Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011479 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13140 on: August 29, 2020, 11:05:43 am »
Aren't TSB's merely 'instructions to fix a known problem's?  If your vehicle is under warranty, yes, they'll fix it, but if it happens out of warranty, then you pay, I think.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13141 on: August 29, 2020, 11:13:40 am »
Aren't TSB's merely 'instructions to fix a known problem's?  If your vehicle is under warranty, yes, they'll fix it, but if it happens out of warranty, then you pay, I think.
But then if it's a known problem it suggests tons of owners have had it and then at what point does it become a recall?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13142 on: August 29, 2020, 11:23:15 am »
AS - good on ya for having the patience to fix all that up, WOW!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13143 on: August 29, 2020, 11:32:40 am »

+1

I don't have the patience or the smarts to tackle something like that.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13144 on: August 29, 2020, 01:02:31 pm »
at what point does it become a recall?

When the legal costs of deaths/injuries outweigh the fix.

P.S. I get all my information from Fight Club.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: August 29, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »
at what point does it become a recall?

When the legal costs of deaths/injuries outweigh the fix.

P.S. I get all my information from Fight Club.  :rofl2:

LOL [emoji38]

Also if they're ordered by NHTSA or of its a PR disaster in the making, or if ignoring the initial fix leads to more expensive fix down the road, etc etc
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13146 on: August 30, 2020, 07:22:51 pm »

^^

That is the case.  In my case it would only be under the 3 year bumper to bumper or 60K km.  Really depends on how many times one opens and closes the trunk.  A RECALL relates to "safety" and is ordered by the US Department of Transportation I think.  Although one could argue that the back up camera would fall under it.  Of the main stream manufacturers, only Toyota will fix things post warranty.

The 2015 to 2020 5.3 GM V8's multi cylinder deactivation is a disaster.  Massive number of motors are burning 2 US quarts of oil per 1000 miles or losing cylinders all together.  There are millions of these engines on the road and even under warranty GM is denying claims.  They have no choice.  Warranty is no guarantee.

For 2021 Ford is going this route on the F150 but I'm not sure which motors.  If a 10 speed transmission is not enough complication.  Now they need to start turning cylinders off.  ::) :P

Another example:  Mazda announced this week that it has issued a recall for approximately 262,000 cars and SUVs. The vehicles included in this recall are the 2018-2019 CX-5, the 2018-2019 Mazda6 and the 2019 Mazda3. Nearly all of the vehicles were built at Mazda's factory in Japan, with the exception of 2,651 Mazda3s that were built in Mexico.

The cars' cylinder deactivation tech is at the root of the issue. When transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation, a powertrain control module in charge of the hydraulic valve clearance adjuster might function incorrectly. If that happens, the intake valve rocker arm might leave its usual position and bump into other engine components.  If this happens, the engine may misfire or lose power, and a warning light might illuminate on the dashboard 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:18 am »

^^

That is the case.  In my case it would only be under the 3 year bumper to bumper or 60K km.  Really depends on how many times one opens and closes the trunk.  A RECALL relates to "safety" and is ordered by the US Department of Transportation I think.  Although one could argue that the back up camera would fall under it.  Of the main stream manufacturers, only Toyota will fix things post warranty.

The 2015 to 2020 5.3 GM V8's multi cylinder deactivation is a disaster.  Massive number of motors are burning 2 US quarts of oil per 1000 miles or losing cylinders all together.  There are millions of these engines on the road and even under warranty GM is denying claims.  They have no choice.  Warranty is no guarantee.

^^^And that's why I'm not recommending post 2006 GM trucks to anybody.  My boss is in the market for a used truck (him with the fried F-150).  He doesn't want to spend used Tundra money (although that's what I'm recommending), so I'm pushing him in the direction of a pre-2006 Silverado/Sierra.  As far as I know, those trucks were pretty much bulletproof, and didn't have any of the AFM that plagued GM trucks starting in 2007.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:44 am »
I dropped the Tundra off at my Indy for an oil change this morning.  I think I'm forsaking the dealer.   The dealer wants $200 for an oil change once a year or 16 000kms (I don't put 16 000kms on the truck in a year, so I'm time based now), and $80 for a mere inspection 6 months/8000kms between oil changes. 

My Indy will do a synthetic Oil Change and Inspection for $125.  So I'll just take the Tundra to my Indy every 6 months and get my oil changed twice as frequently as I would if I kept going to the dealer, for less money overall on an annual basis.  I think I like the shorter oil change intervals. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13149 on: August 31, 2020, 11:36:40 am »

^^

^^^And that's why I'm not recommending post 2006 GM trucks to anybody.  My boss is in the market for a used truck (him with the fried F-150).  He doesn't want to spend used Tundra money (although that's what I'm recommending), so I'm pushing him in the direction of a pre-2006 Silverado/Sierra.  As far as I know, those trucks were pretty much bulletproof, and didn't have any of the AFM that plagued GM trucks starting in 2007.
I wouldn’t buy a pre 2006 GMC and I had 2 of them

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: August 31, 2020, 12:04:30 pm »
...and $80 for a mere inspection 6 months/8000kms between oil changes. 

... So I'll just take the Tundra to my Indy every 6 months and get my oil changed twice as frequently as I would if I kept going to the dealer....

That "inspection" seems like a dirty money grab by Toyota.  Whenever I drop the Golf off I insist on getting an oil change only.

If you're running synthetic there's really no need to do it every 6 months, way overkill in my opinion.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13151 on: August 31, 2020, 12:30:37 pm »
I've been changing once a year with synthetic since 2000 or so, have not had any issues so far

That being said, might depend on the engine design

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13152 on: August 31, 2020, 03:18:58 pm »
^^^And that's why I'm not recommending post 2006 GM trucks to anybody.

I don't follow GM motors, but I know that like bendix driven stop/start , cylinder deactivation is garbage tech.

Interesting article here:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/gm-escalates-cylinder-deactivation-with-dynamic-fuel-management/

Be really interesting to see what power trains Toyota installs in the new Tundra.  If there is no cylinder deactivation among them you'll know why.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13153 on: August 31, 2020, 03:33:26 pm »

I don't follow GM motors, but I know that like bendix driven stop/start , cylinder deactivation is garbage tech.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/gm-escalates-cylinder-deactivation-with-dynamic-fuel-management/

Be really interesting to see what power trains Toyota installs in the new Tundra.  If there is no cylinder deactivation among them you'll know why.

Many GM guys, myself included, will argue that the final pre-2006 5.3L and the 6.0L were the best truck engines - and likely the best truck engines we're going to get. Final LS series small blocks before government regs pushed GM to add cylinder deactivation, VVT, etc to get fuel economy and emissions in line. Unless you do something absolutely stupid, you're not going to kill one of those motors.
That said, the pre-2006 trucks themselves are not bulletproof...transfer cases, transmissions, rust out, front hubs, blend doors, etc are things that are all kinda suspect on the 15+ year old trucks. You've gotta remember, these are now pretty old trucks, by most standards, most have high miles, and have seen plenty of Canadian weather. These are also all relatively easy and low cost repairs....Even a trans R&R on one of these is <$2K.

If I was shopping for a truck though, I'd be looking for a 6.0L pre-2006 with the cleanest body/underside I could find...which probably means bringing something into Ontario from the West or South....And that'll cost as much as a much newer truck, but it's still what I'd do.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: August 31, 2020, 04:28:43 pm »

Many GM guys, myself included, will argue that the final pre-2006 5.3L and the 6.0L were the best truck engines - and likely the best truck engines we're going to get. Final LS series small blocks before government regs pushed GM to add cylinder deactivation, VVT, etc to get fuel economy and emissions in line. Unless you do something absolutely stupid, you're not going to kill one of those motors.
That said, the pre-2006 trucks themselves are not bulletproof...transfer cases, transmissions, rust out, front hubs, blend doors, etc are things that are all kinda suspect on the 15+ year old trucks. You've gotta remember, these are now pretty old trucks, by most standards, most have high miles, and have seen plenty of Canadian weather. These are also all relatively easy and low cost repairs....Even a trans R&R on one of these is <$2K.

If I was shopping for a truck though, I'd be looking for a 6.0L pre-2006 with the cleanest body/underside I could find...which probably means bringing something into Ontario from the West or South....And that'll cost as much as a much newer truck, but it's still what I'd do.

That's exactly what I'm pushing him to do.  He doesn't want to spend $20k-$30 on a used 10-15 year old Tundra, so I'm advising him to spend $5-10k on a pre-2006 GM, preferably one of the 1500HD models they had with the 6.0L. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13155 on: August 31, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »
Those 1500HDs seem to be pretty rare, I can't remember the last time I saw one. Definitely a sweet spot of that era's lineup.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #13156 on: August 31, 2020, 05:17:30 pm »
Correct me if I'm are my but can't you just turn that cylinder deactivation feature off with a cheap tuner.  Wouldn't that solve the reliability issues?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13157 on: August 31, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »
Don't think it's as simplistic as that.  The valves lifters, oil pump and god knows what else is built for cylinder activation.

You MUST upgrade to a non-AFM camshaft because the cam lobes in the four AFM cylinders are ground differently. The engine will have 25 less pounds of compression in those four cylinders which can result in a misfire code. You will need to turn off the AFM system using a computer programmer or custom tuning.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13158 on: September 01, 2020, 08:01:46 am »

+1

I don't have the patience or the smarts to tackle something like that.

+2 

I had a hard enough time getting up the gumption to fix the wiring harness on my boat trailer a few weeks ago and it's only 4 wires, and the broken area was in plain sight.   :rofl2:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13159 on: September 01, 2020, 09:45:49 am »
Replaced the steering rack bushings on the LS 430 and did its 5,000km oil and filter change. It's not seeing nearly as many miles as it used to, and will likely be closer to 10k a year moving forward.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks