Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011137 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13380 on: October 13, 2020, 11:05:39 am »
bought some PP Ultra oil (on sale at CT), Delco filter, and Denso spark plugs for the Lexus. Got winter tires out of storage, and booked a Krown appt for next week. Getting ready for winter.

Looks like I might be driving it for the winter, as so far the Jag purchase has stalled. Maybe spring...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: October 13, 2020, 11:06:57 am »
bought some PP Ultra oil (on sale at CT), Delco filter, and Denso spark plugs for the Lexus. Got winter tires out of storage, and booked a Krown appt for next week. Getting ready for winter.

Looks like I might be driving it for the winter, as so far the Jag purchase has stalled. Maybe spring...
Spark plugs on that car are a PITA....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: October 13, 2020, 11:14:12 am »

I can see that, the TB and half the intake needs to come off ffs. Well, they are about due so need to be done. Not getting any misfires or codes etc. so I think the coils and wires are still good. Tech friend will earn his cash and beer this time.

Still have like 50k till timing belt, thankfully.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: October 13, 2020, 11:16:39 am »

I can see that, the TB and half the intake needs to come off ffs. Well, they are about due so need to be done. Not getting any misfires or codes etc. so I think the coils and wires are still good. Tech friend will earn his cash and beer this time.

I have a DIY on PDF kicking around somewhere if you want it...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: October 13, 2020, 11:23:10 am »

I am going to check out AllData here

Edit: AllData is useless for spark plugs. Pdf would be appreciated if you can find it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:33:22 am by ChaosphereIX »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: October 13, 2020, 03:48:27 pm »

I am going to check out AllData here

Edit: AllData is useless for spark plugs. Pdf would be appreciated if you can find it.
PM me your email addy

EDIT. I believe this is the same PDF I have:  https://www.my.is/threads/is300-changing-the-spark-plugs.340989/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:50:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13386 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:35 pm »

Make sure the plugs are genuine. Lots of stories of ppl buying them off ebay/amazon and they burn out in a matter of weeks.
I was lucky with rockauto but my mechanic took a very long look at them before pulling up the manifold.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: October 13, 2020, 04:59:13 pm »

Make sure the plugs are genuine. Lots of stories of ppl buying them off ebay/amazon and they burn out in a matter of weeks.
I was lucky with rockauto but my mechanic took a very long look at them before pulling up the manifold.
Rockauto here, will check them over. dunno what I am looking for though other than matching some numbers

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:09 pm »

Rockauto here, will check them over. dunno what I am looking for though other than matching some numbers

In case of NGK they use a special proprietary font which counterfeiters did not yet manage to copy, For Denso just search youtube for "fake denso plugs"

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13389 on: October 13, 2020, 10:01:10 pm »
When we got home after 5 weeks away the truck wouldn't start, battery was dead.  Charged it and it still would barely turn over once, changed battery, same.
Finally figured out the alternator was seized.  Removed belt and got it in the garage. (of course it blocked the driveway for almost 2 days and we couldn't get the trailer in the backyard to unload it)

What a PITA to remove the alternator, gonna be even more fun putting in a new one.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: October 13, 2020, 10:12:58 pm »
Interesting. My Mustang started itself. Luckily it was on the street when doing brakes on the Mazda 3. It has a remote start that has an off switch. Good thing it was not in the garage at night!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13391 on: October 13, 2020, 11:16:18 pm »
Interesting. My Mustang started itself. Luckily it was on the street when doing brakes on the Mazda 3. It has a remote start that has an off switch. Good thing it was not in the garage at night!

I had this issue with the Escalade when we got it. It came with some weird brand (Titan...apparently only available in Alberta) brand remote starter and two remotes. Truck randomly started itself while in the driveway a couple times, once at like 2am and a neighbor noticed and came banging on our door...
Anyway, I investigated and learned that the remote start system had 'slots' for four remotes...Since we had two remotes programed, there were two 'empty slots' because of that the system was 'open' and susceptible to interference from other signals like garage door openers or whatever. So I programmed both remotes twice, filling all the 'slots', and never had anymore issues.

Eventually, the two remotes we had got pretty beat up and were failing, replacements were unobtanium, so I found a well-reviewed car electronics place and had them swap the old system out for a modern Compustar system.....Nicer remotes, better range and peace of mind. Money well spent at the end of the day.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: October 13, 2020, 11:46:29 pm »
Interesting. Could have been that. I have no remotes so plan is to disable it.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: October 14, 2020, 06:52:32 pm »
LMAO...my oldest just sent some pics of his Smart car...he was driving it up the ramps on the front of his low bed...and it puked.  He's got pictures of what looks like an oil cooler - or it might be the radiator, and a bunch of other pieces, lying on the ground underneath where the car went.  The Gremlins must've decided they'd had enough.  :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: October 15, 2020, 03:35:22 pm »
Not exciting in the least, but bought a like new Clippercreek PCS-15 charger for the Prime for my "charging station" at work.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13395 on: October 15, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
Replaced the headlight in the Lexus. Amazon bulb didnt last long, might be due to housing not being sealed properly or something. Needs a refresh (have Mguires Kit) anyways.

I hate replacing headlights, so finnicky and my hands are way too big to fit in those tiny spaces...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: October 15, 2020, 03:54:18 pm »
Not exciting in the least, but bought a like new Clippercreek PCS-15 charger for the Prime for my "charging station" at work.

It wouldn't be exciting if it wasn't for the quotation marks  ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13397 on: October 15, 2020, 05:26:37 pm »
Usual end of season oil change and wash on the Mustang.  Still need to replace the antifreeze (been 5 1/2 years).  Looking like a real PIA.  Certainly not like the olden days when there was a ton of room to pull hoses, etc.  No wonder ppl neglect coolant changes today.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: October 15, 2020, 11:40:04 pm »
Change coolant?  Hmmm... :-\ :-X

I applied the third...or maybe 4th, coat of polish/wax on the Fusion.  Figured I have a few different varieties...let's try them all!  Should probably gain at least a l/100 as slippery as it is now.  Right?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13399 on: October 16, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
Put new front stuts on the DTS....Light work using the shop/lifts/air tools in the training shop at work. 30 minutes flat per side. OE units had 145K on them and were getting a bit soft, noticable improvement in handling, so I don't feel too bad about throwing some money at it.