Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017040 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10680 on: April 01, 2019, 10:47:03 pm »
I'm really surprised that wasn't a goodwill fix by Toyota.

10 year old vehicle ???

11 years and one month.  I did ask though. as Toyota did pay for a bunch of a repair on the Highlander when it was eight years old.

The Corolla has been so ridiculously reliable I'm no that angry at paying for it, I'm just shocked at the price.

I want to understand the "how" and the "why" of this....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10681 on: April 01, 2019, 10:51:15 pm »
John, post the link to the TSB.  That may provide some insight.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10682 on: April 01, 2019, 10:52:22 pm »
Yeah. Why the sudden need for a flash. It's not like it was all of a sudden cold out.

$320 to go "beep-boop".  Absurd.

The "beep boop" description made me chuckle, also agree that the cost is crazy.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: April 01, 2019, 10:58:34 pm »

10 year old vehicle ???

It's really more that the fix was so minor and didn't cost the dealership anything to do.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10684 on: April 01, 2019, 11:01:11 pm »

10 year old vehicle ???

11 years and one month.  I did ask though. as Toyota did pay for a bunch of a repair on the Highlander when it was eight years old.

The Corolla has been so ridiculously reliable I'm no that angry at paying for it, I'm just shocked at the price.

You don't really know how much farting around they had to do to determine the fix and it is fixed.  At least you don't pay sales tax on labour (that is the case in AB I assume).  In TO that would be another $45.  :P   The only profitable revenue stream is Service. Getting nasty.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10685 on: April 02, 2019, 07:20:30 am »

Call it Apple-like or VW-like programming. They figured the Corolla was so reliable to they programmed it to do this and would give the dealers some money. Multiply this by the number of Corollas out there and that is a lot of money.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10686 on: April 02, 2019, 08:10:30 am »

Call it Apple-like or VW-like programming. They figured the Corolla was so reliable to they programmed it to do this and would give the dealers some money. Multiply this by the number of Corollas out there and that is a lot of money.

:rofl2:   :foil:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #10687 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:41 am »
The Corolla gave my wife some trouble on her trip to Vernon over spring break.  On cold starts, it would crank for 30 seconds before starting.  Crap.

Then I read about a TSB describing an ECU flash to deal with this.  Called the dealer, took it in this morning.  Did the trick!

The BUMMER?  $170 "diagnostic" fee plus $150 to flash the ECU.  Freakin' robbery.  But, no one else can do it.
Ouch. Usually shops waive or heavily discount the diagnostic fee if you agree to have them fix it.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #10688 on: April 02, 2019, 03:54:23 pm »
Had the winter tires replaced with the all seasons. The Blizzak winters are wearing nicely as after two winters on them I am down to 8.
The all season tires that my car came with after 3 year are at 8, they are Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.
The dealership washed and vacuumed my car (they always do) and changed the oil.
Also the dealership did a wheel alignment for free without me asking for it.
I also decided to get Apple Car play and got that installed and so far I like it a lot. It was $540 for it but i thought why not.
Sat in a brand new 2019 Mazda 3 Sport GS crystal red and was toying with the idea of buying it, I have to say that to me it looks so much better than in the pictures and did not find the back too dark and claustrophobic, the interior of the car looks amazing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10689 on: April 02, 2019, 04:18:44 pm »
Currently looking for clutch parts for the Jeep, it needs a replacement, buddy of mine with a shop says he will do it for $600 if I provide the parts, no way I will consider doing that in the garage for that little money.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: April 02, 2019, 04:22:21 pm »
The Corolla gave my wife some trouble on her trip to Vernon over spring break.  On cold starts, it would crank for 30 seconds before starting.  Crap.

Then I read about a TSB describing an ECU flash to deal with this.  Called the dealer, took it in this morning.  Did the trick!

The BUMMER?  $170 "diagnostic" fee plus $150 to flash the ECU.  Freakin' robbery.  But, no one else can do it.
Ouch. Usually shops waive or heavily discount the diagnostic fee if you agree to have them fix it.

The problem with owning a Toyota is that you don't really get a chance to build a relationship with your mechanic, to the point where he'll give you a break on repairs.  Unlike other vehicles where you'll be on a first name basis with him.  ;D :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10691 on: April 02, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
The problem with owning a Toyota is that you don't really get a chance to build a relationship with your mechanic, to the point where he'll give you a break on repairs.  Unlike other vehicles where you'll be on a first name basis with him.  ;D :P

This is the first time the Corolla has been inside a tech's bay in forever.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10692 on: April 02, 2019, 06:06:44 pm »
bought the Firestone Indy 500s for the Alfa
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10693 on: April 02, 2019, 11:21:12 pm »

Interested to see your impression of these tires.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: April 03, 2019, 10:35:29 am »
 Hopefully Toyota's reflash doesn't consist of disconnecting battery for 5 minutes then reconnecting. It must be more then that for that price. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10695 on: April 03, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »

Interested to see your impression of these tires.
will give a full review once they are on the car

will be a comparo to the Yoko S-Drive

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10696 on: April 03, 2019, 10:41:51 pm »
Will be putting some brake pads on the Land Rover. Found some Brembos on Rock Auto for super cheap ($36 US). Brembo has mixed reviews but these ceramics arrived and they look good. They even came with the brake pad weights. Wrapped in Brebo imprinted cloth. Look to be quality.

We will see.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10697 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:45 am »

If you own a 2014 and up Rolla CVT you will be getting to know your Toyota Service Advisor.  Toyota has a mega problem with these units and the previous "valve body" replacement fix didn't seem to do the trick.  This issue will drag on for years.  :-X :-[

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:15 am »
So, Imma put this here, because it isn't worth creating a new thread for, and I don't know where else to put it:

My brother blatantly stole my idea about replacing my pop-up with a travel trailer, and went and bought one. 

It's a 2011 Bullet 281bhs.  I'm assuming he got a good deal on it, because he bought it from his FIL, who has owned it since new. 

Now, since his two vehicles are a 2010 Honda Odyssey, and a 2013 Honda Civic Coupe, he also needed something with which to tow the trailer.  Guess what?  FIL to the rescue again, with an owned-since-new F150.

So, the bad news is that the F-150 is the last year for the 5.4L.  Had his FIL waited one more year, it would have been a 5.0, which is a much better (reliable) engine.  The good news is that the truck is a known entity, and his FIL as the original buyer had an extended warranty on it that just expired, and I'm pretty sure he had everything dealer maintained, so the truck should actually be in really good shape.  The truck also has a front bench seat, so it's a six seater.  This is important because it means they can fit their 4 kids in the truck, and still only take one vehicle when going camping.

They are going to keep the minivan (they have 4 kids) and the Civic for daily use, relegating the truck to camping trips and snowy days only.  I think the plan is to eventually trade both the truck and the van in for a large GM SUV like a Tahoe or Surburban, something that can haul the whole family and tow their trailer.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10699 on: April 04, 2019, 08:48:40 am »
^nice score for your brother  :thumbup: :thumbup:
You live everyday. You only die once....