Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011635 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #12980 on: July 21, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »
So....are they charging you for the misdiagnosis and the work to install the waterpump/remove the waterpump?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: July 21, 2020, 01:08:50 pm »
I know...but from what he said...it sounded like they'd already pulled it off and put the old one back on.  Was just calling to let me know...so I guess I will see if I end up with 4 hrs labour and a new alternator... :-\

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: July 21, 2020, 05:29:14 pm »
No charges for the water pump work...alternator and install on it only...$486.50 all in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:37:27 am by BWII »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12983 on: July 25, 2020, 03:25:45 pm »
good. the way it should be.

I have my morgan in the shop right now... figure it could use an oil change, and one wee problem... can't get it into reverse. good thing the damn thing is so light...a neighbor was laughing at me pushing the car backwards out of my driveway this morning. likely because I am able to do it from in the drivers seat with the door closed... I can reach the ground from there and I am able to get a roll going even with that light a touch! not sure whats up with it but it's always had an issue, even back as far as I can remember... just seems to finally be at the point of no return.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12984 on: July 25, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »

I have my morgan in the shop right now... figure it could use an oil change, and one wee problem... can't get it into reverse. good thing the damn thing is so light...a neighbor was laughing at me pushing the car backwards out of my driveway this morning. likely because I am able to do it from in the drivers seat with the door closed... I can reach the ground from there and I am able to get a roll going even with that light a touch! not sure whats up with it but it's always had an issue, even back as far as I can remember... just seems to finally be at the point of no return.

Just a linkage thing, or internal?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #12985 on: July 25, 2020, 03:37:14 pm »

I can reach the ground from there and I am able to get a roll going even with that light a touch!

Just grab a saw, cut a hole in the wood floor boards, and do a Fred Flintstone.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: July 25, 2020, 03:52:38 pm »

You're back!!!! :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12987 on: July 25, 2020, 03:54:59 pm »
down to one manager in a store trying to do near 100 deals a month... so I haven't had a lot of time! you guys miss me?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: July 25, 2020, 04:01:24 pm »
I performed a factory recall on the Tundra.

The front turn signals have been weak since day one.  I will be signalling left at a 4-way stop, and even though I have the right of way, the person opposite me will just start driving forward as if they don't see my turn signal and think I'm going straight.

This has been a common complaint on the Tundra forums for trucks equipped with the LED headlights.  Some people went so far as to replace their turn signals with LED bulbs, complete with resistors, for extra brightness.

Anyways, turns out Toyota acknowledged the problem, and issued a recall.  The incandescent signal bulbs have two filaments, a low and a high.  The turn signal harness at the bulbs was wired to use the low power filament.  The fix involves removing the plug, depinning the power wire and moving it to the unused hole so it connects with the high power filament.  Rather than dropping the truck off at the dealer and waiting around while they fixed it, I just did it myself.  Fifteen minutes, and I was done.  Easy.  Now the turn signals are bright and easily visible.

First picture is after I did the left turn signal.  It's brighter than the right.  Second picture is with both fixed.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: July 25, 2020, 04:45:37 pm »
down to one manager in a store trying to do near 100 deals a month... so I haven't had a lot of time! you guys miss me?

So no pre-owned Manager?

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12990 on: July 25, 2020, 04:47:45 pm »

First picture is after I did the left turn signal.  It's brighter than the right.  Second picture is with both fixed.

Those are tiny lights regardless. No wonder they have little impact on other drivers.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: July 25, 2020, 05:20:20 pm »

So no pre-owned Manager?

yeah. we had always survived with no general manager (I just kind of wore that hat even though i'm just the new car manager), and a pre-owned... but he is no longer, so just little old me.

and as for the morgan, yeah, my guess is some part of the linkage is messed. I have to claim ignorance on the mechanicals, so all I can say is that it feels like something is possibly bent/messed so that it just doesn't go where it is supposed to in order to actually engage reverse. I literally can't even find the gap to put it in... I suppose it could be something to do with a reverse lockout that it could have...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: July 26, 2020, 01:05:51 am »
Drove 500kms today in the Nissan Z. Seemed to get reasonable gas mileage. Seats started to get uncomfortable after about 450kms.

Got a speedo gear wheel for the Fiero so hopefully a working speedometer tomorrow.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12993 on: July 26, 2020, 02:31:46 am »

Those are tiny lights regardless. No wonder they have little impact on other drivers.
That’s what I thought when I passed by a Tundra a couple of weeks back, those lights are tiny.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:47 am »
SW2 priority are:

Step 1) new tires : Done !

I went with Yokohama Ascend Avid GT 185/65/R15, 88H, rated 740-A-A, thread 12/32", 110,000 kms https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/avid-ascend-gt
I hope I made the right selection.  :P

(4) Tires installed + (2) new wiper blades: That is a lot of new rubber  8) + oil change, inspection check.

First highway ride speed under heavy rain yesterday, including perfect lane grooves for potential aquaplaning: No, the new shoes did very well on very aspect, including some hard cornering.

Overall, I'm happy of my tires selection, riding on dry or wet conditions.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:37:23 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline freduis

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: cars
« Reply #12995 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:04 am »
Oil and Filter in the Miata, Amsoil Signature Synthetic and filter
Oil and filter in the Corolla, as above.
Installed new rear wiper motor in the Highlander.  Simple job took 15min.  Paid $80 for the part, labour $0.00.  Dealer wanted $275 for the part,$225 labour.  What a joke.
Installed new Intermediate Steering Shaft in the Highlander.  Dealer wanted $450 installed.  Followed very easy TSB instructions, did it for $160.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12996 on: July 29, 2020, 08:52:14 am »
Getting new fuel tank put into the girlfriends Lil Red Echo. Rust bucket has a hole in it, we think, causing all sorts of problems and fuel smell and leak on fill up. Ugh Toyotas are supposed to be maintenance free right!?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:14 pm »
Getting new fuel tank put into the girlfriends Lil Red Echo. Rust bucket has a hole in it, we think, causing all sorts of problems and fuel smell and leak on fill up. Ugh Toyotas are supposed to be maintenance free right!?

Echos will run forever....until the rust gets at them on Ontario's salted roads....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12998 on: July 30, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »

Echos will run forever....until the rust gets at them on Ontario's salted roads....
Yep. Only thing killing that little car is the horrendous rust.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12999 on: July 30, 2020, 09:43:33 pm »
My parents' '88 Corolla's body disintegrated around its indestructible engine and transmission.  Yay Newfoundland salt air and winter road salt!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...