Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015283 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11480 on: August 08, 2019, 04:14:58 pm »
Bring 2013 Volt to dealer early this morning for (free) battery software update, customer satisfaction they call it, before I transfer the Volt to my son.

Stopped by nearly IKEA to plug it one hour, walked second floor showroom, buy a pack of "PATAR" (ground press coffee, dark roast, organic) & USB cable for 2019 Volt, back to home.

Lunch at noon, then left with the 2019 Volt direction of Montréal's A25 office to obtain a toll bridge transponder, 'cause for now, it still free for green plate vehicle.

170 km total with the 2 Volt, no gas involved, only electrons, it was a good day ;D

Now: Tuxmat to install the 2019 Volt, nice floor mats I must say.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:34:39 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11481 on: August 08, 2019, 07:00:27 pm »
Alfa got an exhaust upgrade...mid pipe delete - sounds even better now. The Mini meanwhile ate its flex pipe on the header, massive hole. Now looking for a used OEM one to make all the badness stop...

Update: Found a good used one with less than 60k on it. Installed next week. Fingers crossed that is it for the Mini repairs for at least a month  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:25:26 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11482 on: August 09, 2019, 09:26:42 am »
Your daughter just out for a visit?  Good for you!   :thumbup:

Yeah, she came out for a few weeks. Her plan at the moment is to do university here after she finishes grade 12 in NB. 

We're heading back to NB for the last two weeks of August.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11483 on: August 09, 2019, 07:30:55 pm »
Had a lot of “fun” in the Miata. Was out on a narrow country road and there’s suddenly a big “bang” noise.

Passenger rear tire blew out. Ugh.

Pull over to change it. Not sure how, but I have the identical looking wheel wrench from the Subaru in it. Oh crap!  Thankfully I know the kid has a non-OE wrench as well and so she’s fine. (She’s in Whistler) but I’m stranded.

I call CAA. They don’t carry wheel wrenches so probably won’t be able to help me change the tire but can tow the car. Whatever. I just want off this narrow highway. They’re going to be about an hour. Fine.

Then about 10 minutes later a young fellow pulls up in a pick up and asks if I need help. I ask if he might have a 22mm wrench.

He turns on flashing lights on the roof of his truck, gets out a floor jack and a 22mm on a handle and on about 60 seconds my spare is on. Damn!!

Then to add insult to injury the miatas battery is dead. DA HELL?

He has a booster pack out before I can actually curse and I’m on my way. I call CAA and cancel the call. I drive home and tomorrow I’ll take the tire in and see if it’s repairable.

Faith in humanity restored. I’m glad I pull over to help people because I seem to have accrued some karma for it.

And I think the Miata might need a new battery too.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11484 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:52 pm »
Had a lot of “fun” in the Miata. Was out on a narrow country road and there’s suddenly a big “bang” noise.

Pull over to change it. Not sure how, but I have the identical looking wheel wrench from the Subaru in it. Oh crap!  Thankfully I know the kid has a non-OE wrench as well and so she’s fine. (She’s in Whistler) but I’m stranded.

I call CAA. They don’t carry wheel wrenches so probably won’t be able to help me change the tire but can tow the car. Whatever. I just want off this narrow highway. They’re going to be about an hour. Fine.

Then about 10 minutes later a young fellow pulls up in a pick up and asks if I need help. I ask if he might have a 22mm wrench.

He turns on flashing lights on the roof of his truck, gets out a floor jack and a 22mm on a handle and on about 60 seconds my spare is on. Damn!!

He has a booster pack out before I can actually curse and I’m on my way. I call CAA and cancel the call. I drive home and tomorrow I’ll take the tire in and see if it’s repairable.

Faith in humanity restored. I’m glad I pull over to help people because I seem to have accrued some karma for it.

If it went "Bang", it's not repairable.

I've been doing donuts in the parking lot at work every time I leave trying to burn off my old rubber, think I'm about there to replace them before they blow too.
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11485 on: August 09, 2019, 07:49:00 pm »
The tires are getting on anyway so I might just replace them regardless.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11486 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:10 pm »
^I have a new set of Dunlop DZ102 to go  on,  I'll report on how I like 'em later, but the price can't be beat.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
The tire is done for. I rode over something substantial and there’s a chunk missing from the tread. I can fit my finger through the hole!!  Yikes!  The car was perfectly controllable despite the tire going flat catastrophically.

Now to find some tiny 14” tires...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11488 on: August 09, 2019, 11:48:14 pm »

Wow, sounds like that guy was well prepared...I always carry a full set of tools in my cars, but I've been stuck without them in press cars and it sucks.

As for me, the Escalade made it's second trip of the summer to Grand Bend and back...400kms, loaded down with Lord knows what. Rolled 258,000kms. Really impressed with the durability of it...it takes a beating with Mrs.Firm and the baby, but mechanically and cosmetically is holding up extremely well.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: August 09, 2019, 11:55:14 pm »
^Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec,
 or get 15" and choice

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #11490 on: August 10, 2019, 12:18:25 am »

Your Miata has 22mm wheel nuts??
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: August 10, 2019, 12:28:17 am »
She sure does.  Bigger than the Highlanders!

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #11492 on: August 10, 2019, 09:44:59 am »
Used a cargo bag along with the cheap generic crossbars from Amazon. It worked out pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: August 10, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
Filled the 915 up with lube, using Kendall stuff for big trucks.   Looks like it's not leaky.

Had to countersink and tap two larger plug holes as the originals were stripped (you can see the heads right in the middle).  The screws are only for holding in springs and detents for the interlocks and are only about 10mm long, they don't have to be very tight, but someone didn't know that...

Now that that's ready, I can proceed with some maintenance of this part.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: August 10, 2019, 11:35:34 am »
Too bad G50s are priced like they’re made of unicorn hair and gold.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: August 10, 2019, 01:23:34 pm »
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F2CP2S6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A21M3AKBXIEZ7V&psc=1

What do you think?  Should I give them a try?  Super cheap

Wait, I just found some...but there's only 2...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:05 am »
The Sonic has had a banging front end for years.  Strut mounts probably.  Every little bump and it would knock about like all the bolts were loose and/or the rubber bushing was worn down to paper.  Then, Saturday evening we're coming back from the pool and as I turn out of the parking lot it makes this awful crunching noise like something broke and went through a set of gears...I kept driving.  Didn't see anything in the mirror that would suggest something fell off...fack it.  Not in the mood to go back, or care.

Today, leaving for work, and all the expansion joints that normally cause the car to make sounds like the front end is about to fall off...are gone (sounds, not the expansion joints...I didn't major in anything except the use of ()'s).  Quiet as a church mouse.  Like new.  So...WTF?  What could have been making noise...and now, isn't? I should put it up on the ramps...but, what if I find something?  Drives, steers, brakes...all like it's supposed to.  Why fix what's broker that doesn't sound broke anymore??  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11497 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:51 pm »
I cleaned the Sonata's throttle body Thursday evening.  When I restarted the car, it was idling around 1250 rpm, would stumble when I stepped on the gas and threw three codes (throttle/pedal position sensor related).  Cleared the codes and then it was idling around 650 rpm and responded well to a throttle blip.  Hopefully, it will cold idle smoothly first thing in the morning.

Front Before

Front After

Back Before

Back After

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: August 16, 2019, 09:06:23 am »
So, what does that mean?  You're not getting it hot enough?  Driving too much like a grandma?  Maybe you do need to go to Gimli and burn some carbons out of the car.   They like that.  (the car that is)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11499 on: August 16, 2019, 10:56:23 am »
So, what does that mean?  You're not getting it hot enough?  Driving too much like a grandma?  Maybe you do need to go to Gimli and burn some carbons out of the car.   They like that.  (the car that is)

Just an unfortunate result of driving.  I noticed a slightly erratic idle when cold.  It was smoother this morning.