Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011060 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13400 on: October 16, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »
Truck is fixed.  Had alternator rebuilt at local shop (Astro), $245 and ready in 24 hours or so.

Threw in a new tensioner as bearing in the old one sounded dry.  New belt too.
Hardest part was connecting cable to the alternator, could have made it a bit longer there Datsun
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13401 on: October 16, 2020, 03:38:03 pm »
Changed the brakes on Mrs. Railtons Infiniti today. Man, SUV's are tall fackers - had to use the Infiniti scissors jack and interlock to get the damn thing up in the air high enough to take a wheel off. My Floor jack would not lift it high enough.
Man, a lift would be nice.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13402 on: October 16, 2020, 03:48:41 pm »
^how low is your floorjack? Mine never had an issue lifting any of the SUV's I've had (Wrangler, JGC & now the Passport).

Good work though, weather looks decent down there as well... much nicer than the crap we have had here today.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: October 16, 2020, 03:54:47 pm »
I add a bit of wood between the car and the jack. A nice small, solid, square piece to get the extra height.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13404 on: October 16, 2020, 04:10:36 pm »
^how low is your floorjack? Mine never had an issue lifting any of the SUV's I've had (Wrangler, JGC & now the Passport).

Good work though, weather looks decent down there as well... much nicer than the crap we have had here today.
It's one of those Michelin 2 Ton units like this one. Not enough throw with it. Works fine for the G though as its lower to the ground.
Railton
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/michelin-2-ton-trolley-jack-0090006p.html

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13405 on: October 16, 2020, 04:11:48 pm »
For an SUV to work with a typical floorjack you've usually gotta lift it by the suspension/control arm rather than using the jack points as Railton is doing. If the suspension can't hang down most jacks have plenty of lift. 

Good work regardless! Does that Infinity have the electronic parking brake? Can't tell from the photos.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: October 16, 2020, 04:23:01 pm »
For an SUV to work with a typical floorjack you've usually gotta lift it by the suspension/control arm rather than using the jack points as Railton is doing. If the suspension can't hang down most jacks have plenty of lift. 

Good work regardless! Does that Infinity have the electronic parking brake? Can't tell from the photos.
Yeah, but I found it difficult to get at the control arm working from the side with the tire on. That’s why I always use the jack lift points instead.
Railton
Here’s the Jack below.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13407 on: October 16, 2020, 04:30:31 pm »
I went jack shopping years ago, when I had the lowered Civic and the Xterra. Was tough to find one jack that would work for both, but I found a Michelin 3-ton at CT that did the job.

Kind of like this Motomaster unit they sell now. Goes from 3 1/4" to 24". https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-heavy-duty-low-profile-long-reach-garage-jack-3-ton-0090244p.html

Mine is also steel and weighs a ton, which is a PITA. You can get aluminum jacks that do the same thing, but are lighter, but they're also usually $$$. And if you don't need the super-low clearance, that opens up your options considerably.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13408 on: October 16, 2020, 04:32:19 pm »

Yeah, but I found it difficult to get at the control arm working from the side with the tire on. That’s why I always use the jack lift points instead.
Railton
Here’s the Jack below.

Hi, Jack!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13409 on: October 16, 2020, 04:36:28 pm »
The old steel floor jacks were always built like tanks and had huge lifts but they wouldn't fit under low sung cars.  About 15 years ago for $100 in KW at Princess Auto I bought their PowerFist brand aluminum 2 1/2 ton, dual piston refillable, and it has seen a huge amount of work as my son was repairing and selling cars continually for a good while.  Never know what your getting.  It's probably my best tool purchase.  Should have bought two.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13410 on: October 16, 2020, 04:42:33 pm »

Railton
Here’s the Jack below.

I've got the same jack Railton, but it may be bigger.  Michelin brand anyway.  I think its a 21" lift.  No issues with my truck or MDX.  I should mention that with my truck I lift from the control arm on the front and the diff pumpkin on the back.  With the MDX I place on the center front and rear lift points.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:45:11 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: October 16, 2020, 04:47:37 pm »

Railton
Here’s the Jack below.

I've got the same jack Railton, but it may be bigger.  Michelin brand anyway.  I think its a 21" lift.  No issues with my truck or MDX.  I should mention that with my truck I lift from the control arm on the front and the diff pumpkin on the back.  With the MDX I place on the center front and rear lift points.
Yes, they make a 3.5 Ton unit as well - maybe that's what you have.
Railton

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #13412 on: October 16, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »
I have this one from CT:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-hybrid-aluminum-steel-garage-jack-3-ton-0091036p.html#srp

It barely fits under my lowered civic and has enough lift to get the Acadia's tires off the ground using the jack points on the side. Doesn't have quite enough if I use the trailer hitch to get both rear tires up at the same time, need a couple of 2x4s for that.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: October 16, 2020, 07:22:27 pm »
Does that Infinity have the electronic parking brake? Can't tell from the photos.
No, thank god. I would need a special tool/scanner tool to have the system release the brakes if it did.
Railton

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: October 16, 2020, 07:30:36 pm »
The old steel floor jacks were always built like tanks and had huge lifts but they wouldn't fit under low sung cars.  About 15 years ago for $100 in KW at Princess Auto I bought their PowerFist brand aluminum 2 1/2 ton, dual piston refillable, and it has seen a huge amount of work as my son was repairing and selling cars continually for a good while.  Never know what your getting.  It's probably my best tool purchase.  Should have bought two.

Yep...I have American Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) low profile jack.

Has been bullet proof so far.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-rapid-pump-floor-jack-64264.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:33:57 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13415 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:57 pm »
Does that Infinity have the electronic parking brake? Can't tell from the photos.
No, thank god. I would need a special tool/scanner tool to have the system release the brakes if it did.
Railton

Yeah, that's why I asked. I've dealt with a couple now and it's a PITA in some cars.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #13416 on: October 16, 2020, 09:47:20 pm »
Railton
You can just pull off the actuator and push the piston back. On FCA vehicles, you can use the Uconnect and use the 'service brakes' mode. Don't know why other makes can't do that.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13417 on: October 17, 2020, 09:33:06 am »

Railton
Here’s the Jack below.

Yes, they make a 3.5 Ton unit as well - maybe that's what you have.
Railton

That's the one I have, great for SUV's, could barely get it under the C63. Gets an SUV way up in the air though. It is really frickin' heavy to even pull around. I had to ask someone in the parking lot for help getting it in the car when I bought it.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13418 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:58 am »

That's the one I have, great for SUV's, could barely get it under the C63. Gets an SUV way up in the air though. It is really frickin' heavy to even pull around. I had to ask someone in the parking lot for help getting it in the car when I bought it.  :rofl2:

Not only can it lift 3.5 tons, the jack actually weighs 3.5 tons.   :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13419 on: October 17, 2020, 12:22:18 pm »
Bought a battery charger/maintainer for the SLK (for storage) a while back when it was on sale, got around to wiring in the leads today so I can just use the quick connect.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk