Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012136 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #12700 on: June 01, 2020, 05:19:30 pm »
Fair enough and you probably are not piling the miles on.  There could be more Land Rover reports as they probably sold  20 to 1 vs the XKR. I was shocked at the cost of about $10k CAN for a used 5.0L if you can find one.  My LR4 is at 180 K kms on the original chain and I am at the point if it breaks I will part it out.There is a class action organizing but I have my doubts if it will go anywhere.

Also may be that XK/XKR's tend to be toys, so owners keep up on the oil changes and such. LR may fall to more abusive owners more frequently.

Do you have any noise coming from yours?

Nope all quiet so far knock on wood. More real danger from the plastic front and rear crossover coolant pipes. If you notice your coolant dropping even a smidge then that is a sign if the pump is clean.

Crossover pipes and water pump were done on mine at around 140K @ Palm Beach Jaguar. I've been keeping my eye on the pump though b/c they are a known issue, even after being replaced ones. I did DIY replace some small coolant tubes last year; they run along the right side of the engine, across the front, and connect up to various points at the front left of the engine. Lots of swearing and tight squeezing, but itn't that bad. Did a coolant drain/fill at the same time.

I've noticed that the s/c 5.0L gives off a LOT of heat in the engine bay....and being a black car that spent it's life in Key West, there's no doubt that all the plastic under the hood has seen a shitton of heat. So yeah, anything plastic in there at this point, that hasn't already been replaced, is suspect. lol.

I was able to download a complete copy of the dealer service manual, it does a good job breaking down step-by-step just about any job. I am sure it'll prove very handy as the car ages.

As for the steam cleaner....I actually do have one, it's a household unit, but I've used it in the cars before. I lent it to my mom awhile ago and never bothered to ask for it back. Might have been handy here, but w/e, nothing wrong with the trusty old sponge and rag method. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12701 on: June 01, 2020, 05:29:32 pm »

Thanks Guys :)

CC; nothing fancy. I cleaned the worst off using a damp sponge with a bucket of soapy (car wash) water. Then sprayed some quick detailer and wiped it down, piece by piece with some microfiber. Then used some 'black wax' on the visible painted parts. Used a shop vac here and there as well to get dirt/dust out of the crevices.

Am surprised you don't have a steam cleaner...given all the old cars/ interiors/parts you clean yearly.

I got one this year and I'm disappointed I didn't have one years ago....

So amazing, so easy. Plus we use it around the house to clean....everything.

which steam cleaner did ya get?

Dupray "Neat" steam cleaner.  They make commercial units and this is their first pro-sumer model.  Lifetime warranty on boiler.  EXTREMELY pleased with it.  About an hour of high pressure, high heat steam. Tons of attachments.  Easy as can be to use, thoughtful design details, hose and attachment high quality, small footprint.  Very, very pleased with it so far.  So many uses for it. Canadian company.

Paid $225 at Amazon.ca

https://dupray.com/products/neat-steam-cleaner
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 05:33:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12702 on: June 01, 2020, 06:44:11 pm »
Fair enough and you probably are not piling the miles on.  There could be more Land Rover reports as they probably sold  20 to 1 vs the XKR. I was shocked at the cost of about $10k CAN for a used 5.0L if you can find one.  My LR4 is at 180 K kms on the original chain and I am at the point if it breaks I will part it out.There is a class action organizing but I have my doubts if it will go anywhere.

Also may be that XK/XKR's tend to be toys, so owners keep up on the oil changes and such. LR may fall to more abusive owners more frequently.

Nope all quiet so far knock on wood. More real danger from the plastic front and rear crossover coolant pipes. If you notice your coolant dropping even a smidge then that is a sign if the pump is clean.

Crossover pipes and water pump were done on mine at around 140K @ Palm Beach Jaguar. I've been keeping my eye on the pump though b/c they are a known issue, even after being replaced ones. I did DIY replace some small coolant tubes last year; they run along the right side of the engine, across the front, and connect up to various points at the front left of the engine. Lots of swearing and tight squeezing, but itn't that bad. Did a coolant drain/fill at the same time.

I've noticed that the s/c 5.0L gives off a LOT of heat in the engine bay....and being a black car that spent it's life in Key West, there's no doubt that all the plastic under the hood has seen a shitton of heat. So yeah, anything plastic in there at this point, that hasn't already been replaced, is suspect. lol.

I was able to download a complete copy of the dealer service manual, it does a good job breaking down step-by-step just about any job. I am sure it'll prove very handy as the car ages.

As for the steam cleaner....I actually do have one, it's a household unit, but I've used it in the cars before. I lent it to my mom awhile ago and never bothered to ask for it back. Might have been handy here, but w/e, nothing wrong with the trusty old sponge and rag method. :)

Sounds like you are covered on the crossovers. What I notice about the impeccable Jag is the great engine access. The back part of the V8 in the LR4 is very tight (look at the short hood on a LR3/4 next time you see one.). Yours is all out in the open!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12703 on: June 01, 2020, 09:28:11 pm »

Sounds like you are covered on the crossovers. What I notice about the impeccable Jag is the great engine access. The back part of the V8 in the LR4 is very tight (look at the short hood on a LR3/4 next time you see one.). Yours is all out in the open!

Yeah, never thought of that...The forward opening hood is good for access, to the rear at least, as well. It's not all roses at the back of the engine though; I'd like to change the oil in my supercharger, but the drain/fill plug is at the back and there's almost no access. You've either got to take the supercharger off, which is a lot of work, or some of the forum guys have built some custom tools consisting of a cut-down allen wrench and a piece of medical line with a specific curve in it, that can do it with a lot of patience and a little bit of disassembly. I am going to try the later some day when I am feeling patient.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:27 am »
I washed the truck and my kids Mustang on Sunday.  Forecast was for 30% chance of rain...fine, it's only 30%.  Of course it rained.  Forecast after that was sunny all week.

So this evening, I rinse of the truck, clean it again, and wash the Mustang, again, because it's supposed to be sunny, all week. 

Kid comes home from the farm...thanks for washing it again Mr Chamois.  Just watch...it'll rain again tomorrow.

I laugh! Hahahahaha...belly jiggles...no, sun all week Look...

Pull up the forecas...fack  ::) >:(...30% chance of rain tomorrow, and 60% chance of rain Wednesday night... ::) c'mon!!  :banghead:

On the bright side the fertilized parts of the lawn look great...but there are mosquitoes this year!  Haven't had any for 2-3 yrs...they're back! 
And my car is in the garage and glazed and waxed and not going anywhere, so at least it's clean.  Maybe I'll wax the wheels...or give it a 4th coat of something...take the dead bugs off the engine.  Who knows...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:22:21 am by BWII »

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12705 on: June 02, 2020, 01:17:28 am »
Working on the Fiero today. The trans seems to leak a bit of fluid. Fluid seems real thin. Went to check the level. One has to do it via the speed sensor. Pulled that out. The plastic gear fell off and promptly sank deep into the transmission.  :banghead:

WTF?

Seems to be a common Fiero problem. You can either remove and tear down the transmission. Or replace the gear wheel and hope the old one does not gum up anything important. Who designed this? ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: June 02, 2020, 01:34:52 am »
Working on the Fiero today. The trans seems to leak a bit of fluid. Fluid seems real thin. Went to check the level. One has to do it via the speed sensor. Pulled that out. The plastic gear fell off and promptly sank deep into the transmission.  :banghead:

WTF?

Seems to be a common Fiero problem. You can either remove and tear down the transmission. Or replace the gear wheel and hope the old one does not gum up anything important. Who designed this? ???

A friends dad was a modeller at GM/Cadillac for like 50 years (might be a bit less, but he was a lifer).  A few times when we talked about "worst car ever" he'd say "Fiero".   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: June 02, 2020, 10:39:02 am »

WTF?

Jesus...that's dumb. I'd probably chance it, but out of curiosity, how difficult is a trans Re/Re in a Fiero?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12708 on: June 02, 2020, 10:40:22 am »
Getting the yearly windshield for the JK. $215 for it and they come to the office to do it, I like it!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: June 02, 2020, 10:44:10 am »
Not sure how bad it is to take tranny in and out but all I want to do was check the fluid level.  ::)

I think we are going to chance it. Replaced the stuck thermostat.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: June 02, 2020, 11:07:22 am »
Not sure how bad it is to take tranny in and out but all I want to do was check the fluid level.  ::)

It remind me being a kid, my father had to dismantle half of his combine harvester to replace defective bearings of the internal shaking trays. I remember asking him, why so? His answer was: it has been designed only to be quick & easy on the assembly line, without any second thought for future maintenance... I miss him.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12711 on: June 02, 2020, 11:08:54 am »

It remind me being a kid, my father had to dismantle half of his combine harvester to replace defective bearings of the internal shaking trays. I remember asking him, why so? His answer was: it has been designed to be quick & easy only on the assembly line, without any second thought for future maintenance... I miss him.

I heard this saying a while ago, "an engineer would crawl over a mountain of virgins to f#$k a mechanic"  ;D

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: June 02, 2020, 11:13:23 am »
He was too prude to use such language but he would have understood the meaning behind the words  ;)

Edit: f*&ing spell corrector  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:28:14 am by me_2 »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12713 on: June 02, 2020, 11:38:17 am »
I remember being impressed with the Mazda pickup I had every time I worked on it. It was like the designers had a service mechanic on the development team

Compared to the Ford pickups I was used to where everything seemed to be hard to get at, hard to take apart, hard to put back together, require a special tool, etc.

Those old Ford pickups did have about the easiest heater core to change, as it was high up in the engine bay

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12714 on: June 05, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
Power steering died last evening on the pickup, left a puddle of fluid and no assist now.

Gonna have to put it in the garage and see what blew
Mr Pickypants

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: June 05, 2020, 04:24:45 pm »
^^ Oh the joy of an old vehicle. Just put an alternator on mine. Better than wasting 35 k on a new one I guess.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12716 on: June 05, 2020, 04:49:16 pm »
^High pressure power steering hose.
$70 from NAPA, will be in tomorrow morning.

Doesn't look horrible to change, we will see.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12717 on: June 05, 2020, 04:53:39 pm »
At least it's warm now. I had the oil filter blow out on the CRV when it was -40 back in January

Thank goodness for those thin disposable gloves

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: June 05, 2020, 08:22:22 pm »
^^ Those thin disposable gloves are at a premium now. ;D

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: June 06, 2020, 02:34:52 pm »

Gave the Acura a little love. The passenger side has been very broken since I got the car. The driver's side is cracked but not nearly as bad. Finally ordered parts and replaced both sides.

before

After. Car needs a wash but it is supposed to rain tomorrow so ...