Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011300 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13200 on: September 15, 2020, 04:35:21 pm »
I am pretty sure the XFR uses the same SC 5.0L as my XKR, despite the 510 horsepower rating, I haven't found it that bad on gas. Think my ownership average right now is sitting at 13.3L/100km, and that's mostly local driving with a handful short highway/backroad trips. I suspect I could get it into the 11's if I tried and did more highway with it. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13201 on: September 15, 2020, 04:48:28 pm »
Sounds intriguing, how would the fuel economy be though??

Not great, but not too much worse than the IS300, honestly. I drive my cars hard, as you know, so fuel economy will actually be closer for the two than one might guess.

IS300 already gets about 10-12/100km at best...usually more like 14 because of my driving. And it takes premium already. So the Jag? Will also be bad, but I am used to that.

I am pretty sure the XFR uses the same SC 5.0L as my XKR, despite the 510 horsepower rating, I haven't found it that bad on gas. Think my ownership average right now is sitting at 13.3L/100km, and that's mostly local driving with a handful short highway/backroad trips. I suspect I could get it into the 11's if I tried and did more highway with it. 

Pfft, Rookies. ;) ;D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:50:34 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13202 on: September 15, 2020, 06:02:27 pm »

That's not bad at all.  The Mustang GT I was driving last week averaged about the same (low 13s) with mixed... well, okay, plenty of heavy-footed.. driving.  The Challenger 392 being compared to it did not fare so well -- in the 17s.  Yowsa!!!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13203 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:54 pm »
Was that the bright red manual GT? I had that one a month or so ago and did 12.8L/100km in it, with a decent amount of highway, so pretty comparable to the Jag IMO.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13204 on: September 15, 2020, 09:52:45 pm »
yeah it is basically the same engine I think, so thanks for the additional info - and the 2011 apparently is a good year for the coolant hoses around the sc being metal rather than later ones being plastic

learning a lot from the techs at the shop
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #13205 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:58 am »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: September 16, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
How about another Alfa instead?  :)
https://jalopnik.com/at-8-500-would-you-be-all-over-this-1991-alfa-romeo-1-1845061876
That is gorgeous, but not a daily vehicle. Also, it does not satisfy the two bucket-list criteria that the Jag does: a vehicle over 500hp and a vehicle with a V8.

Dont get me wrong, would love to have a 164 with that glorious Busso...but if I was to get another Alfa, and I will eventually, it will be a Bertone Alfa GT 3.2.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #13207 on: September 16, 2020, 12:07:17 pm »
 :thumbup:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13208 on: September 16, 2020, 12:16:02 pm »
Think a Jag is a great idea if you are working in that shop, good chance to get to know the merch and they'd appreciate you rolling up in one of their own

And a perfect opportunity for you with the support it sounds like you'd get

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13209 on: September 17, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »
Took the cover off the 951 and took it for a good little spin, the car hasn't moved since I dropped by Tortoise's place a couple of weeks ago and needed it's legs stretched!! Car ran great, no issues, noises or flaws... been driving the SLK so much that it felt weird back in the 951, it felt like I was sitting higher (but in fact you sit lower in the 951) because the belt line is so low as is the dash. Gonna miss the darn thing when it goes, as it just has this cool analog feel to it that can't be described.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: September 17, 2020, 03:41:25 pm »
Took the cover off the 951 and took it for a good little spin, the car hasn't moved since I dropped by Tortoise's place a couple of weeks ago and needed it's legs stretched!! Car ran great, no issues, noises or flaws... been driving the SLK so much that it felt weird back in the 951, it felt like I was sitting higher (but in fact you sit lower in the 951) because the belt line is so low as is the dash. Gonna miss the darn thing when it goes, as it just has this cool analog feel to it that can't be described.
Sad to see it go, a great chariot over the years for you. Happy I got a chance to take it for a spin  :drive:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: September 19, 2020, 06:05:41 pm »

Replaced a leaky oil pressure sender on the son's Fiero. One of the exhaust shield bolts was not connected. Fixed that. Hopefully cures the occasional exhaust rattle.

Got some Kijij rims and tires to replace some worn out rubber on the other boy's car (Mazda 3) last week. I let him do the swap over since I am supposed to take it easy since the shoulder break. Seems that previous owner put 3 lug nuts that were 12x1.25 on the rims and two 12x1.5 (correct). He drove it a bunch with a nasty vibration. Here why you shouldn't. I'd say this rim is garage now.

Three bolt just like a French car!

My first wheel stub replacement job. Stud in freezer for a couple hours, disposable nut plus a bunch of washers to seat it. Gave car all new nuts all around for piece of mind.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: September 19, 2020, 10:06:59 pm »
Ugh, I hate broken wheel studs...

Today...I actually drove the Camaro! First time this year. There's a lot to be said for simple cars with almost no electronics...car sits for a year, fires up and drives just the same as it always has. Got it on the highway for a bit, cruised around, and stuck it back inside. Need more parking at home so I can enjoy this more...

Headliner I replaced earlier this year has the interior feeling good again, and the body is still looking pretty for original 320K paint. A few sections of the silver lower body stripe peeled, you can kinda see a bit in the photo - easy enough fix to get some from CT and replace sometime. 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #13213 on: September 20, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »
Well, this was yesterday... the CX-5 hasn't been given much love for a while, so it got a good cleaning and some shine added.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13214 on: September 20, 2020, 10:37:31 pm »
The old CRV though looks like it was dipped in glass, with the added  benefit of darkening up all the black plastic bits:

Very impressed with it so far, will see how it holds up

Wow, amazing results!  I think it's time i try that stuff for myself.  With three vehicles to do now I am getting really tired of the traditional multi-step process of sealant/wax and all the rubbing that entails.  Last time I did all three cars my arm was sore for days afterward, not to mention wasting an entire day.  Thanks for posting!  :thumbup:

Picked up some hybrid ceramic spray coating a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to doing all three vehicles.  The local CTC only had Mother's CMX in stock but i assume they are all very similar.  Really impressed with the results, especially since application was so easy.  It's the first time i've detailed the paint on the Frontier since I bought it March and it looked fantastic afterward.   We finally got a good rain on Friday  and the bead action on the Frontier was quite impressive.  In the garage I did the Z3M Thursday night and the Lexus Friday while it rained and they both turned out really well.  Be interesting to see how well it will hold up over time.  The bottle is a decent size as well at 24oz and I used much less than half of it for the three cars so that is also impressive for ~$25/bottle.  Pics never seem to do justice though.

Haven't driven either the Lexus or the Z3M much this summer as we've been busy boating for the first time in years, and also been doing lots of hiking with the new dog, so the Frontier has been doing most of the duty the last few months.  We had a dog sitter this weekend so the wife and I took advantage of that and took off on a couple of good road trips. 

Saturday we took the Lexus on a trip to Annapolis Valley in NS and back the same day for a total of just under 1000km.  We wanted to stay the weekend but every place in the area was booked.  Never seen the area so busy before and traffic was crazy.  We got delayed for over and hour in a traffic jam on the way home, so I am really glad i took the Lexus.  The GS-350 is an excellent highway cruiser and the excellent 18-way seats really come into play for those long drives.  We were tired when we got home but never were we uncomfortable. 

Today we took the Z3M for a 240km romp through some back roads and stopped for a picnic at a nice area beside a stream along the way.  Didn't start out very well though.  Not long after setting out I drove through one short section of road that was recently chip-sealed and still had lots of gravel laying around.  I picked up a rock in the rear driver's side brake area and the scraping noise was unbearable.  Pulled into a nearby parking lot to look around but couldn't find the source and it wouldn't dislodge.  I was about to turn around and go home but figured I'd try a good backup run first and that did the trick so we continued on our way.  Nice to get some quality wheel time in the roadster again.   :skid:

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #13215 on: September 20, 2020, 10:54:21 pm »

Replaced a leaky oil pressure sender on the son's Fiero. One of the exhaust shield bolts was not connected. Fixed that. Hopefully cures the occasional exhaust rattle.

Got some Kijij rims and tires to replace some worn out rubber on the other boy's car (Mazda 3) last week. I let him do the swap over since I am supposed to take it easy since the shoulder break. Seems that previous owner put 3 lug nuts that were 12x1.25 on the rims and two 12x1.5 (correct). He drove it a bunch with a nasty vibration. Here why you shouldn't. I'd say this rim is garage now.

Three bolt just like a French car!

My first wheel stub replacement job. Stud in freezer for a couple hours, disposable nut plus a bunch of washers to seat it. Gave car all new nuts all around for piece of mind.
That rim can be repaired. Wheel repair shops can put a collar in the damaged holes.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: September 21, 2020, 12:03:43 am »
Thanks - I will look into that as it would be nice to save the rim.  8)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
I had to take my truck to the dealer yesterday to get a recall check.  I had already performed the recall myself (switching a couple of wires on the front turn signal harnesses to make the turn signals brighter), but Toyota still wanted to see the truck so they could confirm that it didn't need the recall performed and close the file on it.  I show up at my scheduled time, and the service advisor says that I'm overdue for my last service, and if I want to get it done now?  I felt a little awkward telling him it has already been done (I actually went above and beyond...Service 1 is merely an inspection, and I had a full oil/lube/filter performed).  He looked at me and said 'not here?'  'Not here'.  He didn't say anything further, although when I got the receipt/work order back after they checked the truck, he had marked it down on there that the service was performed elsewhere. 

I mean, for crying out loud, I wouldn't have a problem going to the dealership for service, but they've priced themselves out of my business.  $200 for a basic synthetic oil change?  They even charge an additional $30 on top of that to lube the driveshaft u-joint up front, something that literally takes 30s with a grease gun.  $75 for an inspection every 6 months, where nothing actually gets done, the truck just gets looked at? 

Somehow I feel like that's worse than what the high end germans charge.  Actually, I just checked the local MB dealer website, and looked up the service cost for a GLE550 (with a 4.7L V8 to make it a fair comparison to my truck).  Their 'A Service', which is just an inspection, is $650.00!!!!!!!   Their 'B Service' which includes an oil change as well as an inspection is $950!!!!

WTF????  Some of their other services are a little more reasonable.  A four wheel alignment is $189.00.  That doesn't seem too bad. 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:09:17 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:25 am »
you should see what Jag charges for some regular services...  :o

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:47 am »
you should see what Jag charges for some regular services...  :o

Rip-Off artists!!!  I feel a little better about Toyota's prices now, after seeing the MB prices.

Maybe I'm just not the target market for a high end luxury vehicle (duh, ya think?)