Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015814 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11180 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:22 pm »
Nice! Car sure looks happy and clean.  :)
Thx! Its actually pretty dirty, covered in pollen & dust! Interior is good & clean tho, did that on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11181 on: June 11, 2019, 10:58:20 pm »
Nice! Car sure looks happy and clean.  :)
Thx! Its actually pretty dirty, covered in pollen & dust! Interior is good & clean tho, did that on Sunday.

Gorgeous car.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11182 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:14 pm »
put the Invidia cat-back on the Mini. Sounds amazing, no more engine code...no more crap exhaust sound. So nice. Fantastic workmanship and fitment...and the exhaust's blue tips match my car.  ;D
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11183 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:46 pm »
put the Invidia cat-back on the Mini. Sounds amazing, no more engine code...no more crap exhaust sound. So nice. Fantastic workmanship and fitment...and the exhaust's blue tips match my car.  ;D
Nice! Will have to see it soon.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11184 on: June 14, 2019, 08:19:43 pm »
I built a very quick and dirty canoe rack this evening.  I need to transport the canoe tomorrow, and the only way I had of moving it was to throw it on the trailer and pull the trailer where I need to go.  Did not want to do that.  $40 worth of lumber, and 1.5 hours of my time

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #11185 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:11 am »
nice canoe

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: June 15, 2019, 07:55:30 am »
You know what they say about wooden boats...

I got me car back.  Rust fixed.

Some where there's a pic of the before, guess it's not in my imgur account.  Hmmm...

$400.  Plus they did the bottom of the rear door again too.  I was hoping they'd be able to only do the clear/paint from the edge of the rear quarter down - that 1-2" body line down.  But, far as I can tell they only painted what needed it, but he said they cleared the whole 1/4 and blended it about half way to the windshield.  Bummer is now it's not near as glass smooth as the factory clear (I didn't want to lose that  :'() but, for $400...and as my kid said, "it's a 9 yr old car dad."  :P ::)  Yeah yeah...I know, but it's still a good looking 9 yr old car. 

I do have to clay the whole thing again.  Washed it last night and drying it off it's like rubbing the legs of a blonde girl.  ;D You can't see it...but you can feel it.  Needs a shave.  Imagine the chalk board scenario and you've got a good idea of what the rest of the car feels like.

Time to trade it off...(not - it's too pretty, and with what?  Exactly.  Nothing compares...and it's worthless  :P)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: June 15, 2019, 07:27:39 pm »

I had replace a seat belt buckle on the Tercel. Oddly you have to take the whole seat out. Took the opportunity to clean under the seat and console.

No Tercels at the scrapyard so I had to use a Toyota Echo one which worked.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: June 16, 2019, 06:12:59 pm »

What a PITA. Had to take off the intake, plug off some coolant lines, and remove the radiator fans. Then you still can't see this one annoying nut. Sunk in the bracket too.

Intake off

Success. Did an oil change too.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11189 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:42 pm »
^ That sucks. Didn't realize Honda was mounting starters there too....

Made some good progress this weekend on the orange MGB, and a bit of TR8 stuff too, but I'll save that for the S&S threads.

I did wash both Cadillac's though, and I took out this leather wrapped GMC Jimmy steering wheel I had stored for years and cleaned it up. It's identical to the factory Sonoma wheel, only leather wrapped vs. the rubber in the Sonoma. Will swap it into the truck when I get a free couple hours at home...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11190 on: June 16, 2019, 07:18:34 pm »

The Starter on Tundras is located in the V between the banks of cylinders.  The intake manifold and all that junk needs to be removed to replace it.  And starters have typically been a weak point on Tundras, along with water pumps. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: June 16, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »

The Starter on Tundras is located in the V between the banks of cylinders.  The intake manifold and all that junk needs to be removed to replace it.  And starters have typically been a weak point on Tundras, along with water pumps.
Hard to believe.

The design can't be much different (if at all) from all my Lexus V8...and despite the bazillion of KMs...I've never had an issue with either...nor is it a regular thing on the forums.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: June 16, 2019, 07:39:11 pm »

Hard to believe.

The design can't be much different (if at all) from all my Lexus V8...and despite the bazillion of KMs...I've never had an issue with either...nor is it a regular thing on the forums.

Maybe the starter isn't a problem, but when it goes, it definitely would be.  Not a simple procedure, that. 

I've heard water pumps are weak on these trucks, but at least that's an easy fix. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:06 pm »

Hard to believe.

Maybe the starter isn't a problem, but when it goes, it definitely would be.  Not a simple procedure, that. 

I've heard water pumps are weak on these trucks, but at least that's an easy fix.
BTW...the starter on your 5.7 is on the outside...not under the intake. The old 4.7 was there.

It's still a bit of a pain (4-6 hours)...but no need to remove the intake.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11194 on: June 16, 2019, 08:26:56 pm »
Dropped the Highlander off at the indie tech this evening so he'll have it first thing tomorrow to do the timing belt and water pump.  After doing the brakes on the Forester and the consequences of screwing up the timing belt job, I'm having this done.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11195 on: June 17, 2019, 08:01:22 am »
Speaking of starters.  Just had the starter replaced on the POS Entourage. A couple of engine mounts had to be removed, took about 3 hours for the indie to do it.  Damn starter was $300.  Rad was replaced in May.  Battery in April, tires in March.    Alternator was replaced 2 years ago.  CV joints causing a vibration.  2008 with 180k.  Can't wait till get rid of this thing.  Hoping to extend the lease on the Caravan for another year. 

The RX has moved to a higher spot on my list over the Outback.  Looking at used prices, the prices are pretty close (when looking at a higher trim Outback with the 6 cylinder).  I would rather have the RX over the Outback, for $1000-$2000 difference.  Looking 2013-2016.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #11196 on: June 17, 2019, 08:58:45 am »
Speaking of starters.  Just had the starter replaced on the POS Entourage. A couple of engine mounts had to be removed, took about 3 hours for the indie to do it.  Damn starter was $300.  Rad was replaced in May.  Battery in April, tires in March.    Alternator was replaced 2 years ago.  CV joints causing a vibration.  2008 with 180k.  Can't wait till get rid of this thing.  Hoping to extend the lease on the Caravan for another year. 

The RX has moved to a higher spot on my list over the Outback.  Looking at used prices, the prices are pretty close (when looking at a higher trim Outback with the 6 cylinder).  I would rather have the RX over the Outback, for $1000-$2000 difference.  Looking 2013-2016.

No question, if you're in the market for a 2013-2015 vehicle, there is a lot of merit to going with the RX.  The supply of Lexus is really growing in NB, the nearest dealer is in Saint John, but seems like they have 5-10 pre-owned units on the lot at any given time.   

Our Outback has basically been flawless through 70,000km and feels like new after detailing it this weekend along with some brakes, tires, and an alignment.  I asked my wife the other day if she's still happy with it, and one of the things she really likes is the lack of premium brand.....she does home visits for her work and she said she'd be uncomfortable pulling up in a Lexus.  But the Lexus is a better used buy.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11197 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:55 am »
Subaru used prices are too high for used car value buyers.  Lexus aren't deals by any stretch, but subarus are worse.

I've noticed lately that RXs aren't priced much, if any, higher than Highlanders. If you can live without the third row and don't mind the slightly smaller cargo area, the RX would be a better used buy. Bonus is your Toyota indie can easily service it for the same costs as the Highlander.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11198 on: June 17, 2019, 11:02:05 am »
Took the Volvo in for the tree damage to be repaired.   The it will be 30 days before the ceramic can be applied on those two panels ( hood and fender).   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11199 on: June 17, 2019, 11:35:59 am »
Subaru used prices are too high for used car value buyers.  Lexus aren't deals by any stretch, but subarus are worse.

I've noticed lately that RXs aren't priced much, if any, higher than Highlanders. If you can live without the third row and don't mind the slightly smaller cargo area, the RX would be a better used buy. Bonus is your Toyota indie can easily service it for the same costs as the Highlander.

That's the thing, I prefer no 3rd row to begin with.  The vans always have the 3rd row down.  I don't need the extra cargo space.  But the mid size SUV market with no 3rd row is smaller than that with SUV's with the 3rd row.  I would take an older higher mileage RX vs a newer lower mileage Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, or Nissan Murano.