Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015465 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11420 on: July 11, 2019, 05:50:06 pm »
Thanks for the concern guys.

Mini would not start at all today. Not even a click or any dash lights. Wouldnt even unlock. Battery is brand new and fully charged - checked with my booster. Grounds are good and cables are tight. Car ran perfectly fine and strong before this, despite at least 3 engine codes, a leaky rear main seal, and failing ABS/steering wheel position sensors. Car drove great.

Had trouble starting a few times in the last week because of the failing camshaft position sensor. Was putting off until I could get car in. Now it is in, so the sensor is being replaced along with a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG list of other things that need doing because they are broken, or due for maintenance. This is going to hurt. Yes guys, pile on and say "I told you so." I still love driving the car, that is the problem. Its smiles per mile are off the charts, but boy is it a nightmare in terms of niggling things breaking.

No IS300s with a stick that I can see. What about a GS460h with 270k on it? Still a good car?

2002-2005 Lexus IS300 were available with a stick...and came with the legendary 2JZ...(and LSD).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #11421 on: July 11, 2019, 05:52:45 pm »

Mini would not start at all today. Not even a click or any dash lights. Wouldnt even unlock. Battery is brand new and fully charged - checked with my booster. Grounds are good and cables are tight. Car ran perfectly fine and strong before this, despite at least 3 engine codes, a leaky rear main seal, and failing ABS/steering wheel position sensors. Car drove great.

Had trouble starting a few times in the last week because of the failing camshaft position sensor. Was putting off until I could get car in. Now it is in, so the sensor is being replaced along with a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG list of other things that need doing because they are broken, or due for maintenance. This is going to hurt. Yes guys, pile on and say "I told you so." I still love driving the car, that is the problem. Its smiles per mile are off the charts, but boy is it a nightmare in terms of niggling things breaking.

No IS300s with a stick that I can see. What about a GS460h with 270k on it? Still a good car?

2002-2005 Lexus IS300 were available with a stick...and came with the legendary 2JZ...(and LSD).
You're a tease!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: July 11, 2019, 05:53:44 pm »

You're a tease!  :rofl2:

We have one in our garage...which is why I know they exist.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11423 on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this seems to me to be a solvable problem. If something works one day and not the next, then it seems to be a single problem. Yes, there is always that problem that it could be a several thousand dollar part worth more than the car, but that seems unlikely. Rather than writing off the car, it may be worth your while to use Uber for a week or so until this is resolved. Chances are repairing the Mini will be much cheaper than buying a another car.
Oh I agree with you. I said I want a Lexus...not that I am getting one.  ;D

It probably is an ECU fuse or something stupid like that. Don't care what it is, I gave it to the shop along with a long list of other problems for them to solve and give me back a fixed car. I am saving on the labour because of my Ottawa Mini Club association, and I get cost on parts because of my job. I just don't have the time to do any of the work myself or the  patience to diagnose another car with electrical funny things (Saab).
Crappy buddy, hopefully they fix it fully & it doesn't cost you too much. It is a great driving car!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11424 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:15 am »
You really need a reliable vehicle as a stable mate to the quirky one.  I often joke the only way to have a Land Rover in the garage is to have a Honda parked next to it. I. I refer to the  Ridgeline as the "parts runner" for my Land Rover. Curiously though the joking has worked as the Rover has not been bad at all... If you have reliable transportation then it makes owning the temperamental but loveable beast much more tolerable. A Betty and Veronica situation.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11425 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:50 am »
Yup, having an Alfa and a 13 year old Mini as the only two vehicles in a stable is madness. 

Chaos, you're allowed to have a Corolla as your beater, because you have the Alfa as a weekend car.  You won't lose your car enthusiast card, I promise.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: July 12, 2019, 10:25:14 am »
I'm here for the Archie reference.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: July 12, 2019, 11:18:32 am »
Archie had it figured out.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11428 on: July 12, 2019, 12:21:59 pm »

Archie drove a broken down jalopy.

Reggie drove a red convertible.
Mr Pickypants

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11429 on: July 12, 2019, 12:38:41 pm »

Archie also had a red convertible. :P

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #11430 on: July 12, 2019, 01:22:59 pm »
Installed the Ford Racing Power Pack 2 last week.  (GT350 throttle body + airbox + tune) Nice bump in mid-range torque.  Spins up the rear tires a little easier now.  :)  Not as cost effective as a tune for a turbo motor, but pretty good for NA. 

MotoIQ's write-up here: https://motoiq.com/tested-ford-mustang-gt-power-packs-1-3/5/

"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11431 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »
Oh, an actual cold air intake as opposed to the Fast and Furious crowd that love to dangle the air filter in front of their ebay exhaust manifold on their Civic. Nice work!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11432 on: July 12, 2019, 08:02:37 pm »
951 had a flat rear on Wednesday morning,  filled it with air that morning to just get it off the wheel. Wednesday night when I got home it was down again so I jacked it up & put a jack stand under it to hold it up. Finally got to it tonight after dinner. Found a 3" screw in it that I'm guessing may have fell outta the recycling bin at the end of my driveway, fack me!! Put a patch in it now, will see if it holds, if not I'll order a new set of rears as these are a bit tired from being on the front for the past 5yrs or so.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11433 on: July 12, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »

Archie also had a red convertible. :P

Meh, I think Archie's jalopy was a Ford  :rofl:   

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11434 on: July 12, 2019, 09:02:04 pm »
Yup, having an Alfa and a 13 year old Mini as the only two vehicles in a stable is madness. 

Chaos, you're allowed to have a Corolla as your beater, because you have the Alfa as a weekend car.  You won't lose your car enthusiast card, I promise.
Yes I am quite mad. Driving thrills at all costs, and that cost is sometimes the cars break. First time I have had a car lame and undrivable though, even my Saab with a busted main ECU fuse still kinda went down the road...

I hear you on the stablemates thing though. I have committed to replacing the Mini when it is due (which might not be long, we will see) with probably a Lexus. Those do not break. I might get nerdy about reliability and built quality like rrocket et al. around here! Maybe an IS300 with a stick, or maybe a GS450h?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11435 on: July 12, 2019, 09:09:24 pm »
Update on Mini:

It is power steering fan, and it is draining the battery dead. Fan runs, pump runs even after engine off. Some temp switch or something is stuck. That is as far as the shop got.

The shop also refuses to install any of my supplied parts (even genuine Mini ones), so diag is all they will be doing, then I will send the car elsewhere to have the large amount of work done. I get cost on parts, I am not going to pay crazy markups.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11436 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:09 pm »
I had a very similar issue with my Mazda3 - the radiator fan would not shut off after turning off the car and drained the (brand new) battery.
I recall it was a quite expensive repair - around $1200 and it happened just when I was ready to put the car up for sale.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11437 on: July 13, 2019, 09:36:17 am »
Took it in for it’s annual service.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: July 14, 2019, 07:32:28 am »
The shop also refuses to install any of my supplied parts (even genuine Mini ones)

What?!?!  :think:  Who da funk they think they are? Sheesh...guess when you live in a highly populated area hey can do that.  My indie guy doesn't care at all if you bring him Rock Auto stuff...in fact he'll tell you you're better off getting your parts elsewhere as he can't beat those prices.  He'll even give you a parts list.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: July 14, 2019, 10:35:22 pm »
The shop also refuses to install any of my supplied parts (even genuine Mini ones)

What?!?!  :think:  Who da funk they think they are? Sheesh...guess when you live in a highly populated area hey can do that.  My indie guy doesn't care at all if you bring him Rock Auto stuff...in fact he'll tell you you're better off getting your parts elsewhere as he can't beat those prices.  He'll even give you a parts list.

My indy gives a two year warranty on any parts they supply and install. They will happily instal supplied parts but no warranty.