Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3016475 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10900 on: April 26, 2019, 11:44:05 am »
I took the Sonata in yesterday for its biannual oil change.  I also purchased two Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires to replace the fronts.  You may remember I replaced the two rears late last summer after I experienced flats in both.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Try to do a good thing, and get punished for it:
« Reply #10901 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:04 pm »
So, my brother did this to his new-to-him truck the other day.  I'll preface by saying that he lives in Southern NB, and went out to help people sandbag their homes.  How he ended up driving into a ditch is beyond me...I have no idea what he was thinking.

Anyways, now I have plenty of ammunition to make fun of him, and not only because he drives a Ford. 

Anyway, he took it to his Indy and had all the fluids changed.  The transmission was making a little noise, so more than likely some water got into it.  The hope is that changing the fluid a few times will fix it right up without any permanent damage.

Oh Good Lord.  A brother couldn't ask for any more when it comes to rivalry.  I'll make sure to rib him about it when I see him this summer, lol. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 01:22:36 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10902 on: April 26, 2019, 02:10:33 pm »
That could have been way worse. Whats he doing going offroad with those all season car tires?!?!?!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #10903 on: April 26, 2019, 02:16:48 pm »
He's not a MENSA member?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10904 on: April 26, 2019, 03:46:17 pm »
^^^He's actually a really smart guy...engineer...far smarter than I am.  BUT, I'm the practical one, and the one who's good at doing stuff like that.  He, obviously...isn't.

The way he tells it, he was traversing somebody's yard trying to get to the area where they were sandbagging, and he didn't want to tear up their grass.  He didn't think the ditch was as deep as it was. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #10905 on: April 27, 2019, 08:56:57 am »
^^^He's actually a really smart guy...engineer...far smarter than I am.  BUT, I'm the practical one, and the one who's good at doing stuff like that.  He, obviously...isn't.

The way he tells it, he was traversing somebody's yard trying to get to the area where they were sandbagging, and he didn't want to tear up their grass.  He didn't think the ditch was as deep as it was.

I bet that's not that far from where I live.  I avoid going anywhere off-road this time of year.   ;D  Luckily, I've only got my truck stuck really bad once where i couldn't get it out without a tow. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Try to do a good thing, and get punished for it:
« Reply #10906 on: April 27, 2019, 09:13:16 am »
So, my brother did this to his new-to-him truck the other day.  I'll preface by saying that he lives in Southern NB, and went out to help people sandbag their homes.  How he ended up driving into a ditch is beyond me...I have no idea what he was thinking.

There's video somewhere of my friend who went mudding with his Pathfinder without a snorkel and ended up doors-deep in water.  Killed it.  Repairs (plus snorkel) ended up costing close to $5K.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: April 27, 2019, 10:32:20 am »

Bah, don't beat yourself up...engineers fack up as much or more than they do right.  Never listen to the locals, their ideas are the only ones that matter.  Math smart doesn't make you smart smart.  Aren't they the first ones to stick their hands under the lawn mower or in the snowblower to see what's stuck? 

My kid insisted I buy the proper size wrench or socket in order to put a hitch ball on (not sure that's the engineer in him or the farmer - can't be the farmer).  I wait until he's gone and use a feckin' pipe wrench like anyone else.  Worried about the squareness of the nut... ::) ::) ::) jeez.  It's an inch and a half or more wide, the pipe wrench did nothing to it.  Probably better since it gripped it with its toothy face and won't round off the edges like a "real wrench" eventually would.  Don't tell me what's right or wrong son - I'm over 50!  I make the rules! (hat tip to Sir-O  ;D)  Boy was he pissed when he came home and saw I did that... :rofl: :rofl2: ::) :stfu:

For the record, I can eff all kinds of stuff up without being an engineer.  Once drove my ATV into a shallow pool...foot and a half or 2 of water...2 feet of mushy Red River silty clay mud tiger shi# at the bottom.  Good laugh at that, almost lost my shoes.  ;D  Oh the stories they can tell... ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10908 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:34 pm »

Bah, don't beat yourself up...engineers fack up as much or more than they do right.  Never listen to the locals, their ideas are the only ones that matter.  Math smart doesn't make you smart smart.  Aren't they the first ones to stick their hands under the lawn mower or in the snowblower to see what's stuck? 

I actually know an engineer who is missing a few fingers,   yup,  lawnmower.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: April 27, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »
The roof box came off the car (it went on in November). With the winter tires off it's back in summer mode.

Looking forward to quieter travels using less gas. The box has to be eat at least 0.5L/100km.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #10910 on: April 27, 2019, 02:15:45 pm »
Found the taillights I wanted for my Sonata.  See post here: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=100441.msg1434265#msg1434265

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10911 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »
The roof box came off the car (it went on in November). With the winter tires off it's back in summer mode.

Looking forward to quieter travels using less gas. The box has to be eat at least 0.5L/100km.
Looking good! I noticed a HUGE difference taking the box off the JGC! Like closer to 2L/100km.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10912 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:15 pm »
BG44k for both cars. Gave both a wash and detail. Leather and cloth protector applied to the interior.

Bought new belt and pulleys (crank, idler, tensioner) for the Mini. Supercharger service and rear main seal will have to wait till fall I think.

Going on Monday to Lentech to speak about a dyno tune for the Alfa. It needs one to get the best out of my race camshafts.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: April 27, 2019, 06:58:31 pm »
BG44k for both cars. Gave both a wash and detail. Leather and cloth protector applied to the interior.

Bought new belt and pulleys (crank, idler, tensioner) for the Mini. Supercharger service and rear main seal will have to wait till fall I think.

Going on Monday to Lentech to speak about a dyno tune for the Alfa. It needs one to get the best out of my race camshafts.
BG44K is good stuff!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: April 27, 2019, 07:25:03 pm »
First time using it. I am hopeful it will keep things nice and clean throughout the fuel system.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: April 27, 2019, 07:48:11 pm »
First time using it. I am hopeful it will keep things nice and clean throughout the fuel system.
Yea, used to use it quite a bit. Then only one GM dealer carried it locally so I switched to Amsoil PI.

Also currently using BG Synchro Shift II in the IS300....top shelf stuff.
https://motoiq.com/tested-bg-syncro-shift-ii-gear-oil/

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: April 27, 2019, 07:56:39 pm »
I want to put the BG in when I do the tranny on the Mini. Alfa has Redline in it. Perhaps the GM fluid will improve the shift feel?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:33 pm »
I want to put the BG in when I do the tranny on the Mini. Alfa has Redline in it. Perhaps the GM fluid will improve the shift feel?
The 2 best tranny fluids I've used is Royal Purple MAXgear and the BG.

IQ gives a slight nod to Royal Purple...and I tend to agree. Feels a teeny bit slicker shifting. FWIW, the IS tranny takes gear oil, so be sure you use the right stuff.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10918 on: April 27, 2019, 08:47:32 pm »
Gave the DTS it's thorough spring clean-up. Wash, polish & wax, including waxing all the door jambs and such. Tomorrow I'll give it a vacuum and treat the leather.

Love / Hate thing going on with this black, it looks fantastic when it's freshly cleaned, but looks like crap within a day or two, even if it's just sitting around thanks to the dust in the air.

Car held up well through the winter, no signs of rust and the paint seems surprisingly resistant to chips. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: April 27, 2019, 09:02:10 pm »
You use a paste wax by chance?