Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3016645 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10820 on: April 18, 2019, 05:53:54 pm »
Quote from: Gurgie link=topic=83295.msg1432704#msg1432704  date=1555620265
Took the JGC in for an oil change at the stealership, this one came up at ~13,000kms on the oil life readout. $210 for the oil change & another $44 in DEF. Oh well, at least it's only ~twice a year.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Is that just an oil change ?  ???
I wonder , have you check Costco ?
For thr Rx, it is $100 at dealer with a wash, donuts and Espresso
$70 at Toyota dealer and coffee
$50 at Costco, with $300 shopping bill  :rofl:
I don't have time to go to Costco for it, they're always backed up in that facking place, ha, ha, ha! The darn thing takes 8L of oil, so it's not cheap. I'll keep going to the dealer until I'm outta warranty I figure.

yeah, 8L of diesel oil ain't cheap. people forget when comparing this stuff that it's totally different products... it would be like me saying, man, you got ripped off... a tank of gas in my sunfire is only 35 bucks. your raptor costs 110? man... you should fill up at shell and save that 75 bucks! people just ignore the actual product (pricier oil and filter) and the amount of it... my example is quite accurate due to tank size and octane level of fuel for different cars...

so I sold the old willys... happy customers drove off today with it. they are fricken thrilled with it. I really do love when the customers actually are happy about the car they buy..
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: April 18, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »
Took the JGC in for an oil change at the stealership, this one came up at ~13,000kms on the oil life readout. $210 for the oil change & another $44 in DEF. Oh well, at least it's only ~twice a year.

I don't have time to go to Costco for it, they're always backed up in that facking place, ha, ha, ha! The darn thing takes 8L of oil, so it's not cheap. I'll keep going to the dealer until I'm outta warranty I figure.

yeah, 8L of diesel oil ain't cheap. people forget when comparing this stuff that it's totally different products... it would be like me saying, man, you got ripped off... a tank of gas in my sunfire is only 35 bucks. your raptor costs 110? man... you should fill up at shell and save that 75 bucks! people just ignore the actual product (pricier oil and filter) and the amount of it... my example is quite accurate due to tank size and octane level of fuel for different cars...

so I sold the old willys... happy customers drove off today with it. they are fricken thrilled with it. I really do love when the customers actually are happy about the car they buy..

Must be plenty of dealer markup.

There's virtually no price difference between the best synthetic and the best synthetic diesel from other oil manufacturers....

**EDIT**  Just checked.  Nothing special for the oil for this beast.  It's basically European Car formula oil...not even a unique diesel oil.  $10 a L.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:30:43 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10822 on: April 18, 2019, 07:03:39 pm »
yeah, we also don't keep it in bulk, so we are paying normal fees for it... I believe the last one I saw that was internal (so little/no markup) had 110 bucks worth of oil... cost on the filter is almost 60 bucks too. still no clue why.

add 30 mins of labour at least... and the dealership isn't exactly getting rich at 210. believe what ya like! if you can find an aftermarket filter, that would save some coin.

even if you use your oil #, if you bought the oil for 10/l, and a filter at 71 (retail price)... woo whoo! you don't pay yourself, and save 60 bucks for the privilege of doing it yourself. just sayin... though the price is stupid, no one is getting rich off your oil change.

*man... just looked it up... they do finally have some aftermarket oil filters for the 3.0L it looks like... use those! so much cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:06:37 pm by tooscoops »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #10823 on: April 18, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
yeah, we also don't keep it in bulk, so we are paying normal fees for it... I believe the last one I saw that was internal (so little/no markup) had 110 bucks worth of oil... cost on the filter is almost 60 bucks too. still no clue why.

add 30 mins of labour at least... and the dealership isn't exactly getting rich at 210. believe what ya like! if you can find an aftermarket filter, that would save some coin.

even if you use your oil #, if you bought the oil for 10/l, and a filter at 71 (retail price)... woo whoo! you don't pay yourself, and save 60 bucks for the privilege of doing it yourself. just sayin... though the price is stupid, no one is getting rich off your oil change.

*man... just looked it up... they do finally have some aftermarket oil filters for the 3.0L it looks like... use those! so much cheaper.

How dare you make money! You should be ashamed of yourself.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: April 18, 2019, 07:32:17 pm »

It's not what I believe....it's what read and see the prices as.  It's not special diesel oil or a "totally" different or special product.  Even per the Grand Cherokee owner's manual, it says the oil only needs to meet MS-11106 and ACEA C3..which is quality European car oil.  They even recommend Penzoil Euro L oil, easily found anywhere.  And an aftermarket filter is as low as $5 (as you point out)...but I'd use a higher quality one like WIX or MAHLE for $15-$20.

What's this special oil your dealership is using?  Is it FCA branded stuff??

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10825 on: April 18, 2019, 07:33:48 pm »

I was wondering if Costco would do it and at what price ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: April 18, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »

I was wondering if Costco would do it and at what price ?

I'd say they probably have the Euro spec oil...I've seen Euro cars there.

But I'm less sure they'd have the filter....unless perhaps it's one that's widely shared with other applications (which I kinda doubt).  Though in some parts of the country were diesels are more popular (say, Alberta)....it might be a usual stocking item.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:38:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: April 18, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »

It's not what I believe....it's what read and see the prices as.  It's not special diesel oil or a "totally" different or special product.  Even per the Grand Cherokee owner's manual, it says the oil only needs to meet MS-11106 and ACEA C3..which is quality European car oil.  They even recommend Penzoil Euro L oil, easily found anywhere.  And an aftermarket filter is as low as $5 (as you point out)...but I'd use a higher quality one like WIX or MAHLE for $15-$20.

shell rotella 5w40 iirc. they changed the required oil a year or two ago, because even their recommended stuff just wasn't cutting it at first.

on those trucks/jeeps, just use the right stuff... EVERY time I see a cab off a truck to fix one of those beasts, it's someone using cheap oil/filters or trying to milk the intervals. not worth it. doing it more often is more important than the name, but still... "losing" a hundred bucks twice a year to not have catastrophic failure is cheap.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: April 18, 2019, 07:47:38 pm »

shell rotella 5w40 iirc. they changed the required oil a year or two ago, because even their recommended stuff just wasn't cutting it at first.

on those trucks/jeeps, just use the right stuff... EVERY time I see a cab off a truck to fix one of those beasts, it's someone using cheap oil/filters or trying to milk the intervals. not worth it. doing it more often is more important than the name, but still... "losing" a hundred bucks twice a year to not have catastrophic failure is cheap.

Yea, I'm seeing that now (still reading).  The standard is now MS-10902   Which is still a Euro oil spec.

The odd thing?  With the revised TSB, this opened it up for cheaper oils.....That's kinda weird.....but good for the consumer!

Any idea what the root cause of the failure was?  What part was failing with the "old" oil??

**EDIT** 

For those that care:

The new TSB specifies ACEA A3/B4

A3/B4 requires a TBN (Total Base Number) above 10 and a Sulphated Ash (SAPS) between 1.0 and 1.6 %

"Old" C3 requires a TBN above 6 and a Sulphated Ash below 0.8 %

So the "old" version has a lower base stock and was a mid-SAPS formulation.

The revised has a higher base stock and is considered a high-SAPS formulation.

**EDIT #2**

As I continue to read, it seems the crank bearing failure is the most common failure.  They are on revision #4 of the engine block.  Cost of a long block only is $4k USD, $7,500 CDN.  Part # 68317975AA.  Would cost much more if oil shavings get ingested in the turbo.  Turbo is $4,500 CDN ($3K USD), part #68043064AA.

Maybe tooscoops can add to this from first hand knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:31:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:56 pm »

I fill the DEF on my own, from Canadian Tire. It's been about $20 every 15k km.  Is the filler in a decent spot?

The Golf needs low SAPs oil because of the particulate filter.  I'm surprised the JGC doesn't have one since VWs have had one for a long while. Different standards for SUVs/Trucks?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:36:48 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10830 on: April 18, 2019, 09:47:34 pm »

I fill the DEF on my own, from Canadian Tire. It's been about $20 every 15k km.  Is the filler in a decent spot?

The Golf needs low SAPs oil because of the particulate filter.  I'm surprised the JGC doesn't have one since VWs have had one for a long while. Different standards for SUVs/Trucks?
It was $44 for 2 jugs of DEF, that I filled on my own.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10831 on: April 19, 2019, 06:25:31 pm »
Hard top off, summer tires on....come on warm weather

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10832 on: April 19, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »
^ Awesome.  My sister did the same thing with her Unlimited yesterday.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:24 pm »
^nice work Fob!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10834 on: April 21, 2019, 08:49:12 pm »
Jeep looks good Fob! No running boards? I have the factory units off the CTC Jeep if you want them...

Despite the frustrating rain on the long weekend, I made the best of it, trying to get some car stuff done....

The N* V8 in the DTS is known for having a water pump tension pulley that seizes (right around my kms @ 130K now), throws the belt and causes a bunch of damage. So to be safe I figured I'd change it proactively. Got a new pulley and belt for <$50 and braved the rain to install them. Took maybe 30 minutes from start to finish, and I am glad I did it as the old pulley bearings did feel pretty dicey once I got it off.

Not *really* car related, but I built Austin his first car:

Then the rain stopped for Sunday so I was able to make a bunch of progress on the orange MGB - details in the S&S:

Came back and gave the Escalade a bath....256,000kms and 13 winters under her belt and the big girl still looks pretty. We don't exactly pamper it, but it's amazing what a little extra care can do:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:52:04 pm by Firm »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: April 21, 2019, 11:27:32 pm »
I took the running boards off to clean up a little rust. Thanks though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #10836 on: April 21, 2019, 11:39:26 pm »

Different winter and summer tire sizes I assume??
This thing worried me once...I didn't know there was an known glitch with the TPMS and was driving it across the city in a snowstorm when the light came on....Do I stop on the 401 in a snowstorm to check the tires? Or keep going since things felt OK....I kept going.

I was wondering the same thing.  On the LS, it calculates the rolling diameter.  I'm wondering if you had a different size tire/rim combo if it would throw the code because of an "out of range" error of the possible calculation.

I don't know TBH....just guessing.

Sorry for the delayed response on this boys. Both the summer/winter setup have the exact same tire size, 225/55R17. I looked nonstop for a fix online, but still can't find one. Really no idea why it's a nonstop light that's somehow triggered by the winter setup. I've had the summers on for a week or two now and the light has stayed quiet.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: April 22, 2019, 01:48:30 pm »
Put the tire changing crew to work!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: April 22, 2019, 01:54:57 pm »
This was a popular scene all over town this weekend. Saw a lot of cars on jacks having their tires swapped......hope this doesn't infuriate mother nature and we get a few feet of snow.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: April 22, 2019, 01:56:42 pm »
We've got mid teens here all week with a bit of rain in the forecast, not too concerned.