Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010960 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13440 on: October 18, 2020, 08:17:34 am »
Oh and took the Morgan to visit my grandpa who had bought the car in the early 70’s... he wanted to go for a ride so bad, but there was 0 chance he could get in or out... he enjoyed looking and reminiscing though (and telling all the people nearby how cool he used to be)

Best part of this post. :cheers:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13441 on: October 18, 2020, 08:22:11 am »
Agree. He bought it in about 74 I think it was... when I was born (his first and only grandson) he made the decision it would be mine on my 16th birthday (much to my female cousins and sisters chagrin, but what an you do!)

He still thinks it’s one of the most classic designs ever and I have to agree it’s pretty timeless. He misses cars in general so much...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13442 on: October 18, 2020, 09:07:19 am »
Thumbs up twoscoops.

I had one of the “juniors” polish the headlights on the Tundra. About 5 minutes worth of work with Mothers Rubbing Compound and the Porter Cable and they look decent again.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13443 on: October 18, 2020, 10:28:15 am »
That Morgan is proper  O0

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13444 on: October 18, 2020, 01:54:27 pm »
Went back to my BIL's to do the Tundra winter tires.  Is it ever easier with a floor jack and impact tools.  Such a PITA to do at home, but took is 30 min in his garage.  Really wish I had a garage.  Unlike the car, all went smooth.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13445 on: October 18, 2020, 02:43:07 pm »
So a few things... FINALLY got the jag deal tied up. So it is now gone gone... the Morgan after its mishap is back in my garage... the pacer is having some issues but at least I have found a mechanic that is willing to take a peek at it for me... oh and I borrowed a car from the dealership for my daughters birthday!

So the Morgan when it had its big issue? Turns out the stalling and glycol all over wasn’t related to the air cleaner being off, or transmission stuff. I fricken ran out of gas while worried about all that other stuff! (Mechanic told me not to feel bad, my gas gauge read nearly a quarter). So rather than thinking I needed a new tranny and possibly an engine, I needed some gas, a new air cleaner, and a simple part in the shifter linkage. Bam! Since I earmarked a certain amount of cash for the fix, I know have car money I can spend on the pacer without feeling like I’m spending savings or anything...

Oh, and my daughter loved her “gift”. I told her I got her a new car for her 6th birthday so she ran out to see a mclaren 600LT. Really just an excuse to drive it home. While I like to think I’m a car guy, as a daily driver or not on a track? Just a useless machine. Anyone buying that to just drive around is crazy.

Oh and took the Morgan to visit my grandpa who had bought the car in the early 70’s... he wanted to go for a ride so bad, but there was 0 chance he could get in or out... he enjoyed looking and reminiscing though (and telling all the people nearby how cool he used to be)

Very cool! Your grandpa might find the Morgan factory tour photos interesting: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=99792.msg1310532#msg1310532

They are very cool cars still!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13446 on: October 18, 2020, 05:52:04 pm »
New wipers, air filter, cabin filter
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13447 on: October 18, 2020, 06:18:21 pm »
I borrowed a car from the dealership for my daughters birthday!

Oh, and my daughter loved her “gift”. I told her I got her a new car for her 6th birthday so she ran out to see a mclaren 600LT. Really just an excuse to drive it home. While I like to think I’m a car guy, as a daily driver or not on a track? Just a useless machine. Anyone buying that to just drive around is crazy.

You win World's Greatest Dad and Grandson of the day!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:34:18 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13448 on: October 18, 2020, 11:39:37 pm »
Agree. He bought it in about 74 I think it was... when I was born (his first and only grandson) he made the decision it would be mine on my 16th birthday (much to my female cousins and sisters chagrin, but what an you do!)

He still thinks it’s one of the most classic designs ever and I have to agree it’s pretty timeless. He misses cars in general so much...

This is brilliant, dude. Well done!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13449 on: October 19, 2020, 08:06:19 am »
Nice work tooscoops, GBA & junior bridgecity  :thumbup: :thumbup:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13450 on: October 19, 2020, 01:17:29 pm »

Tried PlastiDip for the first time... these alloys have been my winters for 10 years. Actually look to have held up surprisingly well once I gave them a good clean, but decided I wanted a different look to go with the new, grey S4.

Pretty please with the results so far - getting the wheels clean and lots of light coats seems to be the trick, but will wait and see how well it lasts. Would like to get a few years from them, would be a pain if I need to touch up or redo every season...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13451 on: October 19, 2020, 01:40:25 pm »
Looks good!

As it suddenly turned into mid November here, sorted winter tires, oil changes, etc on the weekend. The CRV has nice center points for a jack, helpfully indicated with an arrow on the undercarriage:

Also sorted out what I thought was a broken block heater, turned out to be just unplugged, not suprising as the connector is right beside the oil filter:

When I took the RX in for service I asked if they could find the block heater and they said they hadn't installed any since 2017. Will see if that works if we get a couple weeks of -40 again like we did last year

On the Vibe changed out the drive belt as it had been ten years, a much easier job than it was the first time thanks to some helpful youtube tips:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13452 on: October 19, 2020, 01:45:51 pm »
In talks with a TO dealer to buy an XFR. Will see if we can get close enough where I feel happy. Good thing my GM is helping me out, he has clout.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13453 on: October 19, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »
In talks with a TO dealer to buy an XFR. Will see if we can get close enough where I feel happy. Good thing my GM is helping me out, he has clout.

:popcorn:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #13454 on: October 19, 2020, 02:25:56 pm »
Good luck man.  You deserve a bit of happy in your life and I think an XFR could give that to you.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13455 on: October 19, 2020, 02:44:01 pm »
Not my car, but I am looking to drive my friend's Mazda 6 that has been sitting for a year as a winter car.

Battery is so dead that it read 6V with a voltmeter. I left it on a charger last night and we will see how that goes. I will also check the water level as the caps are removable.

As for my own car, I put on some LED reverse bulbs as the halogen ones are pretty much useless in dark areas. Had to attach a small resistor to combat the current leakage issue. So far, no problems.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13456 on: October 19, 2020, 02:45:21 pm »
Not my car, but I am looking to drive my friend's Mazda 6 that has been sitting for a year as a winter car.

Battery is so dead that it read 6V with a voltmeter. I left it on a charger last night and we will see how that goes. I will also check the water level as the caps are removable.

I think that battery is gonzo.  You'll never revive it.  Time for a new one.  Shouldn't be more than $100, though. 

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #13457 on: October 19, 2020, 02:48:24 pm »

I think that battery is gonzo.  You'll never revive it.  Time for a new one.  Shouldn't be more than $100, though.

Well, I don't have high hopes, but it doesn't hurt to at least give it a shot. The desulphation mode did kick in on the charger in the beginning.

Have seen people revive 12V batteries reading as low as 4.5V with a charger. Some of them were reading so low that the charger recognized the 12V battery as a 6V battery.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13458 on: October 19, 2020, 03:22:41 pm »
Good luck man.  You deserve a bit of happy in your life and I think an XFR could give that to you.
After a lot of back and forth over the past few days, only now am I being told the car sold mid last week. I was ready to make an offer.

:censor: my life. All sales departments are the same :censor:.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13459 on: October 19, 2020, 03:30:41 pm »
After a lot of back and forth over the past few days, only now am I being told the car sold mid last week. I was ready to make an offer.

:censor: my life. All sales departments are the same :censor:.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: