Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014343 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11880 on: January 03, 2020, 04:36:12 pm »
Nah...I don't think a few lbs of air would make that much difference.

From the EPA website:
"Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by about 0.2% for every 1 psi drop in the average pressure of all tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer."

No, not that much of a difference, but a difference.  Don't forget the safety and longevity issues.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11881 on: January 04, 2020, 12:24:21 pm »
Front brakes on GTI done. Rear to be done in a month or so.

As I went with aftermarket Zimmermann discs and TRW pads I'm curious how they will hold up compared to the OEMs (50K km with no issues) but the price difference was from simple to double for parts so I thought is worth a shot. I had them installed at the delership for what I thought was a reasonable price ($175 +tax).

I plan to get the same combo for the rear so we'll see.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: January 04, 2020, 02:43:53 pm »
Do you drive with your foot on the brakes?! Only 50k?  :o Yeesh...didn't have to do mine until I hit 200k.  Ford FTW! (I guess)  ...VW use playdough for rotors and pads??  :think:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: January 04, 2020, 03:14:42 pm »
Do you drive with your foot on the brakes?! Only 50k?  :o Yeesh...didn't have to do mine until I hit 200k.  Ford FTW! (I guess)  ...VW use playdough for rotors and pads??  :think:

Nope but I drive mostly local, with traffic lights every 500 m or so and traffic. It certainly doesn't help.
Speaking of Ford, on my Focus I did the first brake job around 40K IIRC and I was doing a lot more highway driving at the time. Mazda3 was before 40K and Mitsu just under 80K.

I can't imagine brakes lasting me 200K but if you say so..... Seeing how the discs look like after 3-4 winters I can only imagine how they would look like after 10+ winters which would be what it would take me to get to or near 200K.

I could've probably pushed them few thousands more especially that they have a wear sensor but not worth to me since I will be traveling most coming weekends out ot town skiing and don't want to risk having brake issues in the middle of nowhere at night with my daughter in the car. Besides, I would have to get them done before May anyway for safety certification (buying off lease).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:16:43 pm by carcrazy »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: January 04, 2020, 03:21:02 pm »
My back brakes were probably done long before that.  I replaced them when they started making noise, and even then, it took me a month or two to actually do it.  The fronts were still quite good though.  Probably 40-50%.  I may have milked the rear a bit long.  I usually get 150,000+ out of a set.  Also, my drive is 2 stops at town speed, 2 at highway speed, minimal braking otherwise...not a lot of wear and tear. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: January 04, 2020, 03:22:50 pm »
My back brakes were probably done long before that.  I replaced them when they started making noise, and even then, it took me a month or two to actually do it.  The fronts were still quite good though.  Probably 40-50%.  I may have milked the rear a bit long.  I usually get 150,000+ out of a set.  Also, my drive is 2 stops at town speed, 2 at highway speed, minimal braking otherwise...not a lot of wear and tear.
If you had a hybrid, brakes would last you a lifetime...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11886 on: January 04, 2020, 03:31:19 pm »

Plus, city driving vs flat prairie hwy driving.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:14 pm »

Nope but I drive mostly local, with traffic lights every 500 m or so and traffic. It certainly doesn't help.
Speaking of Ford, on my Focus I did the first brake job around 40K IIRC and I was doing a lot more highway driving at the time. Mazda3 was before 40K and Mitsu just under 80K.

I can't imagine brakes lasting me 200K but if you say so..... Seeing how the discs look like after 3-4 winters I can only imagine how they would look like after 10+ winters which would be what it would take me to get to or near 200K.

I could've probably pushed them few thousands more especially that they have a wear sensor but not worth to me since I will be traveling most coming weekends out ot town skiing and don't want to risk having brake issues in the middle of nowhere at night with my daughter in the car. Besides, I would have to get them done before May anyway for safety certification (buying off lease).

That’s shocking!

My C-Max which now has 45k kms has barely used 20% of its brakes! At least according to the report I got from Ford during the last oil change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: January 04, 2020, 06:48:25 pm »

That’s shocking!

My C-Max which now has 45k kms has barely used 20% of its brakes! At least according to the report I got from Ford during the last oil change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno... shocking or not, this is my experience given my driving conditions. On the Focus I only replaced the pads and machined the rotors at an indy mechanic I know (at that point I knew I will return the car at the end of the lease). I was there when the mechanic took them off and he confirmed they were done. The rears I think had some left but I think he said something like I could've squeezed another 1000 km or so but I replaced them anyway at the same time to save another trip. Now, "done" to me doesn't mean when they are metal on metal so there was still some material left but barely.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #11889 on: January 04, 2020, 07:01:23 pm »
Yup, in Toronto you are going to go through front pads in approx 50,000 kms. Easily less if you have an auto trans and ride the brakes as you slow down. Rear drum brakes will last forever, but rear disc brake caliper slides usually seize and rotors score long before they are worn. The salt used locally kills them. If you get more than  four years out a set of rear pads and rotors in Toronto, you are doing well.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11890 on: January 05, 2020, 04:21:38 pm »
Flushed steering fluid on my Genesis. The process was a little messy but I'm happy that it's finally done and done right. I'm thinking to put up a guide in the Technical Questions  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11891 on: January 05, 2020, 06:11:26 pm »
Just like fuel economy, brake wear will be different for everybody. Didn't think that was very hard to understand.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11892 on: January 05, 2020, 09:26:38 pm »
Just like fuel economy, brake wear will be different for everybody. Didn't think that was very hard to understand.

Yeah, 50K on a set of pads isn’t that unusual for some cars that might start with smaller pads and then are driven in an all urban environment with harsh conditions.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: January 06, 2020, 06:40:11 am »
The other key thing related to brakes longevity in Toronto area, as it was mentioned before,  is the rusted rotors. After 3-4 winters they are fully rusted to the point where the metal  starts flaking off.

On the GTI, the fronts were fully rusted but the rears look ok still - specs of rust but not too bad. I can definitely keep them for another year at least based on how they look.

Anyways curious to see if the Made in Germany, "Z Coated" rotors from Zimmermann will last more than 4 winters in good conditions.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11894 on: January 10, 2020, 11:16:17 am »
found the block heater plug rolled and wrapped, neatly tucked beside the battery in the lexus....

whew..  now i can plug it in outside the garage, knowing my 2 sports cars are warm and cozy INSIDE the garage.

my wife will still not be impressed.  :o ;D ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11895 on: January 10, 2020, 11:18:42 am »
found the block heater plug rolled and wrapped, neatly tucked beside the battery in the lexus....

whew..  now i can plug it in outside the garage, knowing my 2 sports cars are warm and cozy INSIDE the garage.

Meh, the cost of a divorce is small compared to the satisfaction of owning two sports cars.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11896 on: January 10, 2020, 11:30:31 am »

Meh, the cost of a divorce is small compared to the satisfaction of owning two sports cars.

LOL.  the other day, apparently i was mumbling how much i love her in my dream.   i don't even remember having a dream.   might have been a nightmare.  :rofl:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: January 11, 2020, 06:51:38 pm »

I hate the rims on my Fairlady Z as they are chrome and at 20" too big for the car IMHO. I thought it would be easy to find replacements but while the bolt pattern is common the offset is not. Picked these up really cheaply. They are 18". I plan the paint the centre portion black while keep the outside and lip of the rim unpainted. The front tires I in good shape but the rears are done. I plan to buy a matching set of rears. Then sell the chrome rims.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11898 on: January 11, 2020, 08:37:22 pm »

I hate the rims on my Fairlady Z as they are chrome and at 20" too big for the car IMHO. I thought it would be easy to find replacements but while the bolt pattern is common the offset is not. Picked these up really cheaply. They are 18". I plan the paint the centre portion black while keep the outside and lip of the rim unpainted. The front tires I in good shape but the rears are done. I plan to buy a matching set of rears. Then sell the chrome rims.

These should work nicely

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=44YR8F1S3XL&tab=Sizes

Size: 245/40ZR18
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 97Y
UTQG: 220 AA A

$197.99
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile