Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012102 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #12840 on: June 21, 2020, 01:54:32 pm »
I'd say that's part of the serpentine belt.  I'd also check for the reason it shredded in the first place.  My guess is a seized idler pulley.
Yup; serpentine belt! It was making noise for a bit & I never got around to checking it. Plus it was leaking oil in the winter which got onto the belt. Fixed the oil leak, but never got back to do the belt. The idler pulley is fine, but the tensioner one isn't. Ordered a belt kit that includes a new belt, idler & tensioner pulleys.

She's lucky she made it home without overheating. Happened about 18mins from home while on the hwy, so she was moving quick enough for the car to get some air cooling. Plus she turned everything off to save energy. Car is parked on the road in front of the house with a dead battery. Im gonna try to charge the battery a bit to see if I can get it up onto the driveway. If not I'll use the Passport to pull it up.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: June 21, 2020, 04:43:10 pm »

If not I'll use the Passport to pull it up.

https://youtu.be/Tw_vcM7bynA

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: June 21, 2020, 04:44:49 pm »
^ha, ha, ha!!!

Got it up onto the driveway with just battery power.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: June 21, 2020, 04:46:52 pm »
IQs TT and your BMW.

Can't remember the last time I've seen cars throw belts before ours..

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: June 21, 2020, 04:55:58 pm »
IQs TT and your BMW.

Can't remember the last time I've seen cars throw belts before ours..
Yeah, me neither, but I should have been on it before this... just laziness on my part.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: June 21, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »
I'd say that's part of the serpentine belt.  I'd also check for the reason it shredded in the first place.  My guess is a seized idler pulley.
Yup; serpentine belt! It was making noise for a bit & I never got around to checking it. Plus it was leaking oil in the winter which got onto the belt. Fixed the oil leak, but never got back to do the belt. The idler pulley is fine, but the tensioner one isn't. Ordered a belt kit that includes a new belt, idler & tensioner pulleys.

She's lucky she made it home without overheating. Happened about 18mins from home while on the hwy, so she was moving quick enough for the car to get some air cooling. Plus she turned everything off to save energy. Car is parked on the road in front of the house with a dead battery. Im gonna try to charge the battery a bit to see if I can get it up onto the driveway. If not I'll use the Passport to pull it up.

Yikes! I just had my belt and tensioner replaced earlier this month.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: June 21, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »

Yeah, read some horror stories about the belt getting sucked into the engine behind the crank pulley & eating thru the crank seal. Guess it wraps up around there & gets ingested. Hers was wrapped in the fan a little bit & was mainly sitting at the bottom of the engine bay behind the rad. I charged up the battery today & drove the car onto the driveway & it ran fine as far as I could tell, no crazy noises, or oil spitting out around the crank seal.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: June 21, 2020, 07:32:32 pm »

Yeah, read some horror stories about the belt getting sucked into the engine behind the crank pulley & eating thru the crank seal. Guess it wraps up around there & gets ingested. Hers was wrapped in the fan a little bit & was mainly sitting at the bottom of the engine bay behind the rad. I charged up the battery today & drove the car onto the driveway & it ran fine as far as I could tell, no crazy noises, or oil spitting out around the crank seal.

So the tailpipe didn't look like a garden hose spewing coolant?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: June 21, 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
Nope, nothing coming out of it.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12849 on: June 21, 2020, 07:44:31 pm »
Nope, nothing coming out of it.

Not even exhaust?   :think:   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12850 on: June 21, 2020, 08:38:33 pm »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12851 on: June 21, 2020, 08:46:20 pm »
When they fixed the AC on the C30, they noticed the serpentine was a little worse for wear and replaced it.  Timing belt change will come next summer.  Volvo recommends every 10 years (I'm way below the recommended mileage level), and next year the car will be 9.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: June 22, 2020, 02:11:27 pm »
Had the Michelin's installed on the Mazdaspeed. Hopefully they will last longer then the Ironman's that the previous owner had put on before.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: June 22, 2020, 03:00:31 pm »

Good to hear that it isn't too bad.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12854 on: June 22, 2020, 04:36:24 pm »
Yesterday I finished up the caliper re-finish on the XKR by putting the decals on the rears and then we went for a nice Father's day drive in the Hills during the morning before it got too hot.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12855 on: June 24, 2020, 02:00:57 pm »
Did the belt, idler & tensioner pulleys on Bella's 323i today. Ordered the parts from Rockauto on Sunday & they arrived just after noon today. Since I knew they were on their way I took the old parts off yesterday afternoon which took me about 10mins. Then another 20mins today putting it all back together. The most time was spent getting the belt looped back on. Grabbed a few pics.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: June 24, 2020, 02:35:01 pm »
Looks good! Saved yourself a few hundred bucks.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12857 on: June 24, 2020, 05:15:13 pm »
Nice job! Up for a 2JZ belt next?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: June 24, 2020, 06:55:30 pm »
Nice job! Up for a 2JZ belt next?
Let me Google it ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12859 on: June 24, 2020, 07:47:58 pm »
Yesterday I finished up the caliper re-finish on the XKR by putting the decals on the rears and then we went for a nice Father's day drive in the Hills during the morning before it got too hot.

I think your kid is trying to signal that the glasses are on upside down.