Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015431 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11340 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:45 pm »
Is that the episode where the couple is looking for their daughter?  Pretty sure my son showed me that.  Funny stuff...

My wife would be quick to point out "I am not a Mennonite!" - and perhaps she's right.  Grew up "Mennonite" though nothing like what you might be thinking - we had no white caps or buggies or shi# like that.  Progressive Mennos you could say. Same as the Catlicks but Protestant) and I don't hardly know a lick of Low German.  Obah (Menno version of Jumpins!)...r-r-r-r-raboahbah r-r-r-r-rollkuchen...schmaunt faht...kielke...ver-r-ranick-yah with rhubarb (aka rrrrboahbah) sauce...the good stuff.  ;D (r-r-r-r = rolled r's)

If this is what you're thinking

There are similar here, but we never grew up that way. 

My grandparents were either born in Canada or came across very young, but we've got 110-120+ years of being very Canadian.  ;D
This could be my family - diversity and normalcy rules the day.  ;D

A real old fashioned "Mennonite" would never allow cross breeding!  For Haaven sakes! Though shalt not marry outside your cloth!

I believe john and Oliver both have "Menno" last names...maybe even GBA.  (We should) Ask them if they identify as Mennonite.   ;D

I've actually got zero Mennonite in me.  I'm a Manitoba Immigrant (my daughter would be first gen Manitoban) having come from Quebec where my family has lived for generations (I believe they started out in Ireland, moved to New England at some point, and then from there, being Catholics, were chased to Quebec because of Protestant persecution of Catholics).

People seem to have a misconception of what a Mennonite looks like.  Plenty of Mennonites look just like you or I, wearing normal clothes, having normal jobs, and living normal lifestyles.  They have left the 'mennonite' lifestyle behind.  Sure, a lot of them may still be involved in agriculture, and their Oma's make damn good Perogies.

Hutterites, on the other hand, would be Manitoba's equivalent of the Amish you have in Ontario, except they use technology.  Hutterites live in colonies where there are strict rules, and there is a dress code.  But they use modern farm equipment, and their other industries also use modern technology.  They almost always drive 15 passenger vans, and they love coming into Winnipeg to eat fried chicken, or to steal from garage sales. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11341 on: June 27, 2019, 03:45:04 pm »
People seem to have a misconception of what a Mennonite looks like.  Plenty of Mennonites look just like you or I, wearing normal clothes, having normal jobs, and living normal lifestyles.  They have left the 'mennonite' lifestyle behind.  Sure, a lot of them may still be involved in agriculture, and their Oma's make damn good Perogies.

I identify as a Mennonite, not in the religious sense but in the cultural sense. But then again I am not very far removed from Mennonite roots. Both of my parents grew up in South America in Mennonite colonies (my dad was born in Uruguay, my mom in Paraguay), and my maternal grandfather was the minister of the church in their colony. My parents moved to Winnipeg in the late '70s, following the rest of my mother's family.

I don't think what you're referring to is really leaving the Mennonite lifestyle behind though. For many of us there has never been any visible lifestyle going back generations.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: June 27, 2019, 04:40:14 pm »
Hutterites ... almost always drive 15 passenger vans, and they love coming into Winnipeg to eat fried chicken, or to steal from garage sales.

Gasp! (again, that's twice today)  Such generalizations!  (when I worked for a grocery store, our Steinbach store would have problems with the ladies putting turkeys or cases of margarine under their dresses and hobbling out - when you look 78, but are really only 32 and have 11 kids in tow...it can be hard to tell if you're an old and hobbling grandma, or if you got a 20 lb turkey stuffed up near your vajayjay. You're probably not far off, but at least they have God on their side.)

No idea why, I thought I'd seen your last name somewhere and it was of not French origins.  Obviously I was mistaken.  Dueck & Schellenberg though are about as Menno as you can get.  Aint even any denying it (shame if you didn't grow up on the food though... :'( Oliver would have for sure though :thumbup: right?).  If you're a Friesen...you're amongst the most popular Menno names there are.  They take up pages in the phone book.

My understanding is there's supposed to be a Mennonite Heritage Week - starting next year?  Menno Pride - all black and white, no rainbows.  Eat, you're too skinny!  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: June 27, 2019, 04:43:01 pm »
Hutterites ... almost always drive 15 passenger vans, and they love coming into Winnipeg to eat fried chicken, or to steal from garage sales.

Gasp! (again, that's twice today)  Such generalizations!  (when I worked for a grocery store, our Steinbach store would have problems with the ladies putting turkeys or cases of margarine under their dresses and hobbling out - when you look 78, but are really only 32 and have 11 kids in tow...it can be hard to tell if you're an old and hobbling grandma, or if you got a 20 lb turkey stuffed up near your vajayjay. You're probably not far off, but at least they have God on their side.)

I'm not wrong!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11344 on: June 28, 2019, 08:13:30 am »

No idea why, I thought I'd seen your last name somewhere and it was of not French origins.  Obviously I was mistaken.  Dueck & Schellenberg though are about as Menno as you can get.  Aint even any denying it (shame if you didn't grow up on the food though... :'( Oliver would have for sure though :thumbup: right?).  If you're a Friesen...you're amongst the most popular Menno names there are.  They take up pages in the phone book.

My understanding is there's supposed to be a Mennonite Heritage Week - starting next year?  Menno Pride - all black and white, no rainbows.  Eat, you're too skinny!  ;D

We have a Dave Schellenberg working at our local radio station doing the morning show, I listen to them every morning for my short commute to work... he's a Winnipeg boy  ;D

https://www.live885.com/the-morning-start-up/
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11345 on: June 28, 2019, 04:10:11 pm »
Made an appt to...errr....free my Alfa exhaust so it flows better. I want it to be louder as to better enjoy that amazing engine note.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: June 28, 2019, 04:42:04 pm »
Made an appt to...errr....free my Alfa exhaust so it flows better. I want it to be louder as to better enjoy that amazing engine note.
How you going to do that?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11347 on: June 28, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »
Picked up my winter tires this morning, and the shop owner put Miss Peanut up on the hoist.  Mr. Brig got right in there.  The owner was very polite and accommodating.  As it turns out, my wheels hadn't been torqued to 100 ft. lbs.  Technician had only done 80.  (They document all jobs via the system, as well as via CAMERA footage!)  Also, this shop, as a common practice, puts some kind of lube around the centre of the rotor (or maybe the centre of the rim) to preserve alloy rims and/or prevent seizing?  Not sure I fully understood.  In any case, the tech had WAY overlubed the rotor, and Mr. Brig thinks that because physics, this combination had the effect of loosening the nuts over time.  He says he's never seen that done before, and doesn't think it's really necessary.

He asked the owner to clean up the rims and get rid of all the lube, which was done.  I was fully reimbursed for storage that I wasn't going to use (obviously), but also for the tire swap, for a total of $144.

Case closed (I hope). 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: June 28, 2019, 04:54:41 pm »
Picked up my winter tires this morning, and the shop owner put Miss Peanut up on the hoist.  Mr. Brig got right in there.  The owner was very polite and accommodating.  As it turns out, my wheels hadn't been torqued to 100 ft. lbs.  Technician had only done 80.  (They document all jobs via the system, as well as via CAMERA footage!)  Also, this shop, as a common practice, puts some kind of lube around the centre of the rotor (or maybe the centre of the rim) to preserve alloy rims and/or prevent seizing?  Not sure I fully understood.  In any case, the tech had WAY overlubed the rotor, and Mr. Brig thinks that because physics, this combination had the effect of loosening the nuts over time.  He says he's never seen that done before, and doesn't think it's really necessary.

He asked the owner to clean up the rims and get rid of all the lube, which was done.  I was fully reimbursed for storage that I wasn't going to use (obviously), but also for the tire swap, for a total of $144.

Case closed (I hope).
It's not absolutely necessary IMO..but doesn't hurt. I always do it. Just a bit of anti-seize on the mounting face to prevent them from sticking...

No lube should be put on the lug studs though..

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11349 on: June 28, 2019, 05:23:23 pm »
How you going to do that?
with piping and different resonators and mufflers - trying to get it to sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcJQJZv1wk
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iebzRWe8nZ8

The exhaust wizard at Wicked Garage has some ideas, he has worked on Italian exhausts before

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11350 on: June 28, 2019, 07:15:10 pm »
My dads family were mennonites that came to Canada in 1842. Settled farms in southern Manitoba.

A bunch moved to Mexico during the Manitoba school crisis. Lots stayed though.

My grandfather left the farm when he was 18. He hated the idea of living apart from Canadian society. He bought a motorcycle and picked up his girlfriend and they headed west.

They ran out of money in Swift Current Saskatchewan as the bike gave out there. There were barely any roads I’m surprised they made it that far.

They put down roots there and were married for 76 years. He traveled to find work through the depression and explored a great deal of western Canada working picking fruit and logging. In the 1970s they flew to Victoria B.C. to visit distant relatives of my grandmother as they wanted to fly on a jet liner.

I can barely imagine how much the world changed during their lives. He was born in 1888 and died in 1982.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:30 am »

The exhaust wizard at Wicked Garage has some ideas, he has worked on Italian exhausts before

The trick will be finding mufflers IMO...since most of them on the market are deep/bass sounding...not what you want for an Italian car IMO.

I'd not be surprised if he ditched traditional mufflers and used resonators as mufflers...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:10:24 am by rrocket »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11352 on: June 29, 2019, 01:31:53 pm »

Case closed (I hope).

on the shop ticket, there is likely a little disclosure about re-torqueing the wheels after 200kms or so. shops put the wheel on, get the nuts/bolts on, drop the vehicle, torque them again, but if the wheel was positioned slightly off, it will cause the bolts to work their way off over time.

any time wheels come off for work, you need to check them. even a competent tech can't guarantee they won't work themselves off\ over a bit of time.

glad they got it sorted for you!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11353 on: June 29, 2019, 09:22:37 pm »
Brought my van for an oil change yesterday.  I this its the first time in over 15 years i haven't done it myself.  My garage floor is too nice now.  Sat i. Couple tundras and 4 runners....! So tempting

That's what the driveway is for!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11354 on: June 29, 2019, 09:25:18 pm »
Brought my van for an oil change yesterday.  I this its the first time in over 15 years i haven't done it myself.  My garage floor is too nice now.  Sat i. Couple tundras and 4 runners....! So tempting

That's what the driveway Canadian Tire parking lot is for!

Fixed that for ya.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11355 on: June 29, 2019, 09:35:44 pm »
  Sat in a Couple tundras and 4 runners....! So tempting

Wait for the 2020 Tundra

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11356 on: June 29, 2019, 09:40:16 pm »

That's what the driveway Canadian Tire parking lot is for!

Fixed that for ya.  ;D

;D   As long as you don't use Canadian Tire techs!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: June 30, 2019, 03:07:22 pm »
I finally got around to adding trailer lights to the Highlander. It couldn't have been any easier. There was a connector already installed so it was a matter of pulling out a few interior panels and plugging it the trailer wiring.

Beep-Boop.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11358 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:02 pm »
I finally got around to adding trailer lights to the Highlander. It couldn't have been any easier. There was a connector already installed so it was a matter of pulling out a few interior panels and plugging it the trailer wiring.

Beep-Boop.
Nice work! That calls for a beer, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:19 am »
Helped my kid wash, clay, polish and wax his car.  Funny he likes the end result...he hates putting in the work though.  There's just sooo much car!!  :P
 :rofl:

Hey, I do mine and the truck with no help (because that's how I like to do it)...beauty isn't free kid!  ;D  But it sure looks nice when it's done. 

So very reflective...

I forgot to...he plasti-dipped his winter wheels last weekend.  Looks pretty cool.  I have my doubts about longevity.  Guess we'll see in...3 months... :P :'(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:19:50 am by BWII »