Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013928 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11980 on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:21 am »
Sent it to my indie...just called him - sounds/looks like it might be transfer case. Damn.  ::) >:( :'( (guess I should stop playing Colin McRae  :P :-[)

At 80 kmh it makes this groaning noise - slower, and it doesn't, faster, and it also goes away.  Although this AM I did notice I could kinda hear it faintly at 100 kmh too.  It's also cold as hell out there.  But I was parked in the garage.  They stethoscoped all the ujoints and axles and bearings, and all's good...except the transfer case.  So they dip into the oil, and it's got that look like metallic paint.

Not the first one he's seen he says...but considering my kms and everything else being good, he still wants to make sure, and he'll let me know.

New one is something like $1600 - figures he can get a used one for a few hundred.  If I went new, not the end of the world.  Worth 30% of the car, but it'll bring my total to around $1000-2000 spent in 9~ years on out of service fixes.  Not so bad...could be an FGC, and that's what?  Every 3-6 months?

Ford has had huge issues with the awd in its "suv's" since forever. The power take off is usually the problem, $1600 isn't bad especially since the car has been good to you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: February 13, 2020, 11:23:50 am »
$1600 isn't bad?  We have very different definitions my friend.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:25 am »

After 9 years of not spending a nickel on it, yeah, its not bad at all. This is a transfer case as well, imagine he had some FGC, this would have cost a right arm, part of a leg and his neighbors firstborn.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11983 on: February 13, 2020, 12:00:02 pm »
Sent it to my indie...just called him - sounds/looks like it might be transfer case. Damn.  ::) >:( :'( (guess I should stop playing Colin McRae  :P :-[)

At 80 kmh it makes this groaning noise - slower, and it doesn't, faster, and it also goes away.  Although this AM I did notice I could kinda hear it faintly at 100 kmh too.  It's also cold as hell out there.  But I was parked in the garage.  They stethoscoped all the ujoints and axles and bearings, and all's good...except the transfer case.  So they dip into the oil, and it's got that look like metallic paint.

Not the first one he's seen he says...but considering my kms and everything else being good, he still wants to make sure, and he'll let me know.

New one is something like $1600 - figures he can get a used one for a few hundred.  If I went new, not the end of the world.  Worth 30% of the car, but it'll bring my total to around $1000-2000 spent in 9~ years on out of service fixes.  Not so bad...could be an FGC, and that's what?  Every 3-6 months?

Is this in your Spark  ???
Because it can’t be in any of your Fords because I believe you said they the greatest thing since sliced bread  ;D
https://youtu.be/mxYNbKXm4g8

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11984 on: February 13, 2020, 12:05:45 pm »

After 9 years of not spending a nickel on it, yeah, its not bad at all. This is a transfer case as well, imagine he had some FGC, this would have cost a right arm, part of a leg and his neighbors firstborn.

Yes $1600 is rookie numbers. Brand new replacement in a FBC. Part only, would have to pay someone to go swap it for you  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11985 on: February 13, 2020, 12:10:27 pm »

Yes $1600 is rookie numbers. Brand new replacement in a FBC. Part only, would have to pay someone to go swap it for you  ;D

Holy crap....yeah, see, $1600 is a drop in the bucket

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: February 13, 2020, 02:15:12 pm »

Is this in your Spark  ???
Because it can’t be in any of your Fords because I believe you said they the greatest thing since sliced bread  ;D
https://youtu.be/mxYNbKXm4g8

Sonic?  Yup...that's the one!

What Fob said...after 9+ yrs and this is maybe the first major issue?  Assuming it is what it is...and if it is, if he can source a wrecking yard unit (possibly shi##y proposition with its own de-merits) it'll be even less.  Not sure it'd be the same t-case as an Edge what with me having the Aisin trans, but it's entirely possible.  But, rough guess if it's $2g all in, it's still under $250/yr as an average...hate to do it, but it's worthless to anyone but me at this point anyway.  Co-worker offered to give me $2500 if I put a new case in.  :P

To which he got not one, but two...

$3500 I said...maybe. 

Wonder if there are any good 4-5 yr leases out there...just give it back after that, no worries.  :think:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:04 pm »
Made appt to get t-case/PTU changed on Friday. 
Used, 125,000  km - $700 - only one available...though I'm not 100% sure teh guy selling even knows if he knows what he's talking about - it's not an Edge...it's a Fusion.

So, told the indi to get me a new one.  $1444, Ford brand new unit, no 2nd guessing if it's going to turn into a POS in 3 yrs.

Indi says they also drill and tap them for a drain plug so that they are serviceable and Ford doesn't make them like that (good for life they said...no they're not they found out).  So great!  Every 3 yrs or so I can drain and put in new gear oil.  Wonder if I should get rrocket's Amsoil advice...can't use just any gear oil, it has to be specific to this gear-box (damn I hope my indi knows that  :P ::)).

I can't wait for the final bill... :'(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: February 19, 2020, 03:26:45 pm »
Made appt to get t-case/PTU changed on Friday. 
Used, 125,000  km - $700 - only one available...though I'm not 100% sure teh guy selling even knows if he knows what he's talking about - it's not an Edge...it's a Fusion.

So, told the indi to get me a new one.  $1444, Ford brand new unit, no 2nd guessing if it's going to turn into a POS in 3 yrs.

Indi says they also drill and tap them for a drain plug so that they are serviceable and Ford doesn't make them like that (good for life they said...no they're not they found out).  So great!  Every 3 yrs or so I can drain and put in new gear oil.  Wonder if I should get rrocket's Amsoil advice...can't use just any gear oil, it has to be specific to this gear-box (damn I hope my indi knows that  [emoji14] ::)).

I can't wait for the final bill... :'(
I'd run the highest spec synthetic you can get....Amsoil or not.

Give me year, make model, engine....I'll see if there's anything Amsoil.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:48:13 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: February 19, 2020, 05:55:13 pm »
Alright...I called my Amsoil dealer tech while I was driving to work...

Clearly, this isn't the first time this question has been asked.  Without knowing what specific car/engine/year, the answer wasn't specific to your car, but would apply.

There are a few issues at play.  First, the required fluid is very low.  As little as 375ml.  The second is the PTU is located closed to other components that throw off heat.  The bigger engines are "worse".  So you have the PTU with minimal fluid being baked which wears/thins the fluid quicker.  And since this is allegedly a lifetime fluid, it's not changed often enough and you run into your issue. Because of these factors, he said it's essentially what would be considered "severe duty" situation even when driven normally.  He said later versions come with more fluid and a drain plug.

They do indeed carry a fluid for your application.  Depending on which vehicle you have, you could get a couple drain/fills from a single quart.

Hope this helps.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: February 19, 2020, 11:19:44 pm »
It's for my Fusion - 2011 with the 3.5l - so it's a Sport.  One of the videos I watched mentioned the low fluid levels and high heat.  The one cat is right there underneath it so no help from that.  I wonder if I shouldn't get the rear diff and trans serviced soon too.  :P Or I could've bought the girl at work who bought the Hyundai SUV's old Intrigue.  Fewer ks than my car...probably could get it for a grand.  ;D  And then wish I was dead every day I drove it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11991 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:04 am »
Parts finally arrived for my Lexus. Going on the hoist today to fix its headlight level sensors. Also securing the tatty undertray with industrial strength zip ties  :P
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: February 21, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
Well shi#...t-case was bad, but apparently something is still making noise at 80 kmh.  So...back in it goes on Monday to figure out what that might be...could be u-joint, wheel bearing...don't know.  Should've cut and run years ago...lease and return...avoid those costly repair bills when they do start coming.  With all the deer on the way home (literally, there are probably close to 100 in the one field I go past, right by a creek and lots of bush too so you'd never see them coming), you'd think one of them would like white cars!  ;D :P ::)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11993 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:27 pm »
Well shi#...t-case was bad, but apparently something is still making noise at 80 kmh.  So...back in it goes on Monday to figure out what that might be...could be u-joint, wheel bearing...don't know.  Should've cut and run years ago...lease and return...avoid those costly repair bills when they do start coming.  With all the deer on the way home (literally, there are probably close to 100 in the one field I go past, right by a creek and lots of bush too so you'd never see them coming), you'd think one of them would like white cars!  ;D :P ::)

Strap some road-kill to your hood and run 'er into a tree.    It'll be fun
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11994 on: February 21, 2020, 08:31:56 pm »

Strap some road-kill to your hood and run 'er into a tree.    It'll be fun

Just remember to wear your seatbelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwqRmg763M

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: February 21, 2020, 09:32:13 pm »
I guess first they have to locate the problem.  But thanks, that's not too bad.  If it comes to that that is.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: February 21, 2020, 11:29:43 pm »
 :P Just got home from work...didn't change a damn thing.  I have the old PTU in the garage so will give that a look tomorrow - they took it apart to check it and said it was definitely 2 steps in the grave, so who knows...maybe I won't be able to see anything wrong.  Probably all evidence has been cleaned out.  ;)
Either way...fack.

Thinking I should just go buy 2 new rotors and pads...and eliminate that from the equation.  Wouldn't that be funny...hahahahaha...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11998 on: February 22, 2020, 08:17:39 am »

Now that thread about leasing looks more sensible!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11999 on: February 22, 2020, 09:21:46 am »

Now that thread about leasing looks more sensible!  :rofl2:
He bought it used, it is Ford , so he paid , what $10,000 for a Ford   ;D
When you compare what we pay for cars , to use maybe 2 hours a day , we should be giving our heads a shake
Want a waste of money
What a job the “Mad Men “ did to us to make us want to have new car every 3 years  :rofl: