Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011187 times)

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13300 on: September 30, 2020, 10:58:41 am »
I really like Enkei wheels, Mango. Strong, reasonably light, great designs and fair cost. I like the choice!

A shout out to Canadian company Fast Wheels too! Like their stuff also.

I got some Superspeed wheels (Canadian Company) for our sportwagen and was really impressed with them. Just wanted some light 17" rims at a good price.( LPCast SS03.)  They have some nice lightweight rims.
https://www.super-speed.ca/

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13301 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »
Well, that wasn’t a huge success. Everything looked pretty good until I went to put the bumper back on and scraped a few spots down to the primer. Guess I didn’t let the paint set up enough before putting on the clear coat. ???

I think that’s why it rusted in the first place. Bumper doesn’t fit great and rubs up against the paint on the fender. And there’s just enough of a gap to let sand and grit get stuck in there and grind away at the paint as well.

Oh, well. Looks better than it did, but I might be doing this all over again in a couple of years.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: September 30, 2020, 06:12:28 pm »
Meh..it's not so bad.

I still give it a B+ for a first time crack at it.

Still good work IMO.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: September 30, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
It’s actually my second time.  ;D

Had an old Pathfinder that rotted out. I got after the bigger holes with fiberglass filler, then painted the whole thing with a gallon of marine enamel slathered on with a roller. Looked pretty good, IMO, but was black so easier to match up the paint.

Got quite a few years out of it until the rust got to the frame. Had the front A-arm come undone on the highway, which was interesting. Mechanic tried to weld the mount back on, but there wasn’t much left to weld onto.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13304 on: October 01, 2020, 04:01:29 pm »
That looks pretty good HeliD.

Not me, but my parents bought e90 series Bimmer 328 with 300k km on it... For 500bucks.   

It runs but apparently needs head gasket. It would be pain to deal with timing with vanos on this thing...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13305 on: October 01, 2020, 04:15:13 pm »
Well, that wasn’t a huge success. Everything looked pretty good until I went to put the bumper back on and scraped a few spots down to the primer. Guess I didn’t let the paint set up enough before putting on the clear coat. ???

I think that’s why it rusted in the first place. Bumper doesn’t fit great and rubs up against the paint on the fender. And there’s just enough of a gap to let sand and grit get stuck in there and grind away at the paint as well.

Oh, well. Looks better than it did, but I might be doing this all over again in a couple of years.

I should be doing this with my Tundra.  Rear fenders are looking pretty crappy in the wheel openings.  The thing that irritates me is that I've struggled to find another Tundra with rotting rear fenders, so why mine?

Both my father in law and brother in law are more than capable to repair these and give my truck a repaint, but it always comes down to time.  They do this stuff for a living so the last thing I want to do is bother them to paint my truck.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13306 on: October 01, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »

I should be doing this with my Tundra.  Rear fenders are looking pretty crappy in the wheel openings.  The thing that irritates me is that I've struggled to find another Tundra with rotting rear fenders, so why mine?

Both my father in law and brother in law are more than capable to repair these and give my truck a repaint, but it always comes down to time.  They do this stuff for a living so the last thing I want to do is bother them to paint my truck.

I always look closely at older Tundras, because I want to have an idea of what mine will look like in 10-12 years.  Most of the Tundras I see are in great shape, with no rust around the wheelwells or the rockers.  I will very occasionally see one here or there with some rust.  What causes 1 out of, say, 10 to rust, I have no idea. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13307 on: October 01, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
Heli, I actually think that looks pretty good, all things considered. If the paint match was better (it definitely seems darker) it would be a lot less noticeable. As for the gap with the bumper, get an aerosol can of oil based rust proofing (I like 'Rust Cure 3000', but the Rust Check branded stuff is fine too) and using that little red straw that comes with the can shoot some into the seem between the bumper and the fender. That'll keep the rust away.

I do this a few times a year on our daily drivers.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: October 01, 2020, 04:39:29 pm »
Yeah, thanks. it actually looks fine and I'm more than happy with it. Don't even notice it if you're not looking for it. Touched up those little spots where primer was showing, so that's ok now too. It seems like the clear coat made the new paint darker. It matched up pretty good before I sprayed that on.

And I already bought a can of the Rust Check stuff. Was more to spray in behind the panels to keep the bolts from rusting (sheared off a couple trying to remove the bumper mounts) but thanks for the tip of spraying some in that bumper seam as well. Think I'll let the paint harden up for a few weeks before I do that, though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: October 01, 2020, 05:43:21 pm »

Make it invisible with some nice, relatively cheap plastic fender overflares.   ;D

Out of sight, out of mind?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:46:16 pm by rrocket »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13310 on: October 01, 2020, 05:48:42 pm »

That looks way more than acceptable, nice work!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13311 on: October 01, 2020, 10:59:45 pm »
hahaha - doing my part to rid Canada of the steelie scourge!

Agreed. Gotta have good looking Winters IMHO.

Replikas ?

I think so.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13312 on: October 01, 2020, 11:06:18 pm »

Make it invisible with some nice, relatively cheap plastic fender overflares.   ;D

Out of sight, out of mind?

It’s crossed my mind. The OEM style ones actually look decent.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13313 on: October 01, 2020, 11:44:33 pm »
There won't be a Show & Shine till the spring, but Mrs. Vantage now has a V8, RWD, naturally aspirated manual transmission European car as a summer toy. It's been passed down from a relative, the original owner.  8)

Time to get wrenchin' over the winter! We plan to autocross/track it next summer.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: October 01, 2020, 11:47:21 pm »
Cool!!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13315 on: October 01, 2020, 11:48:24 pm »
Guess it'll keep us busy and our minds off the fact that COVID has put our wedding on hold indefinitely.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: October 01, 2020, 11:49:25 pm »
Guess it'll keep us busy and our minds off the fact that COVID has put our wedding on hold indefinitely.

Everyone here knows a new car is more exciting than a wedding, man!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13317 on: October 02, 2020, 06:54:11 am »
E90 3 Series? Another Aston Vantage? Porsche 928? Did an XK come with a stick? Maserati 4200? Old TVR? Cant think of too many more...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13318 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:12 am »
E90 3 Series? Another Aston Vantage? Porsche 928? Did an XK come with a stick? Maserati 4200? Old TVR? Cant think of too many more...

Lotus Esprit? BMW 5-Series or M5?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13319 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:56 am »
Quattroporte?