Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3016750 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10780 on: April 16, 2019, 10:17:06 am »
Similar system on the Passat. But it worked.  :run: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10781 on: April 16, 2019, 11:24:35 am »
Volvo went in to have the ceramic coating on the paint... so I am a Fit driver until Thursday.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #10782 on: April 16, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »
Mounted the summer wheels/tires. I am guessing 1 more season on them. Quite easy, similar to the BMWs I had with 17mm studs, except these have a small washer I guess to prevent over tightening, and a black plastic cover so it looks pretty and isn't exposed. Also, gave it a quick wash in the carport.

Went all over town to find a torque wrench, before giving up and borrowing my friend's. I don't want a 80 € fancy wrench with a certificat of calibration, I just want a torque wrench.

Rolled over 48k today, scheduled a RDV for the révision, brake fluid, and cleaning of the AC ducts.

ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #10783 on: April 16, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »
Mounted the summer wheels/tires. I am guessing 1 more season on them. Quite easy, similar to the BMWs I had with 17mm studs, except these have a small washer I guess to prevent over tightening, and a black plastic cover so it looks pretty and isn't exposed. Also, gave it a quick wash in the carport.

Went all over town to find a torque wrench, before giving up and borrowing my friend's. I don't want a 80 € fancy wrench with a certificat of calibration, I just want a torque wrench.

Rolled over 48k today, scheduled a RDV for the révision, brake fluid, and cleaning of the AC ducts.

Man those rims look amazing. Your car looks amazing.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10784 on: April 16, 2019, 03:25:39 pm »
Wash.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10785 on: April 16, 2019, 03:27:14 pm »
Does it fit in a car wash?   :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: April 16, 2019, 03:30:57 pm »
Does it fit in a car wash?   :)

Yup, both a wand wash, and an automatic (touchless only, so far).  It even fits with the mirrors out. 

So far it has fit almost everywhere I need it to, even a few parkades.  At our local doctor's office, I have about 2 inches to spare in the parkade.  I can reach my hand through the sunroof and touch the concrete beams from the drivers seat.  There was one parkade it wouldn't fit in, when I was going to a Jet's game, and the parking attendant took one look at the truck and waved me off.  That's okay, there was a parkade down the street that was tall enough. 

parking spots are feeling quite small these days, but I just end up parking at the very end of the lot.  I try to take a spot that is next to a curb or the end of the aisle, so that I can park ON the line, giving the person who inevitably parks in the space next to me (even though I park in an empty part of the lot) as much room as possible, in order to avoid door dings. 

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #10787 on: April 16, 2019, 06:16:26 pm »
Had the summer rims and tires put on both vehicles today

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10788 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:18 pm »

:iagree: 

Great colour.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #10789 on: April 16, 2019, 08:31:31 pm »

Nice car, great wheels, great colour.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10790 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:26 pm »
Swapped the summer/all season tires back onto the Lexus. Pirelli Cinturato P7, such great rubber.

Also, no more "Low Tire Pressure" light like I had all winter. The LS 430 doesn't actually have pressure sensors, but instead uses speed sensors on each wheel to determine if a tire is low. For some reason, the winter tire/wheel setup, even at perfect PSI, was triggering this light the entirety of the season. A pi$$ off, really...

The sensor calculates, essentially, the rolling diameter.  Must be a different diameter?

You do know how to reset/set initial pressure, right??  The button that's difficult to reach?

Yup. So I set all 4 tires to the right PSI, hit the button to reset it, and it's fine for about ten minutes. Then the light would come back on. I basically lived all winter with that. Initially it drove me nuts so I kept checking the pressures religiously, but they were always fine. The tires weren't leaking at all, but something was triggering the sensor. Now that the summer setup is back on, I've put about 500km on the car and no light.

Different winter and summer tire sizes I assume??
This thing worried me once...I didn't know there was an known glitch with the TPMS and was driving it across the city in a snowstorm when the light came on....Do I stop on the 401 in a snowstorm to check the tires? Or keep going since things felt OK....I kept going.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: April 16, 2019, 08:59:21 pm »

This thing worried me once...I didn't know there was an known glitch with the TPMS and was driving it across the city in a snowstorm when the light came on....Do I stop on the 401 in a snowstorm to check the tires? Or keep going since things felt OK....I kept going.

I was wondering the same thing.  On the LS, it calculates the rolling diameter.  I'm wondering if you had a different size tire/rim combo if it would throw the code because of an "out of range" error of the possible calculation.

I don't know TBH....just guessing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10792 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:37 pm »

I was wondering the same thing.  On the LS, it calculates the rolling diameter.  I'm wondering if you had a different size tire/rim combo if it would throw the code because of an "out of range" error of the possible calculation.

I don't know TBH....just guessing.

late 90's early 00'a GMs, like my grandmother's 2000 Century, used the same (similar) system, there was a red button in the fuse panel to reset it. I prefer it to the modern style TPMS because theres no sensors to replace, but it does beg the question; does changing tire size mess it up? Or is it just a relationship measurement (are all 4 wheels the same rolling diameter).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:50 pm »
I prefer it to the modern style TPMS because theres no sensors to replace,

You mean apart from the sensor in the tire/wheel?   ;D

Which I've had to replace...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:31 pm »

Really! That was the beauty of the system in the Buick...It used the ABS speed sensor to calculate the rolling diameter of the wheel based on it's speed relative to the others, there was no sensor in the tire/wheel.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: April 16, 2019, 11:40:56 pm »

Really! That was the beauty of the system in the Buick...It used the ABS speed sensor to calculate the rolling diameter of the wheel based on it's speed relative to the others, there was no sensor in the tire/wheel.

Oh..I thought you meant on newer cars!  They're mounted in the rims these days.....one at each corner...which is about as modern as you get.

Unless I misunderstood the part you meant...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #10796 on: April 17, 2019, 06:07:25 am »

Great colour.

Nice car, great wheels, great colour.
Thanks all ! They're standard on the GT trim level 18" (40-series sidewall) and you can get a 17" version that looks the same on the GT-Line on lower variants. And the plus side ? It still rides well, no crashing over bumps or speed tables ! Even the torsion beam suspension isn't too unsettled by midcorner bumps.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10797 on: April 17, 2019, 07:26:04 am »
Got the Alfa out of storage. She is just a tune up, detail, and a tire swap away from full-on summer mode. It is a good day.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:58 am »

Oh..I thought you meant on newer cars!  They're mounted in the rims these days.....one at each corner...which is about as modern as you get.

Unless I misunderstood the part you meant...

Yeah, you're screwing this up  ;D

Those rim mounted sensor like in your photo are trash....programming required, batteries die requiring the tire to be removed and re-balanced to replace, need multiple sets if you run winters. Plus the aftermarket sucks at them. Just not a fan...Have that style in the Cadillacs, Wrangler & Ram.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: April 17, 2019, 07:59:54 am »
^^^Or, you just don't run sensors in the winter...who cares if the TPMS light in the dash is on.

I like mine because it shows tire pressure at each tire...handy when hauling or towing.  You can see if any one tire is working harder than the other (based on the delta between cold and hot temps).