Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015593 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11240 on: June 18, 2019, 12:32:38 am »
Toyota really seems to stand behind their products. My Highlander was well past the end of the warranty and they picked up a big part of the bill for a new transfer case when mine failed at what they considered a premature mileage.   No official campaign or anything. Just amazing customer service.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11241 on: June 18, 2019, 07:09:36 am »
Subaru used prices are too high for used car value buyers.  Lexus aren't deals by any stretch, but subarus are worse.

I've noticed lately that RXs aren't priced much, if any, higher than Highlanders. If you can live without the third row and don't mind the slightly smaller cargo area, the RX would be a better used buy. Bonus is your Toyota indie can easily service it for the same costs as the Highlander.

That's the thing, I prefer no 3rd row to begin with.  The vans always have the 3rd row down.  I don't need the extra cargo space.  But the mid size SUV market with no 3rd row is smaller than that with SUV's with the 3rd row.  I would take an older higher mileage RX vs a newer lower mileage Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, or Nissan Murano.
What about a poor mans RX, a Venza ?

Thats an idea, would have to test drive the top trim V6 though.  But when looking at Autotrader, for vehicles around 70k to 95k, they are only $2000-$3000 cheaper than the RX, similar age, and mileage. 

When you selling your RX?  Hows that been?  I mean the Mark Levinson is worth it!  What's the mileage?
I would not pay more to get a Levinson
Besides oil changes , we haven't done anything to it , besides new tires
The only bad thing is the cost to upgrade the nav, and traffic on NAV runs off XM radio
I do like that mouse to operate the info centre
No plans on selling it anything time soon

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: June 18, 2019, 10:11:59 am »

With all the money he saved he can buy a nail clipper!  ;D

Why bother with CEL at this point?
You could always use the spark plug defouler trick.

Yeah I know, I could drive it as is but I'm kind of anal when it comes to maintenance even though sometimes doesn't make much economical sense (but within reason).

Anyway, lately I started to use more aftermarket parts to compensate a little.

My friend works at a parts store...he buys all his stuff online.  Even he can't match RockAuto with his employee pricing.  Which is even better than jobber prices.

On my old Taurus, my favorite aftermarket repair part was a small piece of electrical tape.  Covers up any red warning lights...keep on driving.  Wasn't worth the parts needed to fix it, and couldn't tell anyway, ran fine with whatever was supposedly ailing it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: June 18, 2019, 02:46:44 pm »

He's a guitarist...needs that nail for his flamenco and finger picking stuff.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:48:58 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11244 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:42 pm »

He's a guitarist...needs that nail for his flamenco stuff.

There's another use for a long pinky nail such as that.

Or, so I'm told.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11245 on: June 18, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »
Subaru used prices are too high for used car value buyers.  Lexus aren't deals by any stretch, but subarus are worse.

I've noticed lately that RXs aren't priced much, if any, higher than Highlanders. If you can live without the third row and don't mind the slightly smaller cargo area, the RX would be a better used buy. Bonus is your Toyota indie can easily service it for the same costs as the Highlander.

That's the thing, I prefer no 3rd row to begin with.  The vans always have the 3rd row down.  I don't need the extra cargo space.  But the mid size SUV market with no 3rd row is smaller than that with SUV's with the 3rd row.  I would take an older higher mileage RX vs a newer lower mileage Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, or Nissan Murano.
What about a poor mans RX, a Venza ?

Thats an idea, would have to test drive the top trim V6 though.  But when looking at Autotrader, for vehicles around 70k to 95k, they are only $2000-$3000 cheaper than the RX, similar age, and mileage. 

When you selling your RX?  Hows that been?  I mean the Mark Levinson is worth it!  What's the mileage?
I would not pay more to get a Levinson
Besides oil changes , we haven't done anything to it , besides new tires
The only bad thing is the cost to upgrade the nav, and traffic on NAV runs off XM radio
I do like that mouse to operate the info centre
No plans on selling it anything time soon

Thanks for the feedback.  Interesting to hear that about that Levinson.  I heard it was one of the better factory systems.  Do you know how many km?

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #11246 on: June 18, 2019, 05:56:46 pm »
Had a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 installed in my RX-8. They feel amazing, though I will truly test their limit at Autocross.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11247 on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:10 pm »
Got the Highlander back from the tech.  New timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, front main seal, accessory drive belts, transfer case oil, rear diff oil and <gasp> spark plugs.  (The plugs are such a giant PITA to do...)

I hate service work like this.  Nothing feels different.  Fresh brakes have a new firm pedal.  New tires feel different.  But, a new timing belt makes no difference to how it feels.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:54:38 pm by johngenx »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: June 18, 2019, 08:14:29 pm »
Got the Highlander back from the tech.  New timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, front main seal, accessory drive belts, transfer case oil, rear diff oil and <gasp> spark plugs.  (The plugs are such a giant PITA to do...)

I hate service work like this.  Nothing feels different.  Fresh brakes have a new firm pedal.  New tires feel different.  But, a new timing belt makes no difference to how it feels.   ;D

It's equivalent to getting a new furnace, shingles, or windows for a house.  Still need plugs on my Entourage, at 189km...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: June 18, 2019, 08:16:52 pm »

It's equivalent to getting a new furnace, shingles, or windows for a house. 

Well, a house looks nicer with new windows or shingles.  And a new furnace (if the other was broken) actually gives some warmth.

You don't see or feel jack :censor: with a new timing belt.   :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11250 on: June 18, 2019, 08:18:25 pm »

It's equivalent to getting a new furnace, shingles, or windows for a house.  Still need plugs on my Entourage, at 189km...

What's the plug interval?  The Corolla's irridium plugs call for 192K replacement.  They were in serviceable condition at that mileage.

Plugs on the four banger are SO easy, omg.  Those rear plugs on the Highlander are awful.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11251 on: June 18, 2019, 08:19:00 pm »

But your pistons and valves love you!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:19 pm »

But your pistons and valves love you!

I had a sweet blue Kevlar belt to show off though....almost got the HKS which was pink...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: June 18, 2019, 08:56:48 pm »

What's the plug interval?  The Corolla's irridium plugs call for 192K replacement.  They were in serviceable condition at that mileage.

Plugs on the four banger are SO easy, omg.  Those rear plugs on the Highlander are awful.

I am sure the Entourage are quite similar.  Rear plugs...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11254 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:18 pm »
^May not be that bad. Did them on our Pilot when we had it. One of them required a knuckle on the socket. Rest were straight forward.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: June 18, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »
^May not be that bad. Did them on our Pilot when we had it. One of them required a knuckle on the socket. Rest were straight forward.

Had to remove engine mounts and rotate engine just so for my Stealth TT.  Sucked.  A lot.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11256 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:06 pm »
Had my personal mechanic (boyfriend) listen to an odd sound coming from the front driver's side tire on Sunday.  Sounds like he needs to pull the tire off and have a look at the rotor, because the sound (a tok-tok-tok-tok once the rotors are warm and the car decelerates) makes him think something's going on there.  We're doing that on Saturday.

Miss Peanut only has 25,000 km on the odo.  And the sound only started recently, after the shop I use for tire storage and changeover did the swap about a month ago.  Their included "inspection" trumpeted a dire warning about calipers and slider pins, blah blah blah.  My boyfriend disagreed based on the images they provided, and his own visual inspection at the time.  Sometimes I think they lightly sabotage things to make money by making people come back.

I started using a shop for tire swaps to save his back, but he seems to think that he does a better job, and I'm inclined to agree.  Never had this problem before.  Then again, Mazda's OEM rotors are known to be shite, so who knows.  It's just too coincidental for my taste, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:14:51 pm by Brig »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: June 18, 2019, 09:20:42 pm »
Lots of Mazda owners of all models gripe about premature brake issues.  I know lots of 3 owners on their second or third set of pads and discs by 100K.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: June 18, 2019, 09:22:09 pm »

Had to remove engine mounts and rotate engine just so for my Stealth TT.  Sucked.  A lot.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Damn, that's awful.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11259 on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
Had my personal mechanic (boyfriend) listen to an odd sound coming from the front driver's side tire on Sunday.  Sounds like he needs to pull the tire off and have a look at the rotor, because the sound (a tok-tok-tok-tok once the rotors are warm and the car decelerates) makes him think something's going on there.  We're doing that on Saturday.

Miss Peanut only has 25,000 km on the odo.  And the sound only started recently, after the shop I use for tire storage and changeover did the swap about a month ago.  Their included "inspection" trumpeted a dire warning about calipers and slider pins, blah blah blah.  My boyfriend disagreed based on the images they provided, and his own visual inspection at the time.  Sometimes I think they lightly sabotage things to make money by making people come back.

I started using a shop for tire swaps to save his back, but he seems to think that he does a better job, and I'm inclined to agree.  Never had this problem before.  Then again, Mazda's OEM rotors are known to be shite, so who knows.  It's just too coincidental for my taste, though.
That shops sounds like a  pharmaceutical company , if their lips are moving , they must be lying