Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015961 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11140 on: June 06, 2019, 04:39:15 pm »
New tires on the IS-F...finally!

Nice!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:08 pm »

Nice!  ;D

Canadian Tire should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for the paltry amount of CDN Tire "money" they give on a $1200 set of tires.  $4.25   ::)

Fortunately for me, it was 20X day.  But still....that's a joke!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: June 06, 2019, 05:05:45 pm »
The Canadian Tire money seems to almost nothing unless you have their credit card of a 20X sale.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11143 on: June 06, 2019, 05:09:05 pm »
The Canadian Tire money seems to almost nothing unless you have their credit card of a 20X sale.

It's not a thing to me anymore.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #11144 on: June 06, 2019, 05:27:54 pm »
Broke all the bolts loose on the Forester yesterday to see if I could do a complete brake job.  And for the first time in this car's history with me, they all come loose with just a breaker bar and some Liquid Wrench.  Honestly, I'm shocked.

I buttoned it back up, will buy parts in the next few days and next week replace the pads and discs.

Even the rotor screws? I had to drill out all four when I recently did the rear brakes on my car. Original rotors with nearly 200k on them though...
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11145 on: June 06, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »
Broke all the bolts loose on the Forester yesterday to see if I could do a complete brake job.  And for the first time in this car's history with me, they all come loose with just a breaker bar and some Liquid Wrench.  Honestly, I'm shocked.

I buttoned it back up, will buy parts in the next few days and next week replace the pads and discs.

Even the rotor screws? I had to drill out all four when I recently did the rear brakes on my car. Original rotors with nearly 200k on them though...

Subaru doesn't use those awful disc retaining screws.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: June 07, 2019, 09:05:20 am »
Which one did he recommend?

You drive south a lot...try the Co-op in Morris (by Subway).  I put $4 in and washed the truck...3 times  :P ;D...my arm was sore.  Soap. Wax.  Hmmm...rinse....rinse again...and again...and actual pressure unlike any American car wash I've ever been in. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11147 on: June 07, 2019, 10:32:34 am »
Took the GLI to wand wash GBA pointed out. It's at least cleanish now. I'll have to get some waterless wash stuff.

Now I remember why I like white cars.

River City Car Wash, but only because it's closer.  My personal go-to is Blondies.

Worked out fine. Really convenient, and not too busy when I was there. $5 to do the car, which seemed okay.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11148 on: June 07, 2019, 11:15:34 am »
LR4 got some new Brembo front pads and some machined Raybestos Euro grade rotors. These rotors developed excessive runout in about 10k so I found a machine shop who cut them and made them straight again. We will see how it goes. Also bled the entire brake system using Pentosin LV DOT4. Never used LV before but it says it was OK to use?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11149 on: June 07, 2019, 11:22:46 am »
Came outside to leave for work...tire flat to the rim.  Sigh...of course...because TOMORROW I'm scheduled to get my new tires put on.

Ran in the garage, got my jack.  Jack, jack, jack, jack!

Grabbed my impact gun....Bzz, bzz, bzz, bzz.

Tire off, in the garage.  Grabbed my tire puncture repair kit.  Ream hole, apply glue to plug...plug hole!

Fill with air, check for leaks with my spray bottle of ONR.  No bubbles.

Tire back on...and away to work.

Car wasn't out of service even 15 minutes!

I know it's still holding because I made it to work safely!   ;D

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11150 on: June 07, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
Took the GLI to wand wash GBA pointed out. It's at least cleanish now. I'll have to get some waterless wash stuff.

River City Car Wash, but only because it's closer.  My personal go-to is Blondies.

Worked out fine. Really convenient, and not too busy when I was there. $5 to do the car, which seemed okay.

I use The Wave Car Wash on Goulet, near Youville.  I like the 6 am to midnight hours.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11151 on: June 07, 2019, 12:20:27 pm »
LR4 got some new Brembo front pads and some machined Raybestos Euro grade rotors. These rotors developed excessive runout in about 10k so I found a machine shop who cut them and made them straight again. We will see how it goes. Also bled the entire brake system using Pentosin LV DOT4. Never used LV before but it says it was OK to use?

Interesting. I installed Raybestos E3 pads and Rotors on the DTS in November....5000kms later the rotors had developed noticable runout. just last weekend I took the rotors off, hit them with a scotch brite pads on the drill to clean up any uneven pad material buildup, reinstalled, but the problem had not improved. So I just replaced them with a set of OEPlus rotors from PartSource, kept the Raybest E3 pads as they were still like new.

Not sure whether it was a part issue, or some other circumstance that caused the issue for me. I did double check the hub assembly and caliper for anything usual, but all seems well. If the problem comes back in another 5K though I'll have to do some more investigating.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11152 on: June 07, 2019, 12:29:32 pm »
Yesterday I fully refinished the rusty hitch on my Outlander and I'm very pleased with the outcome. Well, not really me to be honest - my friend did the work but I was there assisting, giving direction, QA and more importantly handling the 6-pack.... ;)

Anyway, aside from the eye sore, the rust was dripping on my interlocking when wet so I had to do something about it and quick. I had a cheap and dirty job done by the dealer few weeks ago while the car was in the shop for something else, but it was just that - a cosmetic job until I get to it to do it right. They didn't take the time (not that I paid for it or anything) to clean up the rust thoroughly so the rust was still there under the paint especially underneath where you wouldn't normally see.

Anyway, my buddy (who is a skilled steel/stainless worker by trade) cleaned the crap out of it despite the fact that working around it was very difficult as I did not want to take it off to avoid other complications due to rust and there is very little clearance under the bumper. The right tools, skills and taking the time made a whole lot of difference. Sprayed galvanized coating, rust paint and then a coat of rubberized paint normally used on rocket panels (RustCheck can from CT). It's not a smooth finish but it's black and hopefully strong enough to stay that way for few years.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11153 on: June 07, 2019, 01:26:27 pm »

I use The Wave Car Wash on Goulet, near Youville.  I like the 6 am to midnight hours.

That doesn't look that far away either. Looks like a good spot. Good to know.  :thumbup:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #11154 on: June 07, 2019, 02:02:12 pm »
Got the windows tinted. 20%, Ceramic, Rear only. So far I'm happy.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: June 07, 2019, 04:48:56 pm »
Two years ago almost to the day I did the rear brakes on the Subaru. New calipers, discs and pads. Bought pretty cheap parts because it's a very used car and not worth blowing big bucks on. Got the NAPA no-name stuff.

Have to say I'm actually impressed with the parts. The rear brakes don't get the same stress of the fronts, but the discs are in good condition, the calipers are working perfectly and the pads are wearing evenly. Everything is in solid shape.

I'm going to go the same route with the fronts.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11156 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:01 pm »

Interesting. I installed Raybestos E3 pads and Rotors on the DTS in November....5000kms later the rotors had developed noticable runout. just last weekend I took the rotors off, hit them with a scotch brite pads on the drill to clean up any uneven pad material buildup, reinstalled, but the problem had not improved. So I just replaced them with a set of OEPlus rotors from PartSource, kept the Raybest E3 pads as they were still like new.

Not sure whether it was a part issue, or some other circumstance that caused the issue for me. I did double check the hub assembly and caliper for anything usual, but all seems well. If the problem comes back in another 5K though I'll have to do some more investigating.

The machinist who cut my rotors said he sees this a lot. He thinks the cheap mass produced rotors are not heat treated properly and when the metal "relaxes" it takes them out of spec. Get the rotors hot once and  they relax out of spec. If you then machine them they should not have the problem again as they have been heated and cooled, who knows? Anyhow they cut them for $40 each (new LR4 rotors are around $150 ) yes yes Max Brakes...lol

We will see how they do.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: June 07, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »

The machinist who cut my rotors said he sees this a lot. He thinks the cheap mass produced rotors are not heat treated properly and when the metal "relaxes" it takes them out of spec. Get the rotors hot once and  they relax out of spec. If you then machine them they should not have the problem again as they have been heated and cooled, who knows? Anyhow they cut them for $40 each (new LR4 rotors are around $150 ) yes yes Max Brakes...lol

We will see how they do.

We'll see what happens. $40 seems a bit steep to cut rotors, but it's been probably 15 years since I last had that done. One thing with the DTS, front rotors are cheap, I bought the premium 'Armour coated' ones from PartSource for $144 for both.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: June 08, 2019, 08:13:15 am »
You had your first set of rotors cut when you were 15?  Wow... :o You are...old  :think:

(I kid...you're from a car crazy family, you probably got rotors cut for your 5th birthday...Wow!  :bounce: Cool dad!  :banana: - because you've obviously got a cool dad)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: June 08, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »
Most shops here charge $40-50 to resurface a brake disc. With many cars the discs cost about that, so why bother?