Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014633 times)

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11780 on: November 13, 2019, 02:58:08 pm »
Are AGM batteries worth the extra cost?

We'll see, it was $20 off and still about $50-60 more than a plain lead-acid.  5-year replacement warranty on AGM is nicer

Came to $277 after returning a core and adding taxes

BTW are you going to back up power when doing the battery swap?

There's a boost/charging point under the hood, I'm hooking a booster pack there.
In a Cayenne the battery is under the driver's seat.
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11781 on: November 13, 2019, 04:25:10 pm »
Are AGM batteries worth the extra cost?

We'll see, it was $20 off and still about $50-60 more than a plain lead-acid.  5-year replacement warranty on AGM is nicer

Came to $277 after returning a core and adding taxes

BTW are you going to back up power when doing the battery swap?

There's a boost/charging point under the hood, I'm hooking a booster pack there.
In a Cayenne the battery is under the driver's seat.

Good design. If all goes well it will likely save you a trip to the dealer, that is unless some battery "registration" is needed like in case of modern BMWs. Even in that case a good indie would know how to do it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11782 on: November 13, 2019, 07:03:52 pm »
Oil and filter on the Corolla today, had the Highlanders tailgate open for a bit as I had the box of oil in it. Went to start the HL, and it was completely dead. So off to Costco for a new battery for the HL.  Surprised the Toyota battery only lasted 8 years in the Highlander, but that's still more than acceptable life.

Noticed that the WS-90s on the Corolla were great on the slushy roads we have today thanks to 4C and recent snow. Blizzaks are usually marginal in slush, this was a nice surprise.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11783 on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:49 pm »
My alternator started making a loud whining noise.  Check the OBD diagnostics and sure enough..at idle...11.xx volts.  Alternator on the way out IMO.  Drove it for 2 days like this.  I joked with IQ that her Audi infected me car with something.   :rofl: :rofl2:

So I order an alternator.  I pick up the alternator.  I put it in the trunk.  I start the car.  No alternator whine.  I kid you not.  I check the diagnostics...13.8-14.0v at idle.

WTF?

I still think the alternator is on the way out...but am a little stupefied that a bad alternator turned good again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:18:24 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11784 on: November 13, 2019, 07:15:31 pm »
Oil and filter on the Corolla today, had the Highlanders tailgate open for a bit as I had the box of oil in it. Went to start the HL, and it was completely dead. So off to Costco for a new battery for the HL.  Surprised the Toyota battery only lasted 8 years in the Highlander, but that's still more than acceptable life.

Noticed that the WS-90s on the Corolla were great on the slushy roads we have today thanks to 4C and recent snow. Blizzaks are usually marginal in slush, this was a nice surprise.

I've heard that Toyota batteries are quite bad, but still, 8 years is nothing is ever complain about.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: November 13, 2019, 07:17:11 pm »
My alternator started making aloud whining noise.  Check the OBD diagnostics and sure enough..at idle...11.xx volts.  Alternator on the way out IMO.  Drove it for 2 days like this.  I joked with IQ that her Audi infected me car with something.   :rofl: :rofl2:

So I order an alternator.  I pick up the alternator.  I put it in the trunk.  I start the car.  No alternator whine.  I kid you not.  I check the diagnostics...13.8-14.0v at idle.

WTF?

I still think the alternator is on the way out...but am a little stupefied that a bad alternator turned good again.

As long as you keep the new alternator in the trunk, you'll probably never have to change it over. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11786 on: November 13, 2019, 07:39:10 pm »
Surprised the Toyota battery only lasted 8 years in the Highlander, but that's still more than acceptable life.

For a car battery anything over 5 years is a bonus

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: November 13, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »
Not yet...and second thoughts now (more later)...but went to the Ford dealer to price out winter tires.
Blizzak WS09 $636 + $125 install (Holy shyte! $31/tire!!  :o :o :o) + $15 disposal fee + $40 road hazard (hard pass) + $95 4 wheel alignment (mild pass).  Taxes all in $1020
Checked Costco...$640 same tires, $80 install, $15 fee, $3.99/tire for TPMS (pass off, I don't need them replaced or checked or hooked back up again  ::) - not even sure they have them installed) & don't know what else they'd charge...but it's an hour + drive so would be a wash compared to the local Ford dealer (assuming the warranty and alignment are removed or removable).

They also priced out:
Firestone Winterforce (maybe that's what I had before) - $872 all in.
Hankook I Pike RS W419s for $1011 all in incl the 4 wheel alignment etc.  So I can save $130 skipping the BS warranty and the alignment, though that wouldn't hurt to do probably.  Been a few years.

And...2nd thoughts...if my left side has 7-8/32nds...and the right side is 4-5/32nds...maybe I'll swap one left to the right front, and front to back...and be good for one more winter.  And find more right turns, Clyde.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11788 on: November 14, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »
Had my wife's winters put on... my shop forgot about it yesterday, so I told them to take their time and took an alfa giulia home instead... while an interesting little car... too damn quirky with the infotainment. annoyed me. very big difference in the driving style in the DNA thinger though
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11789 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:43 pm »
My alternator started making aloud whining noise.  Check the OBD diagnostics and sure enough..at idle...11.xx volts.  Alternator on the way out IMO.  Drove it for 2 days like this.  I joked with IQ that her Audi infected me car with something.   :rofl: :rofl2:

WTF?

As long as you keep the new alternator in the trunk, you'll probably never have to change it over.

:rofl2:  Return it. Get stranded. Call a tow truck. Order it again. Check the voltage. Repeat  :P

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11790 on: November 15, 2019, 05:07:16 am »
Sold it. Bye bye Mini.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11791 on: November 15, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
Winter shoes on the SC today.

Alloys for Vmango!

Nice.  So what's it like to drive compared to the LS - both in winter and generally? 
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:58 am »
Winter shoes on the SC today.

Alloys for Vmango!

Nice.  So what's it like to drive compared to the LS - both in winter and generally?

My guess would be shorter wheelbase so it's more tail happy. RE. more fun!!!!

LOL, ever driven a short wheelbase JEEP TJ or Wrangler in the snow?    I have.  They are definitely not 'beginner' winter vehicles (at least the TJ isn't, because of a lack of traction/stability control).

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11793 on: November 15, 2019, 09:54:58 am »
^^ Years ago not long after i first started driving i drove a friend's 1970's era Toyota FJ40 Diesel home during a snowstorm and did 2 360s while trying to turn into my driveway.  :o  That was my intro.  :P

Years later I watched another guy do the same thing in his FJ40 while trying to pull into our condo driveway.  Those things were scary on road in the snow.  They were great off-road, downright scary on-road. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11794 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:23 pm »
the stories I get from people who used to have pacers... apparently they are just a square as far as the footprint goes, so once a spin starts, it just keeps going. good thing it isn't my winter beater.

wife still wants my jeep to deliver some "mom group" stuff, so I'm still in the renegade... had the fuel economy down to 6.2 this morning... I actually thought, "maybe I should drive this all the time and save 50% on fuel"... but I've come to my senses... I'm willing to pay more to drive my jeep.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11795 on: November 15, 2019, 01:48:33 pm »
the stories I get from people who used to have pacers... apparently they are just a square as far as the footprint goes, so once a spin starts, it just keeps going. good thing it isn't my winter beater.

wife still wants my jeep to deliver some "mom group" stuff, so I'm still in the renegade... had the fuel economy down to 6.2 this morning... I actually thought, "maybe I should drive this all the time and save 50% on fuel"... but I've come to my senses... I'm willing to pay more to drive my jeep.

:fiver:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: November 15, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »

I've driven a long succession of Lexus V8/RWD in the snow and they're all easy, predictable and safe. No great differences among them apart from ground clearance. No real insight here, sorry! With quality winters, they drive as well as anything IMO. IQ HATES the winter..and she always got along fine in her IS if that's any indication of winter competence. Prior, she had never driven a RWD in the snow.

Now in general? The LS is an absolute vault, in every way. While the SC was referred to by the president as the "jewel" of the Lexus line up, there's little doubt the LS is the flagship. Every option under the sun. Solid, solid, solid.

The SC is more stylish. The interior I prefer in the SC (lots more wood). The SC is extremely quiet..for the most part on par with the LS I'd say. However, the body isn't quite a solid. The LS feels like its hewn from a single piece of granite. And the SC doesn't..no surprise given its a rag top. There's a bit of cowl shake but only in limited circumstances. But I can detect it. For the most part, it feels like an LS coupe.

I do miss some of the options and convenience features in the LS for sure...I was very fond of the self closing doors for whatever reason. The laser cruise was incredible. I think the Levinson stereo has a bit more punch in the SC maybe..smaller interior space is likely why.

But the top down motoring in the SC is VERY pleasing for me. With top down and windows up, it's incredibly quiet...weird almost. Normal voice conversion, minimal if any buffeting. It's really nice. Feels like a special, expensive car. Driving a picturesque route in the LS is great. With the top down in the SC, it's better.

At this moment in time, I prefer the SC..I really like top down..but top up you don't suffer the consequences of most tag tops. I know I'm repeating myself..but it's an LS coupe to me.

With either car, it's just a fantastic place to spend time during the daily commute. Coddling and quality.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11797 on: November 15, 2019, 09:30:56 pm »
^^^ Awesome feedback, awesome car.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11798 on: November 16, 2019, 06:53:39 pm »
Finally got the 951 put away, safe & sound! Roads were clear & dry, but the tires were like hockey pucks. There was a bit of snow on the driveway into the barn & the summers were interesting to say the least, but slow & steady worked.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11799 on: November 16, 2019, 06:59:03 pm »
Finally got the 951 put away, safe & sound! Roads were clear & dry, but the tires were like hockey pucks. There was a bit of snow on the driveway into the barn & the summers were interesting to say the least, but slow & steady worked.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
glad you made it safe, yeah my IS on its summers did a 180 on my street as I tried turning around...