Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017285 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10520 on: February 20, 2019, 12:58:17 pm »
Oh it is a blast, and measurably faster with the long tube headers...but yeah it is overly raspy and really, really loud. The stock JCW cat-back is just overwhelmed I think.
Anything without resonators by nature is raspy...

Are you running cats?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10521 on: February 20, 2019, 05:47:25 pm »
Oh it is a blast, and measurably faster with the long tube headers...but yeah it is overly raspy and really, really loud. The stock JCW cat-back is just overwhelmed I think.
Anything without resonators by nature is raspy...

Are you running cats?
Yes. and twin mufflers at the back a-la stock JCW exhaust...I have a cutout too, but only use that to make my ears bleed in a tunnel!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10522 on: February 23, 2019, 05:58:02 pm »
My birthday is in March, so I get one last round of Ontario's Etesting program before the program is binned April 1st....So today I decided I'd get the Escalade done to get the 'easy one' out of the way. Now, since the announcement my local place (where I actually used to work many years ago) has closed, so I do some googling and find a couple places close by...First place doesn't do Etesting on Saturdays (wtf?), next place makes me wait 45 minutes, then brings the truck in, gets it all hooked up, then says "oh, the system is down, you'll have to come back later".

Seems like with ~6 weeks left in the program nobody gives a :censor:, and I don't necessarily blame them, but anyone with a renewal this time of year has to suffer through this crap.

I eventually found a decent place about 20 minutes away, they took care of me in about 10 minutes, but I did have to listen to a few minutes of the owner ranting on about how our 'Drug Dealing Premier' is putting him out of business  ::)

1 down, 2 to go.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10523 on: February 23, 2019, 06:49:18 pm »
My birthday is in March, so I get one last round of Ontario's Etesting program before the program is binned April 1st....So today I decided I'd get the Escalade done to get the 'easy one' out of the way. Now, since the announcement my local place (where I actually used to work many years ago) has closed, so I do some googling and find a couple places close by...First place doesn't do Etesting on Saturdays (wtf?), next place makes me wait 45 minutes, then brings the truck in, gets it all hooked up, then says "oh, the system is down, you'll have to come back later".

Seems like with ~6 weeks left in the program nobody gives a :censor:, and I don't necessarily blame them, but anyone with a renewal this time of year has to suffer through this crap.

I eventually found a decent place about 20 minutes away, they took care of me in about 10 minutes, but I did have to listen to a few minutes of the owner ranting on about how our 'Drug Dealing Premier' is putting him out of business  ::)

1 down, 2 to go.

Bring the headphones next time! :-)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: February 23, 2019, 10:09:21 pm »

1 down, 2 to go.
I had quite the issue getting the  TT done!

They eventually had to do it old school tail pipe sniff method and they were NOT happy about it.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10525 on: February 24, 2019, 01:27:27 pm »
Was warm this morning (+7) so I thawed out the hose and gave the Escalade a bath, scrubbed the mats, etc. Felt good. Also flushed out the underside and wheel wells on the DTS.

Winds have picked up significantly and it's raining now....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #10526 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:31 pm »
Got the hitch installed at the Norauto in Illkirch yesterday !

- Electric module
- hitch (removable with a key)
- programming

They had to trim the aero kit to get it to fit properly. But the advantage of getting it done in France........"oh yeah we work on 308s, C4s, Clios all the time"  ;) . I was worried they wouldn't finish in time for me to drive home lol.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
That's an odd looking hitch.....

I went to install that air deflector / splash guard thing on the DTS over the weekend, turns out I don't have the right size push pin retainers....so I ordered some from Fastenal this morning. First time using them, so let's see how it goes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10528 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:53 am »

I think it is his sex toy.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10529 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:31 am »
I stopped keeping track of my fill ups and mpgs/lper100's...on everything.  I've got 6+ yrs of data on the Fusion, 5+ on the F150 and 5-6 on the Sonic...maybe I've just given up on being anal??  Hmmm...straight after all...sorry Scaerio  ;D :P :run:...enough's enough though.  Who the fack cares anyway.  I've done it since I got my first car because my dad did it.  But why bother.  :think: I need gas, I have to drive...it only serves as a reminder of how many thousands a year I spend on gas.  Which is way too facking much.  I hope the feeling of being free doesn't fade.

After years of not keeping track, I just use Fuelly now, which is pretty easy.  I usually just input the data on my phone right at the pump after I've filled (assuming nobody is waiting behind me).

It is easy.  But why bother.  What benefit is there in tracking?  The only time I do Fuelly is when I change vehicles.  I want to compare it my previous vehicle, and if I am getting similar results to other people with the same vehicle.

Fair Enough.  BUT, I keep all other records for my truck, so why not fuel?  When it comes time to sell, I'll have an invoice of every single thing done to the truck, and if I can offer up a log of lifetime fuel economy, well, it might not get me any extra money, but it's still cool to have and show, that yes, I was meticulous in maintaining the truck.
I keep the records for the Q5 on my phone with an app called mileage keeper. I have every fill up for 4 years since our local Costco opened.  Why. Just because.
I can track when winter gas appears and goes by the week and weeks when it is very cold. Even weeks when I have been in to TO.     Only takes a moment to do.
I guess I could possibly estimate the life remains in the oil and the spark plugs. Even over a long period, the tire wear.    I am not crazy ( yet) this is what 40 years of working in technical computing does to you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10530 on: February 27, 2019, 02:23:07 pm »
It is a very standard hitch. North America just uses a different setup from other countries.

Took the coupling off easily, no tools needed. Insert a key into the plastic dial to unlock, then pull+turn the dial while pulling sharply down on the coupling and it comes right out.

Nothing is visible once it's removed. The 7-pin electric module is also tucked to the side.

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/product-overview/towbars/detachable-towbars/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:24:59 pm by mlin32 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10531 on: February 27, 2019, 02:42:02 pm »
It is a very standard hitch. North America just uses a different setup from other countries.

Took the coupling off easily, no tools needed. Insert a key into the plastic dial to unlock, then pull+turn the dial while pulling sharply down on the coupling and it comes right out.

Nothing is visible once it's removed. The 7-pin electric module is also tucked to the side.

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/product-overview/towbars/detachable-towbars/

I couldn't find the towing capacity?

What are you towing anyhow?  Motorcycle trailer?
Mr Pickypants

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10532 on: February 27, 2019, 02:43:25 pm »

Knowing Europe's lax towing standards, he's probably towing a 24' travel trailer with that little car. 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: February 27, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »

Yeah, motorcycle trailer and then I also get to get a mountain bike carrier.

Stated on the carte grise, max towing capacity is 635kg (unbraked) and 1400kg (braked).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10534 on: February 27, 2019, 03:16:16 pm »

I think it is his sex toy.

Thats exactly what that is.....  :rofl: :rofl:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: February 27, 2019, 03:17:25 pm »
Ordered new drag link, tie rods and front brakes for the Jeep. Hopefully the weather cooperates so I won't have my hands sticking to the tools when they arrive.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: February 27, 2019, 04:19:50 pm »
When I bought the Highlander it was noted that the bushings on the lower control arm were starting to fail.  In the last week or so I've been noticing a clunk when going over larger pot holes.   So ordered a set of lower control arms and ball joints for both sides.

Rockauto for the win at $270 CAD shipped to my door. 

I'll get my mechanic to install them by the end of the month.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: February 27, 2019, 04:25:23 pm »
:heart: rockauto......

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: February 28, 2019, 12:04:44 pm »

Right? 

And the shipping is absurdly fast.  Ordered on Tuesday and they were delivered today.  Nutty.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: February 28, 2019, 12:18:21 pm »

Right? 

And the shipping is absurdly fast.  Ordered on Tuesday and they were delivered today.  Nutty.

I ordered yesterday, some stuff will be here tomorrow, the rest on Monday, can't go wrong with that.