Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015602 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11320 on: June 26, 2019, 08:54:34 am »
This year (mine are both done as of last year) there were 13 grads, of which 2 didn't show up.  Must've been one heck of an after grad party  :P.
I think my youngest son's class was closer to 20.

Okay.  So you actually live in Letterkenny.  Now I get it.   :rofl2:

If you drive 5+ miles east of where I live (and keep going), yup, you're in the area which no doubt, at least in part, probably, could easily have, inspired it.  Hell it might even be shot there.  :P

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11321 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:29 pm »
If you drive 5+ miles east of where I live (and keep going), yup, you're in the area which no doubt, at least in part, probably, could easily have, inspired it.  Hell it might even be shot there.  :P

;D I was just teasing.  There are 5000 people in Letterkenny, and the show is about their problems.  It was shot in Sudbury, actually.  But it does feature Mennonites in a few episodes, so you should feel right at home.   :rofl2:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: June 26, 2019, 01:48:38 pm »
Is that the episode where the couple is looking for their daughter?  Pretty sure my son showed me that.  Funny stuff...

My wife would be quick to point out "I am not a Mennonite!" - and perhaps she's right.  Grew up "Mennonite" though nothing like what you might be thinking - we had no white caps or buggies or shi# like that.  Progressive Mennos you could say. Same as the Catlicks but Protestant) and I don't hardly know a lick of Low German.  Obah (Menno version of Jumpins!)...r-r-r-r-raboahbah r-r-r-r-rollkuchen...schmaunt faht...kielke...ver-r-ranick-yah with rhubarb (aka rrrrboahbah) sauce...the good stuff.  ;D (r-r-r-r = rolled r's)

If this is what you're thinking

There are similar here, but we never grew up that way. 

My grandparents were either born in Canada or came across very young, but we've got 110-120+ years of being very Canadian.  ;D
This could be my family - diversity and normalcy rules the day.  ;D

A real old fashioned "Mennonite" would never allow cross breeding!  For Haaven sakes! Though shalt not marry outside your cloth!

I believe john and Oliver both have "Menno" last names...maybe even GBA.  (We should) Ask them if they identify as Mennonite.   ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:12 pm »
Had my personal mechanic (boyfriend) listen to an odd sound coming from the front driver's side tire on Sunday.  Sounds like he needs to pull the tire off and have a look at the rotor, because the sound (a tok-tok-tok-tok once the rotors are warm and the car decelerates) makes him think something's going on there.  We're doing that on Saturday.

Miss Peanut only has 25,000 km on the odo.  And the sound only started recently, after the shop I use for tire storage and changeover did the swap about a month ago.  Their included "inspection" trumpeted a dire warning about calipers and slider pins, blah blah blah.  My boyfriend disagreed based on the images they provided, and his own visual inspection at the time.  Sometimes I think they lightly sabotage things to make money by making people come back.

I started using a shop for tire swaps to save his back, but he seems to think that he does a better job, and I'm inclined to agree.  Never had this problem before.  Then again, Mazda's OEM rotors are known to be shite, so who knows.  It's just too coincidental for my taste, though.

So, my boyfriend chose today to have a look at my front rotor, but he found the problem long before even getting the wheel off.  ALL FIVE NUTS on the front left tire were so loose that you could loosen them by hand.  Really?  I can't even trust someone to do the most basic of things when I leave my car with them?  Am I supposed to carry around my own torque wrench to check their work?  He was really, really angry - and he's not the type to blow his stack or get upset easily.

I will not be using that shop again.  I can't see that I have any recourse, though, other than his word against the shop's, and it's certainly not my style to call a place up and start yelling at them over the phone.  I need to retrieve my tires, as they have been storing them, so that's when I'll tell them.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:06:12 pm by Brig »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11324 on: June 26, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »
Had my personal mechanic (boyfriend) listen to an odd sound coming from the front driver's side tire on Sunday.  Sounds like he needs to pull the tire off and have a look at the rotor, because the sound (a tok-tok-tok-tok once the rotors are warm and the car decelerates) makes him think something's going on there.  We're doing that on Saturday.

Miss Peanut only has 25,000 km on the odo.  And the sound only started recently, after the shop I use for tire storage and changeover did the swap about a month ago.  Their included "inspection" trumpeted a dire warning about calipers and slider pins, blah blah blah.  My boyfriend disagreed based on the images they provided, and his own visual inspection at the time.  Sometimes I think they lightly sabotage things to make money by making people come back.

I started using a shop for tire swaps to save his back, but he seems to think that he does a better job, and I'm inclined to agree.  Never had this problem before.  Then again, Mazda's OEM rotors are known to be shite, so who knows.  It's just too coincidental for my taste, though.

So, my boyfriend chose today to have a look at my front rotor, but he found the problem long before even getting the wheel off.  ALL FIVE NUTS on the front left tire were so loose that you could loosen them by hand.  Really?  I can't even trust someone to do the most basic of things when I leave my car with them?  Am I supposed to carry around my own torque wrench to check their work?  He was really, really angry - and he's not the type to blow his stack or get upset easily.

I will not be using that shop again.  I can't see that I have any recourse, though, other than his word against the shop's, and it's certainly not my style to call a place up and start yelling at them over the phone.  I need to retrieve my tires, as they have been storing them, so that's when I'll tell them.   
Didn't the shop ask you to come back in 100 km so they could re torque the nuts ?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11325 on: June 26, 2019, 02:09:01 pm »

So, my boyfriend chose today to have a look at my front rotor, but he found the problem long before even getting the wheel off.  ALL FIVE NUTS on the front left tire were so loose that you could loosen them by hand.  Really?  I can't even trust someone to do the most basic of things when I leave my car with them?  Am I supposed to carry around my own torque wrench?  He was really, really angry - and he's not the type to blow his stack or get upset easily.

That's the 1st thing I thought of when I read your original post, but figured your BF had a look at the wheel. As for not trusting the shop, this happens all the time with putting alloys on in the spring, the wheels need to be re-torqued after a week of driving. Happened to me many times, including this past spring with the Jeep, I heard the same noise you described (and I know I torqued all the bolts down), stopped & sure enough 3 wheel nuts were loose enough to be spun by hand, so I just cranked them down with the wrench that is in the trunk.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: June 26, 2019, 02:11:06 pm »
Didn't the shop ask you to come back in 100 km so they could re torque the nuts ?

Nope.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11327 on: June 26, 2019, 02:15:29 pm »

Nope.
My tireshop tells you bring it back and it is also written on the invoice

One time my wife got a flat in the States, the place she had it fix , had her sign a waiver that she was not going to bring it back to get the wheels re torque, since it she wasn't coming back that way

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:09 pm »
That's the 1st thing I thought of when I read your original post, but figured your BF had a look at the wheel. As for not trusting the shop, this happens all the time with putting alloys on in the spring, the wheels need to be re-torqued after a week of driving. Happened to me many times, including this past spring with the Jeep, I heard the same noise you described (and I know I torqued all the bolts down), stopped & sure enough 3 wheel nuts were loose enough to be spun by hand, so I just cranked them down with the wrench that is in the trunk.

Interesting.  In all the years that my boyfriend has done the swap himself on both the Santa Fe and the Peanut, I've never had this issue.  Impact wrench (that thing that uses compressed air and goes rat-a-tat-tat - I think that's what it's called), then torque wrench to 100 ft lbs once the wheels are on the ground.  Zero problems.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: June 26, 2019, 02:20:02 pm »

Nope.
My tireshop tells you bring it back and it is also written on the invoice

One time my wife got a flat in the States, the place she had it fix , had her sign a waiver that she was not going to bring it back to get the wheels re torque, since it she wasn't coming back that way

Costco had me come back after 40 km, but not this shop.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: June 26, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »
Is that the episode where the couple is looking for their daughter?  Pretty sure my son showed me that.  Funny stuff...

My wife would be quick to point out "I am not a Mennonite!" - and perhaps she's right.  Grew up "Mennonite" though nothing like what you might be thinking - we had no white caps or buggies or shi# like that.  Progressive Mennos you could say. Same as the Catlicks but Protestant) and I don't hardly know a lick of Low German.  Obah (Menno version of Jumpins!)...r-r-r-r-raboahbah r-r-r-r-rollkuchen...schmaunt faht...kielke...ver-r-ranick-yah with rhubarb (aka rrrrboahbah) sauce...the good stuff.  ;D (r-r-r-r = rolled r's)

If this is what you're thinking

There are similar here, but we never grew up that way. 

And I don't want to ignore this... Hon, I had no idea you had Mennonite roots!  So please don't think I was mocking you, because I wasn't.  I was referring to the fact that you've often mentioned that you lived in an area that was close to a Mennonite community, hence my comment about the familiarity you'd feel in those episodes. 

I'll just shut up and make my way out, now.   :rofl2:   I'm really batting a thousand today.   

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11331 on: June 26, 2019, 04:10:36 pm »

I'm just kidding.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: June 26, 2019, 05:16:52 pm »
And I don't want to ignore this... Hon, I had no idea you had Mennonite roots!  So please don't think I was mocking you, because I wasn't.  I was referring to the fact that you've often mentioned that you lived in an area that was close to a Mennonite community, hence my comment about the familiarity you'd feel in those episodes. 

I'll just shut up and make my way out, now.   :rofl2:   I'm really batting a thousand today.

Uhm, maybe...here's the funny thing...you can mock away.  I could give two poops.  I can't think of a reason to be offended by someone mocking it, mock away, but come for the food  ;D

As mentioned, we never ever would've been assumed to be "Mennonites" in the way that most people probably think Mennos are - as in the pic above.  That's about as far from the truth of our roots as you can get.  It's hardly a "way of life" for us.  More that it's what they came from back in Prussia/Russia/Germany/Holland in the late 1800s - it's more, at this point, about the food I think.  My wife doesn't identify as Menno...nor would my kids.  It's not a race...it's a religion.  Up for the mocking!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: June 26, 2019, 05:47:52 pm »

Uhm, maybe...here's the funny thing...you can mock away.  I could give two poops.  I can't think of a reason to be offended by someone mocking it, mock away, but come for the food  ;D

As mentioned, we never ever would've been assumed to be "Mennonites" in the way that most people probably think Mennos are - as in the pic above.  That's about as far from the truth of our roots as you can get.  It's hardly a "way of life" for us.  More that it's what they came from back in Prussia/Russia/Germany/Holland in the late 1800s - it's more, at this point, about the food I think.  My wife doesn't identify as Menno...nor would my kids.  It's not a race...it's a religion.  Up for the mocking!  ;D

We go to our Farmer's Market...and if it's one thing I've learned....they Mennonites sure know how to make baked goods and breads!!

FFS...their apple bread should be illegal...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11334 on: June 26, 2019, 05:59:02 pm »
OK back on auto track.

My order from Rock Auto arrived (2 days standard shipping lol). I have a set of rotors and pads to install on the LR4. The crux is the adjusting electric parking brake properly. Also got another magnet! ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »

Ok, fair enough.  But I wasn't mocking (except when I said that you came from Letterkenny.  I was definitely mocking there.   ;D)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: June 26, 2019, 09:01:19 pm »

I'm just kidding.....

Hole of the arse variety.   ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11337 on: June 26, 2019, 09:29:12 pm »
But when I do my lawn, and the neighbours, shorts and no shirt! Have to even out that tan somehow!

The poor neighbors.... :rofl: :rofl2:

I will send you a framed picture!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11338 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:07 pm »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: June 27, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »
So, my boyfriend called the shop, and made arrangements to retrieve my winter tires tomorrow morning.  I've also asked for an inspection to check for any damage to the front wheels/rotors, and they've agreed. He will be coming with me and will ask to be present once it's on the hoist.

He's typically a gentle guy, so... seeing this protective bulldog side of him has been an interesting experience.  He refuses to let it go.