Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015227 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11380 on: July 04, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »
My home parkade has been undergoing repairs for the past couple weeks and a lot of dust has been created. This is my car after sitting for a week while I was in Arizona.  A trip to the car wash is in order this evening.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: July 04, 2019, 10:05:49 pm »
Next time scrawl the obligatory "wash me" on the windshield before snapping the pic!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: July 04, 2019, 10:17:59 pm »
“If only my wife was this dirty”

Hmmm...not quite dirty enough.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11383 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:48 pm »
“If only my wife was this dirty”
Good times.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: July 04, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »
Heh...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11385 on: July 04, 2019, 11:28:30 pm »
Replaced the O2 sensors for bank 2 on the Outlander and my perception is that the engine runs much smoother than before.  I hope this takes care of the intermittent CEL condition for good.

The sensors came out without a fight and I got away with only one hour labor. Can't say the same for the manifold cover which I intended to replace but the bolts were seized so I ended up leaving it alone.

Ordering the sensors (same NGK/NTK as OEM) from RockAuto saved me  $1000 or so. Happy camper!

Next I have to find the time to do  a full exterior detailing job ....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:37:50 pm by carcrazy »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11386 on: July 05, 2019, 08:49:24 am »

Hilarious was this cow blocking the way. Zero fcks given about cars going by!

Haha, reminds me of a couple of years ago when my buddy and I were driving back from his woodlot way out in the middle of nowwhere and we see a Llama trotting down the roadside.  ;D  They are a strange looking beast to see out in the wild.  He never paid any attention to us either. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11387 on: July 05, 2019, 08:56:56 am »
Back when I had my YJ, LadyO and I had driven way out some logging road in Carlton county. When we got to the woodyard, a couple of enormous work horses wandered over and stuck their heads in the car looking for snacks. I think we did happen to have a couple of apples in our lunch kit. After the apples and a scratch on the nose, they wandered back into the shade.

We later found out that the cut was being done by an old fellow who had gotten rid of his skidders and did it more as a hobby. He'd leave the horses there unattended, and they looked after themselves in off hours.   
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: July 05, 2019, 11:43:06 am »
Have heard a rattle in the front end of the truck last couple of weeks.Today decided to investigate. Discovered front swaybar endlink driver side no longer attached to the lower control arm. So replaced them. Trouble is now, nice shiny parts on front end don't match all the crud that's on there now. ;D

My pictures never turn out correctly.  :-\  What a luddite. I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:46:48 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: July 05, 2019, 11:11:41 pm »
Replaced all four struts and shocks on my VW Mk5 (although my youngest has claimed it for herself).
Rears were no issue-and they were both leaking bad.

While replacing the fronts I noticed all four cv boots had split so they also had to go. Since I had no idea how long they were leaking I picked up new axles.
But not so simple! I fought the axles and they fought back! Passenger side went smooth and was done in under an hour. Drivers side inner cv wouldn't release no matter what I tried. Spend three hours and pulled out every prybar I had until I tapped out. So I searched YouTube for creative solutions and came across the vise grip slide hammer trick.
Can't post external links but search for TobyjTWUVMw and you will see my inspiration via Youtube.
For less than $8 at Princess Auto for a ready rod that threaded into the adjuster end of the vise grips I made one up. Clamped on and two taps and 10 seconds later it was out!

Just as I was about to claim victory over German engineering I got a text from my wife who was in Jasper with her mom in the E550.
Seems that the dreaded red battery warning light reared it's ugly head. She made it back to Calgary safely but just as one Germanic hill was climbed I was faced with another. Unfortunately I only saw the first line of her text-in Jasper.
So I didn't see the rest of the text-Battery light came on??Is this a concern!? Guess I was too POd to fully read a text that I thought was how much fun she was having in the mountains.
Well I drove it with no issues the next day but on my way home I too was staring at an angry red warning battery. Hmmm. Re-read the full text and my heart sank. I guess that it did sound louder than normal.
Growling alternator removal on the forecast!

Will probably look into a local rebuild rather than a replacement (most I see are rebuilt anyway).
The Rabbit needs a proper wheel alignment so we are kind of down to one car (the Wrangler) but the Rabbit did get me to the liquor store for tonight.

I am keeping that damn inner cv joint as a constant reminder that if all else fails and sh*t aint working that I should stop, grab a cold one and spend time online researching my issue.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11390 on: July 05, 2019, 11:16:21 pm »
Replaced all four struts and shocks on my VW Mk5 (although my youngest has claimed it for herself).
Rears were no issue-and they were both leaking bad.

While replacing the fronts I noticed all four cv boots had split so they also had to go. Since I had no idea how long they were leaking I picked up new axles.
But not so simple! I fought the axles and they fought back! Passenger side went smooth and was done in under an hour. Drivers side inner cv wouldn't release no matter what I tried. Spend three hours and pulled out every prybar I had until I tapped out. So I searched YouTube for creative solutions and came across the vise grip slide hammer trick.
Can't post external links but search for TobyjTWUVMw and you will see my inspiration via Youtube.
For less than $8 at Princess Auto for a ready rod that threaded into the adjuster end of the vise grips I made one up. Clamped on and two taps and 10 seconds later it was out!

Just as I was about to claim victory over German engineering I got a text from my wife who was in Jasper with her mom in the E550.
Seems that the dreaded red battery warning light reared it's ugly head. She made it back to Calgary safely but just as one Germanic hill was climbed I was faced with another. Unfortunately I only saw the first line of her text-in Jasper.
So I didn't see the rest of the text-Battery light came on??Is this a concern!? Guess I was too POd to fully read a text that I thought was how much fun she was having in the mountains.
Well I drove it with no issues the next day but on my way home I too was staring at an angry red warning battery. Hmmm. Re-read the full text and my heart sank. I guess that it did sound louder than normal.
Growling alternator removal on the forecast!

Will probably look into a local rebuild rather than a replacement (most I see are rebuilt anyway).
The Rabbit needs a proper wheel alignment so we are kind of down to one car (the Wrangler) but the Rabbit did get me to the liquor store for tonight.

I am keeping that damn inner cv joint as a constant reminder that if all else fails and sh*t aint working that I should stop, grab a cold one and spend time online researching my issue.

Impressive work, those CV axles can really suck. That vice grip slide hammer thing looks interesting, I am gunna check it out.

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: July 05, 2019, 11:28:44 pm »
If you look closely you can see a groove on the joint which gives the vise grips a place to really clamp on. That is the key-elsewise it can easily slide off.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: July 08, 2019, 06:21:38 pm »
Guys on the job site load it for you?   :stick:   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11393 on: July 08, 2019, 06:56:56 pm »
Got a buddy at a sawmill?  Those are the outer pieces of tree that are otherwise waste when a tree is turned into dimensional lumber.

I get unlimited endcuts of kiln-dried SPF from my work.  Once I had one of the forklift drivers dump the bin right into the back of my Ranger, and an errant piece of wood fell funny and dented the outer bed.   Now I just fill a few boxes when I want wood.

The best part is because it is kiln dried, and basically just lumber off-cuts, I can transport it anywhere I want without having to worry about spreading pests.  Also it lights real well.  I usually don't need any kindling.  Just build a log cabin around my paper, and away I go.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11394 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »
So.....that's a yes then? :rofl:
Railton

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11395 on: July 08, 2019, 07:48:28 pm »
Put the truck to work

That is a pretty big load for a Ford  :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: July 08, 2019, 07:54:36 pm »
Railton

Well, I did open the bed door, Ted! That counts for something!

"Load my truck!"

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: July 08, 2019, 07:58:17 pm »
Put the truck to work

How do you like the standard V6 engine? Buddy of mine is thinking of an XLT with the base 3.3L V6 or a 3.6L Ram as his grocery getter.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:07 pm »
Railton

Well, I did open the bed door, Ted! That counts for something!
True.
I suppose you need to conserve your strength so you can finally whoop the Wife's old man at the cottage triathlon. ;)
Railton

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: July 08, 2019, 08:04:44 pm »
^^Aren't you supposed to lose to the old man on purpose?  For wifey?   :rofl: :rofl2: