Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017210 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10500 on: February 19, 2019, 09:09:43 am »
I have a spread sheet and was doing Fuelly...it's interesting to see the data, and yet...painful as well.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10501 on: February 19, 2019, 09:15:21 am »
I have a spread sheet and was doing Fuelly...it's interesting to see the data, and yet...painful as well.

Tell me about it.  I've owned my truck for 3 months, and I've spent $760 keeping it fueled.  And that's with a mere 3000kms on the clock.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10502 on: February 19, 2019, 09:44:51 am »
I stopped keeping track of my fill ups and mpgs/lper100's...on everything.  I've got 6+ yrs of data on the Fusion, 5+ on the F150 and 5-6 on the Sonic...maybe I've just given up on being anal??  Hmmm...straight after all...sorry Scaerio  ;D :P :run:...enough's enough though.  Who the fack cares anyway.  I've done it since I got my first car because my dad did it.  But why bother.  :think: I need gas, I have to drive...it only serves as a reminder of how many thousands a year I spend on gas.  Which is way too facking much.  I hope the feeling of being free doesn't fade.

After years of not keeping track, I just use Fuelly now, which is pretty easy.  I usually just input the data on my phone right at the pump after I've filled (assuming nobody is waiting behind me).

It is easy.  But why bother.  What benefit is there in tracking?  The only time I do Fuelly is when I change vehicles.  I want to compare it my previous vehicle, and if I am getting similar results to other people with the same vehicle. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: February 19, 2019, 11:51:31 am »
I stopped keeping track of my fill ups and mpgs/lper100's...on everything.  I've got 6+ yrs of data on the Fusion, 5+ on the F150 and 5-6 on the Sonic...maybe I've just given up on being anal??  Hmmm...straight after all...sorry Scaerio  ;D :P :run:...enough's enough though.  Who the fack cares anyway.  I've done it since I got my first car because my dad did it.  But why bother.  :think: I need gas, I have to drive...it only serves as a reminder of how many thousands a year I spend on gas.  Which is way too facking much.  I hope the feeling of being free doesn't fade.

After years of not keeping track, I just use Fuelly now, which is pretty easy.  I usually just input the data on my phone right at the pump after I've filled (assuming nobody is waiting behind me).

It is easy.  But why bother.  What benefit is there in tracking?  The only time I do Fuelly is when I change vehicles.  I want to compare it my previous vehicle, and if I am getting similar results to other people with the same vehicle.

Fair Enough.  BUT, I keep all other records for my truck, so why not fuel?  When it comes time to sell, I'll have an invoice of every single thing done to the truck, and if I can offer up a log of lifetime fuel economy, well, it might not get me any extra money, but it's still cool to have and show, that yes, I was meticulous in maintaining the truck.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: February 19, 2019, 12:07:30 pm »
Speaking of maintenance, and what not. 

I have a co-worker with an 11 year old Ford Escape that she bought brand new.  She maintains it meticulously, and its been pretty good to her.  It's starting to rust, so she's shopping for a replacement (Rav4, probably).  Anyway, her Escape has nothing to do with the story, other than to point out that the following story has nothing to do with her and her vehicular habits...she's a good egg as far as I'm concerned.

Her boyfriend, on the other hand....  Two years ago he bought a 2 year old 2015 Dodge Journey R/T at a well known local used car mega-dealer (RideTime).  I'm pretty sure he financed the entire thing, and he bought an extended warranty on top of it.   Anyway, my co-worker texts me this morning (she texts me whenever she has car related questions - I'm the resident office car geek), saying that her boyfriend is saying that a 'zero oil pressure' warning light came on in his Journey over the weekend, and has persisted until today. 

I went up to her office to talk to her about it, and ask her if there was oil in the vehicle (there was), in which case it's likely just a bad sensor, which shouldn't' be too expensive to fix.  She then launched into a discussion about how her boyfriend doesn't maintain his Journey, and how much it pisses her off.  Apparently, the only time his vehicle sees regular maintenance is when she borrows it for a road trip, at which time she'll take it for a little pre-roadtrip maintenance. 

The stupidest part of that?  The dealer where he bought his vehicle offers 'free' (they're not free, it's obviously built into the overhead at time of sale) oil changes for as long as you own the vehicle that you bought from them.  Literally all he has to do is book an appointment with them every few months and its taken care of. 

I just shake my head at some people.  He's got a vehicle that he's making payments on, including a warranty, yet not maintaining it.  Is he not aware that the warranty is null and void if he can't provide proof of maintenance?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10505 on: February 19, 2019, 12:31:08 pm »
She needs a new boyfriend.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10506 on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:11 pm »
Keeping mpg data on a Tundra is not a healthy activity.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10507 on: February 19, 2019, 02:16:08 pm »
Generally speaking, the on-board fuel economy tracking is good enough for me, so I don't bother to log it. In the old cars without tracking I try to remember to reset the trip when I fill up, and I often do a little calculation in my head whenever I fill up next just to make sure it's in-line with my expectations.

Because my commute sucks, I average $6-700/month in gas....more in the summer when I am doing more pleasure driving as well.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #10508 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »
Because my commute sucks, I average $6-700/month in gas....more in the summer when I am doing more pleasure driving as well.

Gross.
That would probably be 3-4 months spend for me. 
10 minute commute + fun car that needs filling about once every two weeks for the win!!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: February 19, 2019, 04:42:44 pm »
Filled the DEF tank. I last put some in around 8k km ago.

I thought it would take all 10L. Took only about half and a bunch sprayed everywhere. Ugh.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10510 on: February 19, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »
Generally speaking, the on-board fuel economy tracking is good enough for me, so I don't bother to log it. In the old cars without tracking I try to remember to reset the trip when I fill up, and I often do a little calculation in my head whenever I fill up next just to make sure it's in-line with my expectations.

Good thing you have press cars.  Thats more than we pay a month, including car payments! My wife uses around 500km a week.  I use around 250km to 350km a week. 

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: February 19, 2019, 09:35:50 pm »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10512 on: February 19, 2019, 10:17:38 pm »
bought a resonator for the Mini, because with the header installed it is LOUD. My neighbours must hate me.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: February 19, 2019, 10:24:18 pm »
bought a resonator for the Mini, because with the header installed it is LOUD. My neighbours must hate me.

Oh yea?  What kind?  Vibrant?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: February 19, 2019, 10:39:47 pm »

Magnaflow. My exhaust mech recommended it for my setup. Will mellow out the tone, right now it is too loud, and way way too raspy...could also be a lot of vibration happening from the increased flow/noise, rattling heat shields and such

Will get this sorted, just takes some time and fiddling. At least no more engine codes!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10515 on: February 19, 2019, 10:43:55 pm »

Magnaflow. My exhaust mech recommended it for my setup. Will mellow out the tone, right now it is too loud, and way way too raspy...could also be a lot of vibration happening from the increased flow/noise, rattling heat shields and such

Will get this sorted, just takes some time and fiddling. At least no more engine codes!

Oh man...should have bought Canadian...... ;D

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:05 pm »

could have, but Magnaflow was cheaper through my supplier and last time I tried to buy Canadian, I got burned.

Vibrant does some good work though

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:12 pm »

could have, but Magnaflow was cheaper through my supplier and last time I tried to buy Canadian, I got burned.

Yea!  I think you should have went with their Titanium resonator!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Oh..you have a Magnaflow hook up?  I'll keep that in mind!  :)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10518 on: February 20, 2019, 08:42:46 am »

That must be pretty loud if you wanted it toned down  :rofl2:  Looking forward to seeing the Mini again sometime soon, I'm sure it's a blast!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:05 pm »
Oh it is a blast, and measurably faster with the long tube headers...but yeah it is overly raspy and really, really loud. The stock JCW cat-back is just overwhelmed I think.