Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014461 times)

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11840 on: December 20, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »
Got gas for the first time since November 14.  :o

Was it something you ate?  ;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: December 21, 2019, 06:40:52 pm »
Replaced my blower fan (was squeaky), cabin and engine air filters.

I'm also charging my battery. The car still has the original battery (in service date 2011)...I'm sure I'm on borrowed time with that one.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11842 on: December 24, 2019, 10:08:00 am »
last friday, took the SLK to work.
when i got home, used oil extractor to change oil.

extractor took out just over 7 liters.   replaced oil filter, and i put back in just under 7.5 liters.   it's REALLY difficult to do this without oil dipstick...   on yeah. there's no FACKING dipstick.
also, had to buy new set of Hex bits, because the oil filter needs a freaking 12 mm hex bit.  and local canadian tire doesn't sell just 1 12mm hex bit.  (it does, but it's 1$ less than a whole set)

changed engine air filter.   it looked filthy.

with plastic cover and air filter housing off, it doesn't look like the spark plug will not be too difficult at least.  that's good.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:32:17 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #11843 on: December 24, 2019, 12:40:54 pm »
not familiar with SLK's so a couple of dumb questions:
 - if there's no dipstick, through what opening did you extract the oil?
 - how did you know that 7.5 liters was the correct amount to put back in? specified in the manual?
 - how do you check oil level?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:07:50 pm by Golly »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11844 on: December 24, 2019, 01:36:58 pm »
That is some oddball oil filter, interesting. Wonder why so different than normal?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11845 on: December 24, 2019, 03:28:44 pm »
That is some oddball oil filter, interesting. Wonder why so different than normal?

Because FGC.  Everything has to be complicated and different because of superior German engineering.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11846 on: December 24, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »

Because FGC.  Everything has to be complicated and different because of superior German engineering.

Yup.

The rest of the world’s railways: ‘Let’s use diesel-electric locomotives where there aren’t any electrified lines.’

Germany: ‘Diesel-hydraulic is the only way to go.’
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11847 on: December 25, 2019, 11:47:26 am »
not familiar with SLK's so a couple of dumb questions:
 - if there's no dipstick, through what opening did you extract the oil?
 - how did you know that 7.5 liters was the correct amount to put back in? specified in the manual?
 - how do you check oil level?

There's still dipstick hole.   i think dealers actually have a stick to measure oil level quickly.
i took out 7.2L ish.    according to my slk forum research, oil capacity is 7.5 liters (or 8 quarts) with filter replacement, using extractor.  so i put in just under that.

the gauge cluster has option to measure oil.  but i have to run the engine and let it drain for 5 minutes before it tells me whether i have proper level of oil.   kind of sucks doing it this way. 

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11848 on: December 25, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
“Dipstick hole” is my new favourite insult.

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #11849 on: December 26, 2019, 09:13:32 pm »
Replaced the rear rotors and pads on the wifes Kia, with my son. Now for alot of you here this is childs play. For me at 68 it's the first time I have done any repairs to a car  other than simple lights air filters, etc. . My son does all his own repairs on his Jeep.

It started when I was driving my son home from the airport the other day and mentioned I had the Kia in for service at the dealership and they said the rear rotors and pads needed replacing, they gave me a quote of $636, I declined.  I was going to take it to my local indie, but my son  said its real simple and he would do them while he was home.  So we picked up pads, rotors, wire brushes, locktite, grease and brake cleaner for $285.

Spent an hour and a half and they were done. I enjoyed it and it was a fun experience working together with my son :D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #11850 on: December 26, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:18:33 pm by valuator »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: December 26, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »
Replaced the rear rotors and pads on the wifes Kia, with my son. Now for alot of you here this is childs play. For me at 68 it's the first time I have done any repairs to a car  other than simple lights air filters, etc. . My son does all his own repairs on his Jeep.

It started when I was driving my son home from the airport the other day and mentioned I had the Kia in for service at the dealership and they said the rear rotors and pads needed replacing, they gave me a quote of $636, I declined.  I was going to take it to my local indie, but my son  said its real simple and he would do them while he was home.  So we picked up pads, rotors, wire brushes, locktite, grease and brake cleaner for $285.

Spent an hour and a half and they were done. I enjoyed it and it was a fun experience working together with my son :D
That's really great, man. Truly.

I think most could do this...and most are surprised at the relative simplicity of doing it.

I'd really like to know more...did you think it was hard? Easy? Doable?

Could you do it again on your own?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: December 27, 2019, 11:40:02 am »

That's really great, man. Truly.

I think most could do this...and most are surprised at the relative simplicity of doing it.

I'd really like to know more...did you think it was hard? Easy? Doable?

Could you do it again on your own?

Thanks Ron..

Your right, going in I didn't have any idea what it took. I knew what pads, rotors, calipers and sliders were but not how easily they went together.

I was surprised at the simplicity of the set up. two bolts to take of the caliper off and two to take it apart.  I didn't realize sliders were such a simple thing either, I thought they has springs and other things. My son did most of the work I was his assistant, other than cleaning and greasing every thing, he said the key is to get the clips in without bending them and then making sure the pads are oriented correctly.

I did enjoy doing it, but most of that was the father son thing and yes I think I could do it again on my own. I would diffidently do it again with him but he lives in Edmonton. Also not sure I would want to muck around with the Audi, I'm sure the Germans must complicate things  ;D.

I was a fun experience, even for an old guy like me :D.

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: December 27, 2019, 11:45:39 am »
Excellent Allen.
Great way to spend time with your son.

I'm not sure which Kia you have but if there's a next time a decent rear brake kit (rotors /pads) for a Soul is $96 on Rock Auto.

Careener

Thanks for the tip it was a spur of the moment thing so I bought them a PartSource, Pro-Series OE+, the ceramic pads were $79.99 and the coated rotors were $149.98.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11854 on: December 27, 2019, 11:51:56 am »

Also not sure I would want to muck around with the Audi, I'm sure the Germans must complicate things  ;D.

Sometimes the better brakes are actually easier to work on.  My Porsches don't have sliders, they have pistons on each side.   To change pads you just punch out some steel pins, replace pads and put the pins back in. 
Easy to do in the pits while changing tires.
Mr Pickypants

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: December 27, 2019, 12:09:02 pm »

Also not sure I would want to muck around with the Audi, I'm sure the Germans must complicate things  ;D.

Sometimes the better brakes are actually easier to work on.  My Porsches don't have sliders, they have pistons on each side.   To change pads you just punch out some steel pins, replace pads and put the pins back in. 

i can ALMOST guarantee you the Audi would have sliding pins. (of course, depending on the model, but most Audis seem to be sliding pin variety.)

and if that is the case, than i can ALSO guarantee, it won't be as easy, since you will need spinning brake piston pusher tool(caliper piston compressor) to reset the caliper pistons and they can be right pain in the a$$ without air/electric impact wrench.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11856 on: December 27, 2019, 03:19:24 pm »

i can ALMOST guarantee you the Audi would have sliding pins. (of course, depending on the model, but most Audis seem to be sliding pin variety.)

and if that is the case, than i can ALSO guarantee, it won't be as easy, since you will need spinning brake piston pusher tool(caliper piston compressor) to reset the caliper pistons and they can be right pain in the a$$ without air/electric impact wrench.

Those spinning pistons are going the way of the Dodo and being replaced by smaller drum brakes inside the hub for e-brakes.
Dunno what's on a base-ish A4, but AFAIK most anything bigger, or an S4, will have opposed piston calipers

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #11857 on: December 27, 2019, 07:09:03 pm »

Those spinning pistons are going the way of the Dodo and being replaced by smaller drum brakes inside the hub for e-brakes.
Dunno what's on a base-ish A4, but AFAIK most anything bigger, or an S4, will have opposed piston calipers
Actually most are going the other way with the more vehicles coming with electric park/emergency brake. Every maker seems to have a different way to disable that feature so the piston can be pushed back in.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: December 28, 2019, 09:56:50 am »

Actually most are going the other way with the more vehicles coming with electric park/emergency brake. Every maker seems to have a different way to disable that feature so the piston can be pushed back in.

I've wondered about those,  do they use the regular caliper?   Are they mechanical, hydraulic or electric?

3 of my cars use the smaller drums inside the hub.
I don't get to work on anything new, just my old junk

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11859 on: December 28, 2019, 10:43:42 am »
Did the DSG service and an oil change on the GTI. Car just crossed 50K and no issues. Breaks are next on the to do list for maintenance.