Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011359 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13180 on: September 04, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »
If they mounted/placed it somewhere where it got sunlight (not shade) at least a few hours of the day I think it'd do the job. If the battery starts out charged it doesn't take much input to keep it topped up...but if it's already dead/depleted a solar charger isn't going to do it.

I'm going to put it on a charger tomorrow.  So, with the car parked in the shade, a solar panel wouldn't be enough to keep the battery topped up?

Tough to say...Most of those canopies get a fair bit of sun depending on the time of day, so it would probably do the trick. Also, I don't know what the car is, but the newer/fancier it is, the larger the 'parked' drain on the battery would be. If it's a fairly simple car, I suspect the solar panel would work fine for them.

2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Smart Electric said it is a crap car , you shouldn’t let your parents drive it , it is a time bomb ready to go off   :o ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13181 on: September 04, 2020, 05:17:06 pm »
If they mounted/placed it somewhere where it got sunlight (not shade) at least a few hours of the day I think it'd do the job. If the battery starts out charged it doesn't take much input to keep it topped up...but if it's already dead/depleted a solar charger isn't going to do it.

I'm going to put it on a charger tomorrow.  So, with the car parked in the shade, a solar panel wouldn't be enough to keep the battery topped up?

Tough to say...Most of those canopies get a fair bit of sun depending on the time of day, so it would probably do the trick. Also, I don't know what the car is, but the newer/fancier it is, the larger the 'parked' drain on the battery would be. If it's a fairly simple car, I suspect the solar panel would work fine for them.

2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Smart Electric said it is a crap car , you shouldn’t let your parents drive it , it is a time bomb ready to go off   :o ;D

I should take it off their hands before they put 40,000 km on it.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13182 on: September 09, 2020, 10:18:51 am »
Gave the Vibe a couple coats of that Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray, glossed up it's old paint nicely

Used the Mothers speed clay bar 2.0 (artificial type) first this time. While it did smooth the paint to the touch, it doesn't look obviously better than the Honda, it did leave some fine scratches. Instructions say soapy water is enough for lubrication, but it did not appear to be so

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13183 on: September 09, 2020, 10:26:17 am »
That Vibe still looks damn good.  Great cars!!!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13184 on: September 09, 2020, 10:46:51 am »
That Vibe still looks damn good.  Great cars!!!

I agree.  Love that colour.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13185 on: September 09, 2020, 11:31:26 am »
It's been a good car, mostly trouble free. Great for hauling stuff with the fold forward passenger seat. Getting pretty old now and was thinking of selling it as we got the RX, but it's a 2 grand car really.

Thinking now of keeping both it and the CRV as long as I have to commute to work. If one quits, take the other one

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13186 on: September 09, 2020, 11:45:58 am »
It's been a good car, mostly trouble free. Great for hauling stuff with the fold forward passenger seat. Getting pretty old now and was thinking of selling it as we got the RX, but it's a 2 grand car really.

Thinking now of keeping both it and the CRV as long as I have to commute to work. If one quits, take the other one
How much is the insurance on Vibe and CRV ? Is it worth to keep 2 winter beats around ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:43:08 pm by Airbalancer »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: September 09, 2020, 11:53:06 am »

The Vibe is one of those cars that will run forever.  BUT, if you're looking to sell it, When I was shopping for a beater, I saw them bottom out at around $4K, regardless of mileage.  And if it has less than 200 000kms on the odometer, it's a $5-$6000 car.  Yours looks like its in nice shape, so as long as the interior's good, it could go for $7k.  These little cars really, really hold their value, and they're in high demand because of just how good they are. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #13188 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:57 pm »
They seem to go cheaper in Edmonton, although prices of everything used seem to be going up lately. See Kijiji lists these first gens currently as asking between 1800 and 3800

Mines a base standard at 220,000. I guess I could ask 3000 and get 2500. Still not a lot to gain for a known good beater

The auto/1.8 version is indeed bulletproof, one company here buys them for delivery vehicles. Saw one advertised on Kijiji with 500,000 km!

The CRV has made a growly noise for the about 4 years since we replaced the CV axle, could be just an issue with non-honda replacements, or it could be something more serious. Was thinking if that goes bang this is a good backup, but yeah, there is the extra insurance

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: September 09, 2020, 02:02:50 pm »
Edmonton always seems to have the cheapest cars in Alberta.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13190 on: September 12, 2020, 01:20:26 pm »
Took the right front wheel off to look for any obvious cause of the suspension noise I'm hearing.  Didn't see anything, so I'll have my shop look more closely when I take the Sonata in for its winter tire change over.  I did find this dead grasshopper inside the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:24:56 pm by Bubba »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: September 15, 2020, 08:02:00 am »

I, well the Sonic, hit the big 125 yesterday.  That's a milestone right? Or a kilometre-rock...

Hard to believe it's been almost 8 yrs already.  Been a good cheap car to own and operate.  Maybe one day I'll buy it a new front stabilizer link...but meh, can't notice it's not there...and it's cheaper not to.  And quieter too.  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13192 on: September 15, 2020, 12:12:42 pm »
Got the parts to replace rear toe arms, so finally it will feel stable at, err, extra highway speeds. Nice to work at a shop for parts pricing and labour is cash and beer after hours.

Also began a discussion with the sales manager on possibly trading it in...we shall see how the numbers shake out.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: September 15, 2020, 12:21:23 pm »

I, well the Sonic, hit the big 125 yesterday.  That's a milestone right? Or a kilometre-rock...

Hard to believe it's been almost 8 yrs already.  Been a good cheap car to own and operate.  Maybe one day I'll buy it a new front stabilizer link...but meh, can't notice it's not there...and it's cheaper not to.  And quieter too.  ;D

Ahem:

:stick: :drive:

I'm waiting for it to hit 333 333kms, then I'll throw a party for it.  And by 'throw a party for it', I obviously mean keep treating it nicely so it will make it to 400 000kms.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13194 on: September 15, 2020, 12:48:08 pm »
Got the parts to replace rear toe arms, so finally it will feel stable at, err, extra highway speeds. Nice to work at a shop for parts pricing and labour is cash and beer after hours.

Also began a discussion with the sales manager on possibly trading it in...we shall see how the numbers shake out.

Nice!! Might have to bring Bella's 323i over there for some of that cheap labour, it needs the rear upper control arms replaced.

What Jag would you trade the Lexus in for?  :stick:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13195 on: September 15, 2020, 12:53:43 pm »

Nice!! Might have to bring Bella's 323i over there for some of that cheap labour, it needs the rear upper control arms replaced.

Stop encouraging him...man needs to focus on more important things...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: September 15, 2020, 01:24:23 pm »
Ahem:

:stick: :drive:

I'm waiting for it to hit 333 333kms, then I'll throw a party for it.  And by 'throw a party for it', I obviously mean keep treating it nicely so it will make it to 400 000kms.

It might take me a while to get this thing there...pretty sure it would make it too...but unfortunately I got almost no reason to go anywhere and then not with it.  I wonder if I can start a go-fund me to raise capital to just drive across and all over Canada...if I take the Sonic and started my own vlogblogthingameshmog...I mean who wouldn't want THIS as their excuse for tuning into the internets for daily/weekly updates?

Can I get some fries with that shake!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: September 15, 2020, 03:19:54 pm »

Stop encouraging him...man needs to focus on more important things...
Nonsense! After all the setbacks and problems, I should be able to do something that makes me happy! I have nothing else, no hobbies etc. that cost money. I have my car (was cars... :'() But only if the numbers make sense...

and the car is a black 2011 XFR that is in perfect condition that just got serviced here. So far my insurance would be still manageable...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13198 on: September 15, 2020, 03:40:43 pm »
Nonsense! After all the setbacks and problems, I should be able to do something that makes me happy! I have nothing else, no hobbies etc. that cost money. I have my car (was cars... :'() But only if the numbers make sense...

and the car is a black 2011 XFR that is in perfect condition that just got serviced here. So far my insurance would be still manageable...

Sounds intriguing, how would the fuel economy be though??

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: September 15, 2020, 04:34:03 pm »

Sounds intriguing, how would the fuel economy be though??
Not great, but not too much worse than the IS300, honestly. I drive my cars hard, as you know, so fuel economy will actually be closer for the two than one might guess.

IS300 already gets about 10-12/100km at best...usually more like 14 because of my driving. And it takes premium already. So the Jag? Will also be bad, but I am used to that.