to slip in and have some room to move as they are intended to.  I would have caught this issue in a few weeks when I installed the snows.  My son has the identical unit with 33K km and he will be checking the rear pads.  Should be interesting.

Posting a few picks showing the new pad in contrast to the inboard and outboard pads that came out.  Also a pic of the caliper with the electric brake disc interface.  These electric parking brakes are going to screw so many owners when they fail.  I'll call Acura and find out out the price is just for sh*ts and no giggles. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:30:58 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:36 pm »
 :(

Modern cars are no fun to work on for nonsense just like that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: November 11, 2020, 08:12:08 pm »
Tell your wife to stop driving around with the e-brake on!!   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13676 on: November 11, 2020, 08:33:47 pm »
A few weeks ago wife went down and back from Toronto and said there was a high pitched scraping sound occasionally coming from the rear of the MDX.  So I had it on the highway a few times and no sound.  Issue over.   Last Friday we had to attend Toronto and not 30 minutes into the trip the sound resurfaced and I had to listen to it most of the trip.  Knew it was the rear brake.  What a :censor: off.  Only 37K km.  Thought the rotor was done and then had thoughts that the caliper would seize on and stop the vehicle.  $$$$

Diverted to my cottage which is closer.  Got it in the building and could not believe it.  Outside pad on rear passenger side, GONE, but disc still in decent shape.  Caliper not seized.  Left it there and commandeered by son new F!50 which I really enjoy driving.  After an insane amount of nonsense at the local Honda Dealer in the OS the next day I acquired a set of Nissin OE rear pads that fit a Honda Odyssey of that same year. $84.  Good to go.

Go to install them and the pads are seized into the assembly.  Consequently, need to disassemble everything.  Vehicle has seen only two winters so all bolts are not a problem.  The pads needed to be hammered out of the caliper which I wrote off to the tremendous amount of salt treated with magnesium chloride used daily in my region.  Snow flake hits a roadway and out comes the salt.   ::)

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-canadas-addiction-to-road-salt-is-ruining-everything  (owen sound specific)

So in go the new pads but can't retract the piston.  :o  OK, crack the bleed screw ... nope. :o  Those iffin electric brakes.  >:(   So the solution is to decouple the motor from the backside of the caliper.  Seems easy right?  2 T25 bolts. Can't get at them enough to apply good pressure.  Then realized Honda LOCKTITED them!  B*STARDS!   

Finally got those bolts out; not very enjoyable and put everything back.  At which time I realized that the calipers had some pretty sloppy casting because I had to grind the new OE pads in order for them to slip in and have some room to move as they are intended to.  I would have caught this issue in a few weeks when I installed the snows.  My son has the identical unit with 33K km and he will be checking the rear pads.  Should be interesting.

Posting a few picks showing the new pad in contrast to the inboard and outboard pads that came out.  Also a pic of the caliper with the electric brake disc interface.  These electric parking brakes are going to screw so many owners when they fail.  I'll call Acura and find out out the price is just for sh*ts and no giggles. 

It's this sort of bollocking around that makes me just want to pay the man and do something else. Yes it can get costly, but I value my time. Even at 45, I'm too old for that crap.  :rofl2:

Nothing worse than working on rusty undercarriage. Arthur, I don't know how you do it either...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: November 11, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »
Yep, sounds like the pads got seized up in the carrier. Those electric parking brakes are a real pain...Sometimes there's an easy way to put them into 'service mode' so they can be easily retracted (F-150 does this, as an example) but other vehicles you need the dealer/manufacture scan tool, or you've gotta decouple it like you did.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: November 11, 2020, 08:55:30 pm »

It's this sort of bollocking around that makes me just want to pay the man and do something else. Yes it can get costly, but I value my time. Even at 45, I'm too old for that crap.  :rofl2:

I hear ya.

I'm more of a "depends what it is" these days.  Like IQs clutch needs doing.  In years past, I'd have done it.

Just don't feel like crawling around on the floor for a weekend these days.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13679 on: November 11, 2020, 09:13:58 pm »

I hear ya.

I'm more of a "depends what it is" these days.  Like IQs clutch needs doing.  In years past, I'd have done it.

Just don't feel like crawling around on the floor for a weekend these days.   :rofl: :rofl2:

This. Two things spring to mind.

1. I always find something worse than I thought it was, and have to take another car to go and buy more parts and/or tools.

2. Like you said, what is a 45 minute job for someone who has done it before with the right skills and tools, inevitably ends up being a 5 hour job for me, where after I come up for air, totally pissed off with the car and with bleeding knuckles.

Just take my money, I'll work hard at something else to earn it.